Support Poker: Black Armband Weekend

Inspiration doesn't always come in the timeliest manner, but it comes. This is my inspiration. It ain't much, but it's doing something, and it's more active than a petition. Please feel free to join in and spread the word. Fight against dictators and apathy, fight for poker! My thought: A form of civil protest against the "anti-poker bill", especially since res. George W. Bush will be signing it into law on Friday, Oct. 13. My plan: Poker players and their supporters wear black armbands for the (hopefully temporary) death of some of their freedom of choice. Wear it if you're playing in a brick&mortar card room. Wear it if you're playing online. Wear it if you're going to the store or dinner or a concert or a ballgame or a jog in the park. When someone asks what's that about, say how you're supporting poker and protesting government infringement and sneakiness on your freedom. A few more details: Wear the armband 72 hours (good ol' 7-2, a poker icon), from 10:02 am ET Friday Oct. 13 to 10:02 am ET Monday Oct. 16 (10:02 in honor of Doyle Brunson; the ET because that's the time zone where Congress came up with the law; don't know if Bush is signing it in D.C. or on the campaign trail). Friday-Monday because many poker players play into the wee hours and to/past breakfast with a good game going. If we wanted to do something more organized, we could do it (again) the weekend of Nov. 3-6 -- which is the weekend before the U.S. elections -- or Thanksgiving weekend. But some kind of immediate gesture after the bill's signed Friday would be timely and important; this issue and the evil political games can't get swept under the rug by apathy. I will be wearing a black armband for poker this weekend: online, at Harrah's and everywhere! Thanks for listening. Feel free to spread this idea/post any way you think will help. -- Bruce "shamanalix" Williams