Stanley Cup Poll

Stanley Cup Champ  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see win the Cup?

• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Los Angeles Kings
    • Chicago Blackhawks

Last time the final 4 was the last 4 cup winners was in 1945..

Back then thats a lot easier with few teams.

Same question on my facebook..So far after 21 votes

Pittsburgh 9

Chicago 5

Boston 4

Los Angeles 3

Contrarian theory says LA will win the CUp, because majority of the people are always wrong..

Warning: long and pointless.

p.s. if we could put "headers" instead of signatures, I want that as my header.

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with 4 teams that I have less of a preference for/against. They're all very strong organizations who have won recently. Each team has pretty much offsetting pluses and minuses.

Boston - Minus: Brad Marchand, an annoying Boston fan in my office. Plus: Boston close geographically to Halifax, so lots of friends are fair-weather fans. Jaromir Jagr.

Pittsburgh - Plus: I live in Cole Harbour, so Crosby is a big plus. There's no one I dislike on Pittsburgh, which is a decently strong plus. Minus: I tried to put a significant bet on Pittsburgh to win the Conference mid-season, but it was rejected. It'll be annoying if that wins. Lots of bandwagon Crosby/Pittsburgh fans.

LA - Minus: I generally root against LA teams. California has enough going for it, and I have a hard time believing most fans there are 'real' fans. Plus: Recent history suggests there are in fact a lot of awesome hockey fans in California. The Kings success continues to have great success in developing a hockey base - lots of rich people in CA can afford to play.

Chicago - Plus: Great sports city. Jonathan Toews, Brent Seabrook, Keith, Crawford. Lots of their best players are Canadian. Minus: Patrick Kane. That it is a great sports city, but hockey is clearly the #4 sport there, so they don't "need" it.

Normally I'd lean towards underdogs and teams/cities who haven't won in a while. I don't think you can qualify any of these teams as either of those things. Yes, Boston is an underdog, but they won the Stanley Cup two years ago, and have won their division 3 of the last 5 years. They are an Original 6 team with 6 cups and have been one of the best teams in the league for the last 5 years (citation: Wikipedia), so I have a hard time thinking of them that way.

I'm leaning Pittsburgh and Chicago because of the Crosby/Canadian factor, but I really couldn't give a sht. This year's conference finals and finals should reward the "real" hockey fans with matchups of the best teams and best players and some fantastic hockey. I'm thinking of it kind of like the Memorial Cup - a championship of champions! We should get together the last 4 Cup winners every 4 years for a championship showdown!

Hockey is clearly NOT the #4 sport in Chicago.

What is it ahead of? (that sounds sarcastic. It's not!) I assume the Bears are the easy #1, White Sox/Cubs combined have more fans and/or would be much more popular if either ever won anything, and the Bulls still have a wider following.

What is it ahead of? (that sounds sarcastic. It's not!) I assume the Bears are the easy #1, White Sox/Cubs combined have more fans and/or would be much more popular if either ever won anything, and the Bulls still have a wider following.

In the last round the Hawks has 3x the TV viewership than the Cubs. In the long run they are #4, true, but they also has a terrible hockey team that was terribly managed by terrible owners. Maybe the recent success is just a mirage but at this moment in time I wouldn't say that they are "clearly" #4.

In the last round the Hawks has 3x the TV viewership than the Cubs. In the long run they are #4, true, but they also has a terrible hockey team that was terribly managed by terrible owners. Maybe the recent success is just a mirage but at this moment in time I wouldn't say that they are "clearly" #4.

Fair, though I disagree with your reasoning. They are probably the #1 team right now, but it's not fair to compare a team in the playoffs and with recent success. If any other teams were in the playoffs, their ratings would dwarf the Hawks.

Being #4 is mostly a compliment - for a team as good as the Hawks to be #4 in any city, they must have fans really supporting 3 other teams. Chicago is one of the best sports cities in the world. They don't "need" a good hockey team as much as, say, Winnipeg, or most other cities.

Hawks did have to overcome Wirtz and the other jokers, so you can easily argue that for a mature franchise, they're still on their way up in terms of fan support.

if you go back 40 years, the hawks were the number 1 team in chicago....bulls were way behind. the bears took over the city in the 80s and have stayed there. jordan and the bulls took over 2 spot, but in recent years they have fallen off. right now, the hawks are the most consistent and have the best chance for a title year after year. the cubs would dwarf the hawks with bandwagon fans when they are good, but over all popularity the hawks are #2. the fans are more loyal than bulls and even though media continues to talk about basketball for some reason. what the hawks have done coming from where they were before Rocky took over is huge. no ther team in all of american sports has had to deal with that shit.

your reasoning is sound danny, but its not clear like it was before.

if you go back 40 years, the hawks were the number 1 team in chicago....bulls were way behind. the bears took over the city in the 80s and have stayed there. jordan and the bulls took over 2 spot, but in recent years they have fallen off. right now, the hawks are the most consistent and have the best chance for a title year after year. the cubs would dwarf the hawks with bandwagon fans when they are good, but over all popularity the hawks are #2. the fans are more loyal than bulls and even though media continues to talk about basketball for some reason. what the hawks have done coming from where they were before Rocky took over is huge. no ther team in all of american sports has had to deal with that shit.

Interesting. In NY, hockey is #4 by far. The sport is mimicked and not taken seriously by a lot of New Yorkers. Fortunately there are a lot of loyal, die hard hockey fans in the city that make MSG a special place regardless.

Order of interest in NY: Yankees, Knicks, Giants, Mets, Jets, Rangers, Nets, Devils, Islanders (It is a Yankee town. Knicks and Giants go back and forth between who is #2. The Mets will always be at #4. They will never rise to #3 nor will they ever fall to #5. I can see the Nets passing the Rangers in a couple of years as the move to Brooklyn takes hold. Also the gap between the Jets and the Rangers is huge IMO. The Devils and Islanders are barely on the radar)

I have relatives in Chicago and they don't even know what a hockey puck is.

As far as they are concerned it is the Bulls, Bears, Cubs, White Sox and Hawks. I use to always hear that there were only 18,000 Hawk fans in Chicago who went to games.

I remember way back in the days of the Old Chicago Stadium, I told them I had to watch a game there before they tear the place down, they said what do you mean where the Bulls play? I still went and it was a 2-0 Detroit win.