no respect for matusow

I was playing on Full Tilt about an hour ago and happened to notice that the mouth himself was sitting at a play money table. I quickly joined the wait list and decided to observe for a little while. Mike appeared to be behaving himself very nicely, talking to me and other observers until some idiot said something along the lines of "hey mike, how bout you send me some of Vegas's finest blow??" Am I the only one who thinks that its total bull that people treat Mike like that and don't expect him to react to comments like that? He's one of the most skilled poker players in the world and judging from the way he interacted with all of us at the play money table, he's not a bad guy. Whats Mike got to do to get a little bit of respect?

A guy like him is always going to have 1/2 the people love him and half hate him. We live in a society where it seems like some people are not willing to give someone a second chance after they screw up. Mike screwed up, admitted to it and did his time. It is up to him to stay clean and I'm sure he will gain a lot of respect back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wont pretend to know Mike Matusow or judge him as a person, as I believe that each of us has equally reprehensible characteristics in our personalities. Reading that article about him in Cardplayer, doesn't make me sympathize with him for all of the things that he has done or been through, but it sure aids in having respect for him. He can be a phenomenal poker player when he is at the top of his game as evidenced in the 2005 WSOP. Great player, but I'll let someone else be the judge of his character and morality.

• 3 weeks later...
A guy like him is always going to have 1/2 the people love him and half hate him. We live in a society where it seems like some people are not willing to give someone a second chance after they screw up. Mike screwed up, admitted to it and did his time. It is up to him to stay clean and I'm sure he will gain a lot of respect back.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a matter of him staying clean -- all of the stories I heard involved him taking the rap for a friend. In response to some of the other posts on this topic, maybe it's living in New York that has rendered me immune to the kind of brash tactics Matusow employs in his play. He might be arrogant and needle players at the table, but it's just one of the tools he uses in order to disarm opponents. It definitely worked against Sheikhan in the main event, and I know for a fact that Sheikhan plays pretty high.