the professor, the banker and the suicide king

I finished this book off quicky. I found it very interesting and quite amaing how these guys could risk that much money. While it was heavily in depth with each individual it was deep enough to get a good understanding of the players backgrounds. I think most people poker fans or not will enjoy this book to some degree. I never knew these events happened prior to reading this book so it made it that much more enjoyable.

i'm about a third done and it's an interesting read. right from the start where the author talks about ted forrest driving a lincoln mark viii the he got from when he staked hellmuth, and hellmuth got from staking mcevoy.another interesting bit is where andy beal wrote his own poker simulation program to analyze heads-up play. one of the interesting tidbits:What is the unpaired, unsuited hand with the lowest high card that would win more than half the time?10-8

I agree the simulation program sounds pretty cool. I also liked how the auther briefly goes into each players background a little. You wouldn't know from looking at Doyle Brunson was at one time real athletic, or that Greenstein left Symantec with no real fortune. and it seemed that lot of these players come from strong or above average education or from families that have a good educational background.

• 2 weeks later...
just finished it. would easily recommend for anyone interested in poker. this books makes lederer sound strong like bull.
This book and "Aces and Kings" are pretty good change of pace reading about poker stories.I bought them both and have them if anyone wants to buy them, cheaper then new. Very nice hard cover books.