moving up in limits

Many times on the forum I've read that you should be able to consistently beat a particular limit before moving up. I was wondering what was meant by "consistently beat."Thanks Orville

PokerTracker is probably the best resource available for this type of information.In short +2bb/100 means two BIG BETS per 100 hands in limit poker and BIG BLINDS in no-limit. that is to say; you're playing 2/4 limit, over the course of 100 hands you should make about $8 every 100 hands. At 3/6 you should be making about $12 every 100 hands. In no limit, since there is no big bet, this rule applies to big blinds. 1/2 NL means 4 Big blinds per 100 hands.A good rule of thumb is to play a large number of hands (10k) for these numbers to be legit. Anything less and you may be fooling yourself.

Note that if after 5k hands you're winning 5 bb/100, it's probably safe to move up. However, if you're only at 2-3 bb/100, finish playing a full 10k hands.Regardless, don't forget about bankroll management - always have 300 bb in your bankroll no matter what limit you're playing at!

There is way too many of these threads...
I agree but I tried using the search function and could not come up with what I was looking for. As a result I had to post the exact question I had.Orville

really 10K hands is a very small sample size. FOr a little more reliability you should have at least a 30K hand sample size for moving up. even the best pros will have downswings of 25K hands, and likewise for upswings. this is why the more hands the better.