Why Are Black People More Athletic Than Whites?

Depends on the sport.Long distance running, hard to beat the East Africans.Olympic Wieghtlifting, dominated by white guys.Team sports, culture, $, and location play a big roll, like football in Brazil, Baseball in Cuba.Mental games are a free for all.

It's genetics, dieting and hard work. A lot of it is genetics alone though, African Americans tend to have more fast twitch fibre muscles, which is good for sports which require quick bursts of speed ie. basketball, sprinting, football and etc.

Honestly, and I'm dead serious, I think the only reason blacks don't dominate every sport is because they are just not culturally into certain ones as "whites" are. That having been said, all the other races aren't doomed. Look at what Greece did to the USA. The better you play as a team, the more you can outlast individual talent/ability.

Honestly, and I'm dead serious, I think the only reason blacks don't dominate every sport is because they are just not culturally into certain ones as "whites" are. That having been said, all the other races aren't doomed. Look at what Greece did to the USA. The better you play as a team, the more you can outlast individual talent/ability.
i think the cultural aspect is very significant, but i'm pretty sure there have been genetic differences found between people of different origins. and since those origins often are significantly correlated with one race, that race has better/worse abilities.i believe there are genetic differences for instance why people of african descent (regardless of race) are often better distance runners. since they're generally black, this makes blacks better distance runners.for things like baseball, we can see how the large percentage of latino players is probably a cultural thing.
OP= al campanis?FWIW, I'm gonna be monitoring this topic really close, if it gets close to being completely distasteful, I'm locking it down
Dont follow you... al campanis?Kdawg, i understand this is a touchy subject, wasn't trying to be provocotive, only open up some lively discussion on the state of sports in America today.
Dont follow you... al campanis?Kdawg, i understand this is a touchy subject, wasn't trying to be provocotive, only open up some lively discussion on the state of sports in America today.
yeah, Al Campanis. Google it dummy
I see. However, i was refering strictly to athletic ability, not managerial prowess. Ron you're pretty active today.
sigh, I believe Al Campanis said they are bred to be bigger, faster and stronger b/c they put the big blacks together.you asked why are they more athletic. Thats one theory. I already gave my theory.
sigh, I believe Al Campanis said they are bred to be bigger, faster and stronger b/c they put the big blacks together.you asked why are they more athletic. Thats one theory. I already gave my theory.
Well mister, according to the always reliable Wikipedia, Al Campanis said that blacks "may not have some of the necessities to be, let's say, a field manager, or, perhaps, a general manager" in a live interview. He may have also said something about being "bred", but I don't know for sure.
Why do people hesitate to say it's a direct result of slavery?
I don't necessarily think this is true; African blacks are also extremely athletic (relatively, of course). I think a lot of it has to do with the evolutionary enviroment. In other words, people in Africa had to run away from cheetahs and lions (making a big generalization) , so they evolved to be faster, jump higher.
I don't necessarily think this is true; African blacks are also extremely athletic (relatively, of course). I think a lot of it has to do with the evolutionary enviroment. In other words, people in Africa had to run away from cheetahs and lions (making a big generalization) , so they evolved to be faster, jump higher.
No offense, but, I laughed really hard at this.
No offense, but, I laughed really hard at this.
None taken. However, in Africa, it is difficult to farm, so natural selection would select the fastest runners, strongest, and most nimble (the best hunters).The humans that migrated on up to Europe, who eventually became what we now know as the Caucasions (sp), were not selected as much for athletic ability.Keep in mind that this is happening over tens of thousands of years.
None taken. However, in Africa, it is difficult to farm, so natural selection would select the fastest runners, strongest, and most nimble (the best hunters).The humans that migrated on up to Europe, who eventually became what we now know as the Caucasions (sp), were not selected as much for athletic ability.Keep in mind that this is happening over tens of thousands of years.
And then keep in mind that you bring those people to America, put them through physical hell to weed out(kill) the 'weak'..intentionally 'breed' the larger, stronger, better workers and there you are.

DD, is there actually much support for the theory of slave owners selectively breeding their slaves? I've heard that idea bandied about, but I've never seen any serious intellectual discussion/support of the notion.

Its a combination of genetics and environment. Ther is a big difference between Africans and African-Americans. Africans may be very competetive in the long distance running events, but they completely suck at short distances. The opposite is true for African Americans. Even in the long distance events, there's plenty of people from other races that are just as good as the Kenyans.As someone pointed out, when you talk about sports, you have to include all sports. Whites almost completely dominate swimming and its not Blacks arent trying to compete in this event. Field events like the shotput and discuss are largely controlled by Whites. I think people are confusing "speed" with "best athlete." Thats not always the case.