mid-high pocket pairs with an overcard on the board

So it seems my biggest problem lately is to continue firing at pots when I have a pocket pair like 10's or J's and I am just being called (NL). I have almost always put in a nice raise preflop. My problem comes when the board comes with an overcard (usually a Q because I have an easier time getting away from a K or an A). When I get called I continually think their hand must not be incredibly strong so I keep firing because to let up shows weakness, I get bet at, and in most situations, have to fold. I seem to be losing too much of my stack lately in these situations. Anyone have any ideas for me on how to play these situations better? I play mainly SNG's and MTT, NL.

I don't play too much NL these days aside from some tourneys, so take this with a grain of salt but:In NL as opposed to Limit, I think checking becomes a much more desirable move than betting out in certain situations when you are out of position and are either way ahead or way behind. IMHO, the reason for this is that if you are too aggressive, a villain with an especially strong hand can keep letting you bet his hand for him, rather than being forced to sell his hand to you. Then he can make a big move on the river. I think a flop continuation bet is a pretty standard play with a big pair and only one (non Ace) overcard... but beyond that I don't think slowing down is such a horrible idea (Based heavily upon reads and board composite, of course).