Massachusetts Ballot Initiative

QUESTION 2: Law Proposed by Initiative PetitionPossession of MarijuanaDo you approve of a law summarized below, on which no vote was taken by the Senate or the House of Representatives before May 6, 2008?SUMMARYAs required by law, summaries are written by the State Attorney General, and the statements describing the effect of a "yes" or "no" vote are written jointly by the State Attorney General and the Secretary of the Commonwealth.This proposed law would replace the criminal penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana with a new system of civil penalties, to be enforced by issuing citations, and would exclude information regarding this civil offense from the state's criminal record information system. Offenders age 18 or older would be subject to forfeiture of the marijuana plus a civil penalty of $100. Offenders under the age of 18 would be subject to the same forfeiture and, if they complete a drug awareness program within one year of the offense, the same $100 penalty.Offenders under 18 and their parents or legal guardian would be notified of the offense and the option for the offender to complete a drug awareness program developed by the state Department of Youth Services. Such programs would include ten hours of community service and at least four hours of instruction or group discussion concerning the use and abuse of marijuana and other drugs and emphasizing early detection and prevention of substance abuse.The penalty for offenders under 18 who fail to complete such a program within one year could be increased to as much as $1,000, unless the offender showed an inability to pay, an inability to participate in such a program, or the unavailability of such a program. Such an offender's parents could also be held liable for the increased penalty. Failure by an offender under 17 to complete such a program could also be a basis for a delinquency proceeding.The proposed law would define possession of one ounce or less of marijuana as including possession of one ounce or less of tetrahydrocannibinol ("THC"), or having metabolized products of marijuana or THC in one's body.Under the proposed law, possessing an ounce or less of marijuana could not be grounds for state or local government entities imposing any other penalty, sanction, or disqualification, such as denying student financial aid, public housing, public financial assistance including unemployment benefits, the right to operate a motor vehicle, or the opportunity to serve as a foster or adoptive parent. The proposed law would allow local ordinances or bylaws that prohibit the public use of marijuana, and would not affect existing laws, practices, or policies concerning operating a motor vehicle or taking other actions while under the influence of marijuana, unlawful possession of prescription forms of marijuana, or selling, manufacturing, or trafficking in marijuana.The money received from the new civil penalties would go to the city or town where the offense occurred.WHAT YOUR VOTE WILL DOA YES VOTE would replace the criminal penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana with a new system of civil penalties.A NO VOTE would make no change in state criminal laws concerning possession of marijuana.
I think maybe, maybe I found something both sides can agree on? COME ON, IT'S LESS DESTRUCTIVE THAN ALCOHOL!Ballot question #1 may also be worth discussing (it is a vote on whether or not to repeal the state income tax). On the Pro side of that is that Massachusetts will finally be able to shed its Taxachusetts name, but on the Con side is the fact that we would have to fire all our police, teachers, firemen, road-builders, plowers, and a few other "essential" things. Less taxes though!
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this passed, what would the Mass judicial do when the federal suits come in and bust someone and apply federal laws to possesion?Like they do in Cal after they passed the medical MJ laws?

If this passed, what would the Mass judicial do when the federal suits come in and bust someone and apply federal laws to possesion?Like they do in Cal after they passed the medical MJ laws?
Exactly. Federal law still says its a crime.
They would probably assume that the feds are busy doing other things?I mean I am a self-described pothead, but not like I'm proud of it. It's somewhat the same way somebody would describe themselves as an alcoholic. What's my point? My point is that even though I enjoy smoking it, I don't follow anything about the "culture" or the national movement to decriminalize it. So in other words, I can't answer your question because I don't know the facts. I do know that I have friends who live in SF and LA, and they say it's ridiculously, stupidly easy to get and that it's decriminalized. There aren't feds raiding the legal grow-houses or the legal shops (where you need a prescription). I also don't know what the criminal laws in California are. This initiative though is not about medical marijuana, which is what I know exists in Cali.
They would probably assume that the feds are busy doing other things?I mean I am a self-described pothead, but not like I'm proud of it. It's somewhat the same way somebody would describe themselves as an alcoholic. What's my point? My point is that even though I enjoy smoking it, I don't follow anything about the "culture" or the national movement to decriminalize it. So in other words, I can't answer your question because I don't know the facts. I do know that I have friends who live in SF and LA, and they say it's ridiculously, stupidly easy to get and that it's decriminalized. There aren't feds raiding the legal grow-houses or the legal shops (where you need a prescription). I also don't know what the criminal laws in California are. This initiative though is not about medical marijuana, which is what I know exists in Cali.
Depends on where you are at in CA. My friend lives in Humboldt and has some plants, the county DA said we don't care about the small guys who have 20-40 plants for personal use. Which is laughable, because 20-40 plants produces pounds on top of pounds a year.
Do you think it should be a federal issue or a state issue? I thought Republicans were all for state's rights..?
I'm mixed on this one, because I don't think it should be legal at all.
I do know that I have friends who live in SF and LA, and they say it's ridiculously, stupidly easy to get and that it's decriminalized. There aren't feds raiding the legal grow-houses or the legal shops (where you need a prescription). I also don't know what the criminal laws in California are. This initiative though is not about medical marijuana, which is what I know exists in Cali.
It is ridiculously easy. There is a pretty big shop down the street from me. They have doctors on staff who will certify your "condition" and give you the pass. However, the feds have organized crackdowns and have from time to time come in and shut these places down. Of course, it's also ridiculously easy to get outside of this system, which many of us prefer because it doesn't involve registering yourself on paper as a marijuana user.
I'm mixed on this one, because I don't think it should be legal at all.
I don't really see the distinction between booze and weed, tbh.also, lawrence has something similar to this. getting busted with weed is like $300 ticket (as long as you don't have some ridiculous amount).
Why not?
It's a gateway drug that leads to voting democrat
Pretty much this.Plus this will turn into another 17 page thread and I will type a bunch and 90% of you will think I am wrong, so I don't really want to go down this path again.
It is ridiculously easy. There is a pretty big shop down the street from me. They have doctors on staff who will certify your "condition" and give you the pass. However, the feds have organized crackdowns and have from time to time come in and shut these places down. Of course, it's also ridiculously easy to get outside of this system, which many of us prefer because it doesn't involve registering yourself on paper as a marijuana user.
What are the criminal laws in Cali? Is it similar to what they're proposing in MA? Also yeah, none of my friends have a prescription out there because it's just a hassle.
What are the criminal laws in Cali? Is it similar to what they're proposing in MA? Also yeah, none of my friends have a prescription out there because it's just a hassle.
Its still criminal if you don't have the prescription. I don't really like the MA law, seems like they are confiscating your stuff. Why not go all the way and just let people keep a small amount?
No its actually still illegal in CA, its just overlooked in the more liberal areas.
Your reasoning is along the lines of BG's sarcastic joke? I don't get it (his joke I get, your reason I don't).
I was continuing his joke.
Its still criminal if you don't have the prescription. I don't really like the MA law, seems like they are confiscating your stuff. Why not go all the way and just let people keep a small amount?
FoulPlay19.jpg"You know what they say, Cops got the best stuff"
I don't really like the MA law, seems like they are confiscating your stuff. Why not go all the way and just let people keep a small amount?
Heh. First things first, imo. Changing the law so that an ounce or less is a civil offense resulting in confiscation and a $100 fine (cough, barely a slap on the wrist, cough) is a huge change.
I was continuing his joke.
:club:

"Let's put a ballot on the books that will most benefit people who don't register to vote and even if they are registered, they forget which day to vote."I don't like your chances

Regardless of what people say, marijuana is a gateway drug. I smoked pot when I was 15, and I graduated to other drugs after that. There is no doubt in my mind that if I never smoked pot, I never would have used other drugs. Of course I say this with 20-20 hindsight.It's ridiculously easy to get, and it's not dangerous. There aren't many drugs that are safe, cheap, and available. That's the reason it's a gateway drug.I don't really think people can argue that marijuana isn't destructive, addictive, or otherwise harmful. It's all of those things.But, the exact same argument can be said for alcohol and tobacco, but those are legal substances. I think that marijuana should be decriminalized.The war on drugs is a total waste of time and resources, and hasn't done anything to reduce the amount of americans consuming illegal substances. It could be argued that the war on drugs has cost our country more than it has helped.Is it time for a seperate thread on this?

I hate that they are raising my taxes on Cigars by 110% at a time, making it illegal for me to smoke these in most places, all while putting effort in legalizing a carcinogenic which stunts your sperm count.where's the justice?

Regardless of what people say, marijuana is a gateway drug. I smoked pot when I was 15, and I graduated to other drugs after that. There is no doubt in my mind that if I never smoked pot, I never would have used other drugs. Of course I say this with 20-20 hindsight.
I've smoked pot for 8 or 9 years and I've never tried any other drugs, nor have I wanted to. Ok except mushrooms once, but that's hardly what you're talking about. If pot didn't exist, maybe alcohol would have been your gateway drug? Blaming hard-core drug use on starting with marijuana is unfair, in my humble opinion. It's like being a hardcore, bottle-a-day vodkaholic, and blaming your alcoholism on when your parents used to let you drink half a beer at dinner when you were 14.
I hate that they are raising my taxes on Cigars by 110% at a time, making it illegal for me to smoke these in most places, all while putting effort in legalizing a carcinogenic which stunts your sperm count.where's the justice?
California =! Massachusetts? I figured you had the Cuban hook-up anyways...
California =! Massachusetts? I figured you had the Cuban hook-up anyways...
I wishAlthough for the most part I am just as happy with Dominicans and Hondurans
Regardless of what people say, marijuana is a gateway drug. I smoked pot when I was 15, and I graduated to other drugs after that. There is no doubt in my mind that if I never smoked pot, I never would have used other drugs. Of course I say this with 20-20 hindsight.It's ridiculously easy to get, and it's not dangerous. There aren't many drugs that are safe, cheap, and available. That's the reason it's a gateway drug.I don't really think people can argue that marijuana isn't destructive, addictive, or otherwise harmful. It's all of those things.But, the exact same argument can be said for alcohol and tobacco, but those are legal substances. I think that marijuana should be decriminalized.The war on drugs is a total waste of time and resources, and hasn't done anything to reduce the amount of americans consuming illegal substances. It could be argued that the war on drugs has cost our country more than it has helped.Is it time for a seperate thread on this?
I think it is time for a separate thread, yeah, but I gotta say that you sound really conflicted.