Legalising Marijuana In California?

Read in a European newspaper that California is going to vote about legalising marijuana. It could apparently be legal to use and posses a small amount if you are over 21? The reasons for this, according to the paper, are for example overcrowded prisons and tax revenues. What do you think about this? Wouldn’t the impact on the other states (and the world) be huge? Think California is the worlds 8th largest economy?How do you think the majority will vote?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think that California would be the first state out of any of them that would finally get this done. i think it will be close either way. i would vote yes and i dont smoke anymore . just so they will stop talking about it ,, 420 man , light it up

I don't think it will pass this time around.If it does, it will cause a multitude of problems.Last time they voted for the medical marjuanda someone forgot to tell the federal government that we made it legal, because they kept raiding pot stores for violating federal laws with regards to controlled substance.Are we supposed to allow full access to Mexico to import pot? If it's legal, and their border allows them to come straight into California, what law can we argue that stops them from bringing pot into this country. Our border control with Nevada and Oregon are open. Do other states have the right to not want pot to come into their state when they have made it illegal? Won't we basically have created a superhighway for drugs to come into this country through California? This is a good thing?The prisons will not be helped, the cells are not filled with people who had a joint and are now serving 5 years. The people in prison for pot laws will still be breaking the law because this new law will have a maximum amount of pot allowed. When someone has more than that, they are right back to being law breakers.Tax revenues will be almost negligent. No company will invest the money to build up a factory churning out joints while the federal government still considers pot to be a controlled substance. So you will have small little mom and pot factories that will basically supply homegrown, which you can grow and home yourself and not pay anything. It will not become a new industry.This is another leftist stupid idea, where pretending things will be wonderful because it sounds good as long as you don't look too deep is more important than actually being self honest and seeing this for the disaster it will be.All so some people can get stoned instead of getting a job.

I wont waste more time other than to paraphrase My Cousin Vinny:Everything that Balloon Guy said is bullshit.
Probably the most accurate statement said in a long time.
The real question is, what kind of bet can we get Balloon Guy to wager his vote on and lose.
Shot a 44 37 yesterday.So it probably won't be a golf bet this time.But if you can guess the grade I got in Trigonometry I will vote how you tell me.Two clues:1. I got a A+ in every math class up till this, except for my second semester of 9th grade when I only attended school 5 days total because of suspensions and eventual expulsion from the entire school district. I still pulled a D+ that quarter in advanced algebra.2. I took Trig after not attending any formal schooling for over 4 years when I then took a full load of American Gov., Intro to Philosophy and Intro to Psychology along with Trig.I got a D, A, C respectively in those classes. The American Gov class gave me the required credits to get an adult high school diploma.3. The next two semesters I only took computer programming which I aced, before I dropped out of community college.Only vb may guess this for my vote on the maryjuanda legalization law on California's next election.Extra credit if you can guess which job I had that I used trig in 50% of the time for close to 3 years.
Legal weed probably would be more expensive than illegal weed is now. No point.
The change in the price of weed is just one aspect here, and I'd argue that it's pretty insignificant.
Legal weed probably would be more expensive than illegal weed is now. No point.
RAND article discusses this and feels that the cost for an ounce of high grade weed would for about $38 per oz (before taxes) compared to $375 Today. One of the main columnists at the Mercury News has come out in favor of it.Weed is less dangerous than alcohol (I haven't seen any studies to the contrary) so it really doesn't make sense for one to be legal and the other not. If people want to smoke in the privacy of their home let them.Consumer Affairs ArticleHerhold article on Mercury News
RAND article discusses this and feels that the cost for an ounce of high grade weed would for about $38 per oz (before taxes) compared to $375 Today. One of the main columnists at the Mercury News has come out in favor of it.
Well there goes the pile of money from taxes argument.
Weed is less dangerous than alcohol (I haven't seen any studies to the contrary) so it really doesn't make sense for one to be legal and the other not. If people want to smoke in the privacy of their home let them.
What about letting them smoke in the privacy of a 'coffee house'?
Well there goes the pile of money from taxes argument.What about letting them smoke in the privacy of a 'coffee house'?
Yeah, the RAND article does make the point that tax revenues will be lower than most people thinkI don't see a problem with that either. I mean we have regular bars, cigar bars and hookah lounges. Laws against drinking and driving should apply to weed as well.Latest Field Poll shows that it will not pass however (48% - 44% against)
Well there goes the pile of money from taxes argument.
How so? The rate of taxation is not contingent on the cost to produce...
What about letting them smoke in the privacy of a 'coffee house'?
You mean limiting people to smoking in cafes?That's pretty stupid. It would be like saying you could only smoke a cigar in a cigar bar.However anyone with an IQ above 50 could be against the legalization of marijuana... It's about the most benign drug there is. It actually has creative benefits. Creative people will not understand this, but most all creative people already know it.In a country where where one of the nastiest drugs- alcohol- is legal, there is no case to be made in favor of keeping pot illegal (except it helps us use the justice system to ruin the lives of more noogies, but that's getting pretty damn expensive and in these belt-tightening times, we shouldn't be spending on that stuff )

I notice all you guys who are so quick to point out how bad alcohol is aren't ever mentioning the validity of outlawing it again.I guess as long as there is something killing people and destroying lives out there, we should use that as our benchmark to judge everything else?

How so? The rate of taxation is not contingent on the cost to produce...
we weren't talking about production cost. Only consumer cost, which is 100% the baseline for taxation amount
You mean limiting people to smoking in cafes?That's pretty stupid. It would be like saying you could only smoke a cigar in a cigar bar.
Many towns make it illegal to smoke in public, and my last two cigar stores now no longer allow us to smoke inside due to smoking laws / property owners not wanting to deal with state regulations.But let's keep demonizing cigars while we all support making another burning weed legal.
I notice all you guys who are so quick to point out how bad alcohol is aren't ever mentioning the validity of outlawing it again.I guess as long as there is something killing people and destroying lives out there, we should use that as our benchmark to judge everything else?
Man, I would really hate to live in a world run by BG.
Because we tried that and it did not work. The only good thing about prohibition was it gave us the Kennedys. Think about that.Also, Tanner, come on. One, you have no clue what the cost differential would be. Two, I would pay a lot more for legal than I would for illegal because I prefer to stay away from illegal activity as much as I can. I am sure most people would feel the same way. I don't want to deal with criminals unless I absolutely have to.
Because we tried that and it did not work. The only good thing about prohibition was it gave us the Kennedys. Think about that.Also, Tanner, come on. One, you have no clue what the cost differential would be. Two, I would pay a lot more for legal than I would for illegal because I prefer to stay away from illegal activity as much as I can. I am sure most people would feel the same way. I don't want to deal with criminals unless I absolutely have to.
You might have picked the wrong profession :club:
Man, I would really hate to live in a world run by BG.
You should be so lucky.Free cigars...fewer lawyers...politician hunting licenses...drug dealers would get the death penalty

And no one is addressing the real problems with CA making pot legal; the federal enforcement issue, the Mexican border and surrounding state's rights being weakened.But keep focusing on how booze is worse, it will help you pretend that that's the only issue.