first live tourney tonight

I'm in college, and my college is having their annual holdem night. It's technically free to enter, but the top 11 players get prizes and the winner gets a television. They said we start off with 300 chips, but they wouldn't give me a blind structure or the number of players. Anyone have any tips for how I should play? Tight? Loose? etc.

Follow DNA's advice.If you decide you actually want to try in this farce of a structure, then just recognize you're going to have to gamble early and often to get your hands on some chips (which may actually allow you to play some poker later on). So realize you're going to have to accept a ton of coinflips, since people will be pushing like crazed weasels with so few chips to start with.In other words, you're going to have to have a much higher portion of luck than even a normal tourney requires. Accept this and don't try and be cute. Following DNA's advice could really help implement this strategy.

practice counting out your chipsnothing is more annoying than a rookie that counts out $100 with $5 chips in stacks of $10.   then counts them againto make sure there are 10 little stacks in front of him.

If you've ever played an online Turbo tournament, follow that concept.Heavy betting with the good hands early, try to double up quick, keep pounding the board trying to catch AQ with your AK once you have a larger stack.Tight=wrong in this kind of structure. Keeping in mind position, play AT or better, 88 or better KQs, KJs for big raises early.Dev

If you've ever played an online Turbo tournament, follow that concept.Heavy betting with the good hands early, try to double up quick, keep pounding the board trying to catch AQ with your AK once you have a larger stack.Tight=wrong in this kind of structure.  Keeping in mind position, play AT or better, 88 or better KQs, KJs for big raises early.Dev
Very good advice. Dont try to trap that much, because you will most likely get paid off anyway... so just bet it. Most of all have fun and realize that it is going to be more of a crapshoot than normal. Dont get down on yourself if you come up snakeyes (hahahaha terrible corny pun alert)