Hey guys, I'm new to Omaha and just played a hand that I'd like your advice on. We're 6 handed in a low limit omaha cash game, I'm dealt king jack 10 8 four different suits and I see the flop for real cheap. The flop comes king jack 7 rainbow. First guy checks, second guy makes a small bet, I triple it, fourth guy calls and then it's back to the first guy who makes a big raise. The initial bettor quickly folds and it's back to me with another person behind me. At this point I'm pretty sure that the guy in first position has the same two pair as me with the outside chance that he has trip 7's, the guy behind me probably had nothing but a weak draw as he likes to chase. I decided to move all in. The guy behind me folds and the guy who put in the big raise calls and turns over king jack queen 5 giving him the same hand but with a runner runner flush draw and 3 outs for his queens. He ends up hitting the runner runner flush and I lose my money. Did I do anything wrong here or is this an automatic call? Thanks a lot for your advice.

The thing with Omaha is to have strong standards for your flop raising and calling. I would NOT raise with 2 pair(even top 2 pair). That is NOT a raising hand in Omaha. Trips is the raising hand(not bottom set either). You were a little unlucky for him to flush you, but also consider the fact that there are always likely to have better outs than you. If a 9 had hit, it's possible your straight would have been losing to a higher straight(Q 10). You only want to be raising with the nuts or a draw to the nuts. I would just call the initial bet. The thing is you put him on top 2 or trips. You were never ahead and your draw was poor(the 9). Your all-in re-raise then either has to have the bluffing effect(he folds his marginal hand) or it's a bad play. He should have folded maybe with his hand, but if he's gonna call big raises with 2 pair, then you need to actually have a stronger hand to raise up in that game.

Guest Anonymous

You should have called instead of triple raising. You said you thought he had the same two pair as you, so at best you were splitting the pot (assuming same kicker). The dead money that you scared away would have been nice if that were the case. Anyway, you didn't have a good draw and you should have figured there were better ones out there. Pushing all in was crazy, but then again his calling you was a little crazy too.