caught cheatin ii

i read the other post about catching someone cheating and it reminds me of the time i caught someone cheating, though totally different circumstances because this guy was my friend. We were playing a cash game at a buddy's apartment. We had 2 tables going. I first thought my friend was cheating when he made a really really suspicious call on the turn to only catch a 2 outer on the river to make trips. I asked why he was calling, and he said he thought i was bluffing. So if i was bluffing, then why was he just calling. It was very strange to me.Later on that night we made one table and i was sitting right next to him. I had noticed that every time he dealt, he raked in a big pot. So i started watching his hands every time he dealt. And then i saw what he was doing. After the flop he would put the deck under the table and slowly look at the next cards after the flop. Then i saw him look at the bottom cards to see if they helped him. He grabbed one from under the deck and slipped it under the burn card. I was completely shocked at what i saw. What got me the most angry was that a supposed friend is cheating his other friends. That made my skin crawl. I excused myself from the next hand and had to tell my brother who was also there playing with us what i had just seen. I told him to watch his hands whenever he dealt. He saw the same thing i did. And everytime the card helped him out tremendously. So now came the next dilemma. What do i do?This guy is my friend. I knew for a fact that if i accused him of cheating he would deny it. I didn't know what to do. If it wasn't my friend i would not hesitate to sit there and accuse him. So i basically did not say anything the rest of the night. And once he left, i let everyone at the table know what happened. Everyone was extremely pissed off, and they had every right too. They asked me why didnt i say anything. I told them i didnt know how to approach accusing a good friend of cheating. I didnt know what to say. And the guy hosting the game said if i had said anything that he probably would of beat the shit out of him. Even though he was cheating and cheating his own friends at worst. I dont think violence solves anything. So i guess im kinda glad i didnt say anything. He has never played poker with us again. No surprise there. How would u approach a situation if u catch a good friend of yours cheating? In other words, how do u feel i handled the situation. Basically letting a friend off the hook of an ass whoopin, but at the same time finding out a "friend" likes to cheat you out of your money when everyone playing is just having a good time.

You should've took your friend aside and told him that you saw him cheating. Not saying anything was a big mistake. In fact, you cheated too. You had an unfair advantage over your opponents in that you had information that none of the other players had. You're lucky you didnt get the shit beaten out of you and have your money taken. It was really wrong what you did.

Under those circumstances, I would have pulled your friend aside along with your brother and told him privately that the both of you saw him cheating and either leave the game right now, or you will have to inform the rest of the table and deal with the consequences. If he denies your claim, then just tell him to leave. Don't feel bad about it, he shouldn't be your friend anyway if that is how he intends to treat you and others as one.

Well, if you're trying not to get his ass kicked, just simply looking him straight in the eyes and giving him a friendly reminder to keep the deck on the table at all times could have sufficed.

You should've took your friend aside and told him that you saw him cheating.  Not saying anything was a big mistake.  In fact, you cheated too.  You had an unfair advantage over your opponents in that you had information that none of the other players had.  You're lucky you didnt get the censored beaten out of you and have your money taken.  It was really wrong what you did.
I 100% agree with this statement.If i was the one getting cheated I would have been very pissed off at you for not telling us and let him cheat us the rest of the game. You had info and you didn't solve the issue. I would've been very tempted to kick your ass that night

lemme guess you didn't go to the prom with a girl. How can you not voice you opinion and let your other friends get bamboozled while you could simply watch him and not participate inthe hand. you sir were colluding and is a big azzhole. :club:

Ok, the wrong thing to do is to tell everyone behind his back. Either confront him face to face in front of everyone or do it privately. But don't go and tell everyone without giving the guy a chance to at least be present for his own lynching. You cheated by not letting everyone else know and then added to it by stabbing your "FRIEND" in the back.Total wrong way to handle that!Be up front with the guy and give him a chance to correct it.

I had a friend do that at a home game also. Then one hand we were heads up and I saw him put the deck under the table, however I told my brother at the other table to watch when he dealt. My brother walked over and grabbed his arms so he couldnt put the deck back up on the table and everyone could see he was looking at the cards. He got thrown out of my house and is never welcome back.

I don't see it as collusion or the OP as cheating. If he's afraid of confrontation then I completely understand where the OP is comnig from. You don't want to accuse your supposed good friend of cheating you at cards. People take shiit like that really personally and it can absolutely ruin a friendship. But personally, I'd make the game break up early as soon as you confirmed his cheating and take him aside and say, I saw what you did and if you ever do it again, I'll tear your balls off and feed 'em to the wolves...How's that for confronation?

I don't see it as collusion or the OP as cheating. If he's afraid of confrontation then I completely understand where the OP is comnig from. You don't want to accuse your supposed good friend of cheating you at cards. People take shiit like that really personally and it can absolutely ruin a friendship. But personally, I'd make the game break up early as soon as you confirmed his cheating and take him aside and say, I saw what you did and if you ever do it again, I'll tear your balls off and feed 'em to the wolves...How's that for confronation?
It would be cooler if you actually owned a wolf as a pet.It doesnt matter if you actually cheated, but if it could be perceived as though he was. How is it not cheating if you purposely stay out of the pot when he's dealing? When you have an unfair amount of information, it's cheating. It doesnt matter if you know the cards or you know someone else knows the cards.If you're 100% sure the guy's cheating, then he's not your friend.

I would pull him aside quitely, then calmly proceed to tell him that I saw him cheating and that what he was doing was wrong, even more so because he was doing it against his friends. then I would proceed to insert a 4 iron into his anal cavity and walk him around like my personal cheating stick puppet..................................seriously though i did catch my friend cheating, unfortunately he was known for stuff like that and I always feel bad cuz he's always broke. So i let it go

Well, if you're trying not to get his ass kicked, just simply looking him straight in the eyes and giving him a friendly reminder to keep the deck on the table at all times could have sufficed.
The best option out there. Thanks for posting what I was thinking!!

Okay, let me ask you guys this question then...Say my friend is one of the best guys you could ever meet...however...his she-devil of a girlfriend has been caught cheating (looking at the cards before flipping them over - yes on purpose..she knows how to play the game) and caught taking more money than she was supposed to in a cash game.We don't confront her or him about it because we are all good friends and 20$ here and there isn't that big of a deal..but...what would you do if you didn't want to upset your friend?Yes..all of us know about her.

I say the same. Hell, if I was one of the other players at the table while even OUT of the action, I would have reminded him after the next card, "Hey dude, no biggie - but you are supposed to keep the deck on the table, in front of you, while you are dealing - at all times. It's the rules".
He grabbed one from under the deck and slipped it under the burn card.
Being observant at the table is very key in poker. The mere fact that no one the other players noticed him looking at/moving the end card (Did you guys even use a cut card?) or never had a gripe about him taking the ENTIRE deck off the table to look at it makes it that much more weirder.Someone did once say though, "You can often find the ture character of a man by the way he acts at a poker table". Sorry to say, buddy, but your "friend" is an *******.
Absolutely agree. Gets the point across - and if he continues, then you take it to the next level.
Absolutely agree. Gets the point across - and if he continues, then you take it to the next level.
This should be standard practice. No one should ever take the deck off the table. Occasionaly a nervous newbie will do this from habits going back to his "Old Maid" days. A couple of warnings is all he gets. Everyone should take a few minutes and learn to shuffle properly. It's actually easier and faster to shuffle correctly. Flashing the bottom cards, rolling the deck, taking the cards off the table are all just sloppy card playing. --Blink
This should be standard practice. No one should ever take the deck off the table. Occasionaly a nervous newbie will do this from habits going back to his "Old Maid" days. A couple of warnings is all he gets. Everyone should take a few minutes and learn to shuffle properly. It's actually easier and faster to shuffle correctly. Flashing the bottom cards, rolling the deck, taking the cards off the table are all just sloppy card playing. --Blink
Anytime we see a deck move off the table we immediately stop, give the shuffler the other deck and tell him to shuffle on the table. Cards are also shuffled face down, I know some people can't shuffle, but there is no reason to pick them up and split them in two.

First of all, this sounds like a typical gong show of a home game where no one knows what the hell they are doing. Why is he allowed to put the deck under the table. Why didn't you tell him that the deck should always be above the table? Start using plastic cut cards.

I had a familiar situation, except the guy was one of my best friend's housemates. I visited them one night and we played a $10 tourney. First hand he deals he gives Aces to himself, and kings and jacks to two other people. You guessed it, flop was A-K-J. The guy with kings manages to fold cuz he already smelled something fishy after he went all in.The next hand the cheater deals, he gives me Aces. I already smell something fishy, but I decide to just limp in and he raises and the blinds fold and I call. Flop was A-K-Q all spades. I make a small bet and he goes all in and I fold.A couple of orbits later, he tries to get me again, gives me aces on an A-5-5 flop. I check/fold.I didnt really want to say anything because I didn't know him and he was a good friend of one of my best friends. But as soon as someone else got knocked out I asked him to deal and heagreed. But by then the cheater had too big of a chip lead to overcome. It was only $10 so it didnt matter much to me, but I totally agree with the OP on how lame itm ust be to have someone you know try and pull that garbage.

Deck on the table. Cut Card. No funky dealing. Deal, bet, burn and turn. Even when there is no cheating, it is better for everyone if convention is followed.As for confronting the dude, yeah, I say you put it out there while it's happening. Friend or not, that was totally wrong. Everyone at that table deserved to know as soon as you knew it was happening.