What in the hell were they thinking? Wow edmonton got shafted in this deal holy crap! The prongers of the league are obsolete. Terrible trade.
i dont like the deal either. i think they got a little trigger happy because they felt like they had to make a big move and could see that their efforts to get SN were not likey going to succeed.

I'm in St.Louis, and as far as following hockey is concerned, I basically only pay attention to the Blues. At first I couldn't believe they traded him, but from what I'm hearing here, they may have gotten a good deal. Can anyone tell me anything about any of the guys they got from Edmonton in the deal?

I'm in St.Louis, and as far as following hockey is concerned, I basically only pay attention to the Blues. At first I couldn't believe they traded him, but from what I'm hearing here, they may have gotten a good deal. Can anyone tell me anything about any of the guys they got from Edmonton in the deal?
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned it is not a good deal for the Blues. I don't care how good Eric Brewer is, the Blues had decent defense last year and they were SEVEN deep due to injuries mid-season. Get some friggin forwards!This decision was made solely because the owners are looking to sell, as I'm sure you have already heard. It explains why they shipped Pronger and kept Weight/Tkachuk :club:

Pronger is a top-flight defenseman, but he's been injury prone the past couple of seasons. Bottom line, if he stays healthy and contributes the way he has in the past, it's a bad trade. If he stays in form and is a shadow of his former self, it's a good trade (from the Blues perspective, obviously).

Pronger is a top-flight defenseman, but he's been injury prone the past couple of seasons. Bottom line, if he stays healthy and contributes the way he has in the past, it's a bad trade. If he stays in form and is a shadow of his former self, it's a good trade (from the Blues perspective, obviously).
Did you not watch him last season? He missed two games. One for a league suspension, one to rest up for the playoffs. His offensive numbers were much lower than they should have been because the Blues had no offense and every possible partner Pronger was paired with had some injury or another. I also remember him having at least +20 until Osgood forgot how to stop the puck. It was an awful trade for the Blues, no question about that at all.
Did you not watch him last season? He missed two games. One for a league suspension, one to rest up for the playoffs. His offensive numbers were much lower than they should have been because the Blues had no offense and every possible partner Pronger was paired with had some injury or another. I also remember him having at least +20 until Osgood forgot how to stop the puck. It was an awful trade for the Blues, no question about that at all.
My mistake, I was thinking of two seasons ago when he had injury problems. Hey, give a guy a break, I'm shaking the rust off like everyone else :club:
My mistake, I was thinking of two seasons ago when he had injury problems. Hey, give a guy a break, I'm shaking the rust off like everyone else :club:
I'm just frustrated that my favorite player got traded to a team that I will rarely get to see. You never quite get the feel for how he can change the tempo of the entire rink until you see him play in person.In all honesty, Blues hockey will be taking a back seat to anything else on TV this year. At least it was quasi-exciting with Prongs when the offense sucked... now I got nothin to look forward to! :D

Well the opinion of this trade seems to be very polarized. Personally, I think this is about an even of a trade as you can expect. The Blues get Brewer and two prospects (one of which is supposedly a blue chipper) and save some Cap space (something you have to consider). The Oilers get Pronger, who is a major upgrade on defense no matter who you trade for him. He was one of the best defenders in the league last year, coming off of a career threatening injury. I don't think there is any way he is not having an awesome season this year. In a division where the Oilers have to play 8 games against Bertuzzi and Iginla, a defensemen like Pronger can really earn his money. As a Nucks fan, I'm not looking forward to the Sedins trying to cycle the puck around him.

It does kinda seem like they're letting the team go to waste. First they let Pavol Demitra take his 35 goals per year elsewhere, then they trade their team captain and best defenseman. Their younger guys are going to have to step it up, because Dougie Weight isn't exactly the threat he once was, and Keith Tkachuk can't do it all by himself. Side note, I don't even remember how Patrick Lalime became a member of the Blues, details?

It does kinda seem like they're letting the team go to waste. First they let Pavol Demitra take his 35 goals per year elsewhere, then they trade their team captain and best defenseman. Their younger guys are going to have to step it up, because Dougie Weight isn't exactly the threat he once was, and Keith Tkachuk can't do it all by himself. Side note, I don't even remember how Patrick Lalime became a member of the Blues, details?
The Blues picked him up from Ottawa for a conditional 4th round draft pick. It was an amazingly good trade, and they SAVED money doing it by cutting Osgood loose.I was not sad to see Demitra go. He was ineffective in the playoffs and was awarded a ridiculous contract by an arbitrator. Weight shows some amazing compettitiveness in the playoffs, but they never found a good linemate for him. I still like Weight, and he's a great candidate for a new captain until Jackman can take that role.I have no excuse for Tkachuk. He only produced with Demitra, and Demitra was hurt quite a bit last year. Tkachuk took so many useless penalties and was suspended for needless things... I would be happy to see him and his absurd salary leave.

You never know, I wouldn't be surprised to see Palffy or Kariya or some top-flight scoring threat land in St. Louis. There's still a lot of free agents left, this weekend should be interesting. I know Buffalo won't pick up a really big name (not in their nature to mess with the team dynamic by bringing in an ego) but I'm hoping they bring in at least a solid defender to help fill some gaps.

Just to beat a dead horse, it wasn't THAT bad of a trade for the Blues. Eric Brewer is one of the 20 best D-men in the league, he played an important role in Canada winning Olympic gold and the World Cup. It is not like Pronger got traded for just prospects, or just Brewer. St.Louis got Brewer (only a slight downgrade from Pronger), prospects and cap space. In the salart cap era, this is about as even as it gets.Edmonton got a Norris trophy winner, and they sent a message to their fans that they can now acquire big name players, not trade them away for 50 cents on the dollar.

You St. Louis fans are overvaluing Chris Pronger here. First off with the new rule changes, defencemen like pronger are going to be a step behind. As far as being a big tough clutching/grabbing defenceman goes hes one of the most talented, so he won't be left behind completely like some of his contemperaries. That being said St. Louis is picking up probably the top young defenceman in the league in Eric Brewer. Not only has he been playing loads of important minutes for his whole career to date, but he is also a speedy puck controling defenceman that is going to fit nicely into the new rule changes.A bonus in the whole trade is getting Jeff Woywitka. Who is definetly one of the top young prospects in the AHL right now. Overall for Edmonton gets older, loses two prospects, and potentially give away the best player in this new system. If you ask me there is no way this trade can be seen as good for the Oilers.

You St. Louis fans are overvaluing Chris Pronger here.  First off with the new rule changes, defencemen like pronger are going to be a step behind.  As far as being a big tough clutching/grabbing defenceman goes hes one of the most talented, so he won't be left behind completely like some of his contemperaries.  That being said St. Louis is picking up probably the top young defenceman in the league in Eric Brewer.  Not only has he been playing loads of important minutes for his whole career to date, but he is also a speedy puck controling defenceman that is going to fit nicely into the new rule changes.A bonus in the whole trade is getting Jeff Woywitka.  Who is definetly one of the top young prospects in the AHL right now.  Overall for Edmonton gets older, loses two prospects, and potentially give away the best player in this new system.  If you ask me there is no way this trade can be seen as good for the Oilers.
They got older, but they got the best player IMO. The Oilers just completed another trade, bringing in Mike Peca from the Islanders for Mike York and a conditional draft choice. I can see Peca being very popular in Edmonton. These trades are also smart for Edmonton because they are able to shed some payroll while picking up big ticket players. Instead of signing Neidemeyer for 6.5 mill, they trade for Pronger (who gets 6.5 mill) but shed about 2 mill in payroll.
You never know, I wouldn't be surprised to see Palffy or Kariya or some top-flight scoring threat land in St. Louis. There's still a lot of free agents left, this weekend should be interesting. I know Buffalo won't pick up a really big name (not in their nature to mess with the team dynamic by bringing in an ego) but I'm hoping they bring in at least a solid defender to help fill some gaps.
I doubt it. I've heard that the Blues' ownership is looking to sell, which is why they're doing as much as they can to cut the payroll. It was probably the best move to ship him for the owners, but not the fans.As for Pronger being a clutching/grabbing type defenseman... I don't think so. He was good at play-killing. Did you watch the All-star game? Kovalchuk had like 3 1 on 1s with Pronger and was stopped every time. Pronger also had this amazing ability to feed breakaways from behind his own net. Look at his offensive numbers and tell me you think his strength was all in clutching and grabbing.
I doubt it. I've heard that the Blues' ownership is looking to sell, which is why they're doing as much as they can to cut the payroll. It was probably the best move to ship him for the owners, but not the fans.As for Pronger being a clutching/grabbing type defenseman... I don't think so. He was good at play-killing. Did you watch the All-star game? Kovalchuk had like 3 1 on 1s with Pronger and was stopped every time. Pronger also had this amazing ability to feed breakaways from behind his own net. Look at his offensive numbers and tell me you think his strength was all in clutching and grabbing.
We have lost a humongous part of our team. Pronger was our captain and our best player...and yes that included Demitra (gone), Tkachuk (soon to be gone), and Weight (might join Tkachuk and Demitra out the door). The situation in St. Louis is an absolute mess right now. Bill Laurie (heir to Wal-Mart and the owner of the Blues and SAVVIS Center) is selling the team and there is talk that the team may not even be in St. Louis next year. The only saving grace for St. Louis Blues is that the new owner will have to take over the existing lease on SAVVIS Center, and I just don't see an investor buying the Blues, the arena, decide to move the team elsewhere, and then have to pay for a second arena in a new city. However, it is still an unsettling feeling. Laurie pretty much saw the Blues as a consolation prize after his attempt to buy the Vancouver Grizzlies was stopped by David Stern since he wanted to bring the team to St. Louis so he could give the city another NBA team. He bought the Blues shortly thereafter, but he never spent anytime in St. Louis and tried to buy a Stanley Cup. He overspent on Tkachuk and Weight and neither of them have of them have been the stellar players that they are capable of being since they arrived here. He put the team in substantial debt has put the team and arena up for sale...leaving the Blues faithful wondering if St. Louis or Kansas City will be the Blues home next year.

how does anyone (heard it a ton on sportsnet and stuff) think that peca and pronger make edmonton an instant cup contender? they've still got basically no scoring besides smyth, they have no goalie and no defence past pronger and smith. pronger can't keep playin 30 minutes a game. and then they tie up 10 million for the next 3 years on these two. pronger had a much much better team surrounding him with st. louis, and they couldn't do anything. good pickups, exciting for edmonton, but not the instant-cup formula people have been talkin about.

how does anyone (heard it a ton on sportsnet and stuff) think that peca and pronger make edmonton an instant cup contender? they've still got basically no scoring besides smyth, they have no goalie and no defence past pronger and smith. pronger can't keep playin 30 minutes a game. and then they tie up 10 million for the next 3 years on these two. pronger had a much much better team surrounding him with st. louis, and they couldn't do anything. good pickups, exciting for edmonton, but not the instant-cup formula people have been talkin about.
I'm not going to say that Edmonton is a legitamite cup contender but Edmonton more HEART that any team in the league and that is something that Pronger never saw playing with skilled american forwards in St.Louis instead of having Gritty canadain forwards which Pronger will love in Edmonton