Watching phil hellmuth play heads up on UB. Now... correct me if im wrong, but isn't it NOT a great idea to make it 5 bets with one draw remaining while holding a weak jack high? I mean, i suppose he saved 1 whole bet at showdown when he had it checked by the guy standing pat after the 2nd draw with an 8 high... but I'm confused.

I remember a while back Gus Hansen did a similar thing to Daniel (hand was in his blog). Gus maxed it (with J low), then stood pat, Daniel actually had the best hand at that point, but drew, paired his hand and Gus took down the pot.Phil was trying to induce a draw there with something like a 9-5 low making them worry their hand was not good enough, in that case the draw would have been a mistake and Phil would gain from it. Also, there was a chance, a decent one, the other guy was bluffing. It's fairly common in this game to see that happen. When he stands pat on the river Phil knows he's beat and doesn't bet out anymore. Really he played that hand fairly well it sounds like, although I don't know about 5-betting it, 2 or 3 betting would probably have been a better play with his hand. Then again I am very sure Phil knows more about that game then I do.

It seems like if someone is willing to make it 4bets after having stood pat on the previous draw, they're more than confident enough to stand pat the second time. To take a card on the final draw is suicide. You're probably less than 1/10 to make a hand superior to the one you currently hold - and any hand that you can honestly make it to 4bets with, you should be more than 10% certain that it's a winner. Phil would have to be banking on his opponent making a huge mistake.

"Probably" means on account of the fact that he's shown so much strength by making it 4 bets and standing pat, knowing that his opponent is standing pat - that it seems unfathomable that he holds any worse than an 8 high (which would be roughly 10% ot improve), or maybe in rare circumstances a 9 high. Either way, on average, he would have to be drawing fairly slim to improve unless he held something far weaker than what his bets suggest - and anyone drawing that slim probably WONT draw. But that's why im asking - because I have almost no experience with lowball.Given those circumstances, would YOU think you could induce a draw from a hand of the strength indicated by the betting?