the weirdness of being immortalized in cardplayer

(shameless self promotion/brag(?) post)Its poker related, otherwise I'd say it goes in Off Topic..When this got done a few weeks ago, I didn't think a thing about it, but now that it's in print, it feel weird.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...5082&m_id=65576Ray
I was reading that article yesterday. And I was like Ray Powers that name sounds familiar like a monk I once knew... could it be that FCPer? It is ....cool 8)
Pretty cool, actually. How did you get to know him in the first place though?
I run tournaments for trading card games; have for almost nine years. I have known him since he was a "kid" playing in Magic events. I have met pretty much every one of the "Magic turned poker player" kids, but Thomas (and his brother) are the only one(s) I really consider friends/talk to regularly.Ray
I run tournaments for trading card games; have for almost nine years. I have known him since he was a "kid" playing in Magic events. I have met pretty much every one of the "Magic turned poker player" kids, but Thomas (and his brother) are the only one(s) I really consider friends/talk to regularly.Ray
that's a funny story, can you by chance find out if these guys play online and where and screen names.
Translation- I like little boys.Just kidding
Translation- I like little boys.Just kidding
no you're not
nice article, you should talk Thunder into stopping by the strat forum :club:
He's so not that kind of guy. I love him dearly as a friend, but he's like the absent minded professor in that kind of thing. He would have neither the patience nor the focus to do it. :wink: Ray
that's a funny story, can you by chance find out if these guys play online and where and screen names.
NWP's list is pretty accurate for the names people want you to know, but the reality is most of them change names often and don't want people to know it's them, because then they don't get (as much) action.... Ray
(shameless self promotion/brag(?) post)Its poker related, otherwise I'd say it goes in Off Topic..When this got done a few weeks ago, I didn't think a thing about it, but now that it's in print, it feel weird.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...5082&m_id=65576Ray
He appears to have spent a long time practicing chip tricks, and whenever he gets in a hand, he puts on his cool reflective sunglasses so that we can’t read him, acting like Mr. Professional Poker Player at a free pub poker tournamentI play these events once in awile, and I had to laugh. Also, see my avatar.While it’s easy to think that I just got outplayed in this spot by someone trying to force me off my medium pair, that’s not what I got from these two opponentsThis is why I only play these events once in awhile. People suck. Eh.Good post. Your famous now. When are you going to play DN for 100,000? How are his heads up matches going to go now that he doesn't work for Steve Wynn? Any ideas?J in Colo.
He appears to have spent a long time practicing chip tricks, and whenever he gets in a hand, he puts on his cool reflective sunglasses so that we can’t read him, acting like Mr. Professional Poker Player at a free pub poker tournamentI play these events once in awile, and I had to laugh. Also, see my avatar.While it’s easy to think that I just got outplayed in this spot by someone trying to force me off my medium pair, that’s not what I got from these two opponentsThis is why I only play these events once in awhile. People suck. Eh.Good post. Your famous now. When are you going to play DN for 100,000? How are his heads up matches going to go now that he doesn't work for Steve Wynn? Any ideas?J in Colo.
You should see my blog today. Some guy read the article and was like "Hey, I think that's my friend you are talking about!" (regarding the poker kid)No heads up for me, and no I'm not famous.. well, any more than I was before for things unrelated to poker. You should put a (SW) tag on that whole last paragraph. :)Love your avatar. I actually have a good time playing pub poker. Its a chance to get out and have a couple drinks for friends, and play cards for fun, instead of for money.Ray

Hey Ray.You'll know the answer to this one. I used to watch Keller on UB a while back but it got to the point where he couldn't get any action.Do the UB high rollers fear him or is there just not enough of them for Keller to get a regular game? TO continue Royal Tours movie favs...Does this shirt make me look gay?How about now?

What do you think guys tucked in or out today?
It doesn't matter. It's all rigged.
You should see my blog today. Some guy read the article and was like "Hey, I think that's my friend you are talking about!" (regarding the poker kid)No heads up for me, and no I'm not famous.. well, any more than I was before for things unrelated to poker. You should put a (SW) tag on that whole last paragraph. :)Love your avatar. I actually have a good time playing pub poker. Its a chance to get out and have a couple drinks for friends, and play cards for fun, instead of for money.Ray
I like the relaxation of free poker too. Too bad I didn't get a free invite to the freerolled TOC. Oh well. I guess I have to stick to pub poker. I was serious about DNs heads up matches. Do you have any ideas? If his role as ambassador is over, then he is probably not getting paid anymore. So is he not playing these anymore, or playing them somewhere else? Or is it all rigged?
So there's no cash prize in pub poker, are there even ANY prizes? I've started noticing bars around offering these every now and then. What's the story?
There are several companies in the Denver Metro Area that offer free tournaments. Some offer prizes, some offer cash. I won an event a month ago, beat 80 or so other players, and won $50 bar tab and a Beck's poker top table. Nice for a freeroll. I have run my own tournaments, and I have played with the Denver Poker Tour, Denver Poker Parties, The National Pub Poker League. You might google these and your city, depending on where you are.
Hey Ray.You'll know the answer to this one. I used to watch Keller on UB a while back but it got to the point where he couldn't get any action.Do the UB high rollers fear him or is there just not enough of them for Keller to get a regular game?
Actually he still plays a ton on UB, mostly heads up, mostly late at night, early in the morning. I'll be sitting at work at like 8 or 9 am and he'll be pasting me hands in AIM...Action is definately a problem sometimes, which is why they are very private about new accounts/new sites. Don't want people to know its them.Ray
So there's no cash prize in pub poker, are there even ANY prizes? I've started noticing bars around offering these every now and then. What's the story?
Your mileage may vary.Some give gift certificates for the bars they are at. Some do nothing but points that feed into a bigger tournament. The one I go to has two events a night, the prize for the first one is KEM cards. The prize for the second one is a chip set. In addition, they have a quarterly tournament of champions, point based. This is normally for a pretty big prize. They sent someone to the WSOP main event this year, and this last one they put someone on a cruise.Not bad for free.Ray
I was serious about DNs heads up matches. Do you have any ideas? If his role as ambassador is over, then he is probably not getting paid anymore. So is he not playing these anymore, or playing them somewhere else? Or is it all rigged?
I have no clue. I don't know Daniel at all aside from the occasional posts back and forth on this forum, and considering the last exchange we had I kind of blasted him, I wouldn't really expect to be on his all time favorites list of people to meet. :sad:Not to mention if Daniel wanted to comment on his status with the Wynn on his own web site, that's his choice ot do, not mine. :)While I do get the occasional juicy tidbit into the pro poker world, its really nowhere near as exciting as people would expect it to be, and hardly worth gossiping about on the forums. Well, to me at least.Ray
I run tournaments for trading card games; have for almost nine years. I have known him since he was a "kid" playing in Magic events. I have met pretty much every one of the "Magic turned poker player" kids
LOL, you run Magic tournaments...I used to play Magic for the longest time...I remember playing against Dave Williams at more than a couple Grand Prix and Pro Tours lol...I think there is just something in a Magic players blood that makes him good at poker.Anyway just thought it was interesting to see someone else that played or even knew about Magic in the Poker community.