I want to start branching out (NLHE gets boring) so I need some stud high help. Anyone know of some good links or books I can use to get me started on the strategy (stuff like, relative hand strength and full ring to smaller game comparisons would be helpful). I know that some principles translate from HE - position, odds, etc - but overall I really don't know anything about this game, except the rules, so whatever you can offer would be great.

Stud hi is a lot more of a "feel" game based on information. There isn't an abundance of stud hi material out there. A lot of it is just accumulating little tidbits of wisdom. For example:If you hold (67)8 but see some 5s and 9s on your opponents 3rd street door cards, getting involved and trying to make a straight isn't the best of ideas.. It's exponentially worse when you can see that there are 4s and 10s out of deck in door cards, too.It's weird.. At gunpoint, i could go on and on ad naseum about stud8, razz, o8b, nlhe, TD, PLO, etc.... If you put a gun to my head and demanded everything I knew about LHE and Stud Hi or else, I could give you "trust your instincts and pray".Repitition and re-evaluation... that's all i got for ya...

I've been studying Stud hi a bit (will check those books out though), and I just want to ask - am I playing TOO tightly or is this just how the game works full-ring? I fold almost everything, e.g. 55K with a 5 showing when third to act, two suited broadway with a junk third card. I know there are more factors involved, such as what's showing and who has yet to act, but these folds are standard, correct?Really when I say I know nothing about Stud Hi, I mean it. I feel like the HE newbie who asks "what's wrong with K6? it's got a king..."

My understanding is that patience is a huge virtue in Stud. I think it was Warren who said that if you're playing Stud correctly, you'll be folding on 3rd A LOT. Good starting hands don't come along all that often in Stud-hi.

My understanding is that patience is a huge virtue in Stud. I think it was Warren who said that if you're playing Stud correctly, you'll be folding on 3rd A LOT. Good starting hands don't come along all that often in Stud-hi.
Yep. Folding>raising>calling in many, many spots. It's even more lopsided in cash games, since the blinds aren't as enticing to steal in later stages.

So first impressions; as with many limit games, the variance is insane due to the suckouts being insane (I think they're suckouts, anyway). You cannot bet anyone out of a pot, ever, and it sucks when you cannot charge gutshots + the ace more than one big bet per street. It's just insane to bet high trips against four opponents and lose to some moronic backdoored gutshot. Aggression's good. I'm finding that calling kind of sucks. You want to play a lot of good stud-hi hands headsup, so I think 3rd street aggression - raising, reraising - is key. I need some equity numbers, like those I know in HE; e.g. QQ as a 4-1 favorite over JJ. Anyone know the equity for some random HU matchups without dead cards, e.g. 55A vs QQJ? AAT vs QQK? AK/T vs QQ/K (all unsuited) Very annoying - an ace falling on like 5th street, and straightforward villain leading into your pair of queens. I almost always fold when it's like this,Me: QQ/J24Vil: xx56AComplete/raise 3rd, bet 4th, fold 5thI don't have the numbers, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I need a queen or a runner fullhouse to beat aces upI fold tons of small-medium pairs, even with respectable kickers, especially when out of position or when bigger door cards have yet to act. I can fold 20 straight hands and not win a pot in like 50.all in all, it's a fun game, but I think I'd kill myself if I played this exclusively. At least I see why Stud ---> HE newbies now 1) overplay aces, as they're pretty boss in Stud and 2) donkbet, as in limit games the phrase PROTECT YOUR HAND means something.