From Hero To Zero

So after building and playing wery well for most of the last 4 months, culminating in a 5k mtt win, I have officially gone on the crapper. No matter what i try, what game i play, i lose. Bad beats, bad play, bad attitude, you name it. Even the home game i usually frequent and crush (man, we talkin' about practice!) has become barren. All my online accounts have dried up (i havent put a i cent in in almost a year now), and my confidence is totally shot.. i cant even beat a $5 sng... i am taking some time off. i am re-reading Harrington's books. I am trying watching friends play and going over my results in poker tracker. Any other suggestions for getting past horrible runs like this? It's just killing me, cuz I know i don't suck this bad. ... do i?

Just got to hang in there and trust your play, although sometimes a break is needed just clear your head of the bad run. Just break long enough for you to get back on the level of confidence you need to play your best. JMO

i've seen bad runs last pretty long, anything longer than a couple months and you have to kinda do what you're doing.perhaps you're playing with too much over analysis and not enough straight forward thinking

You lost over $5000 in a matter of weeks? Exactly which out-of-your-bankroll-limit are you playing at? And what is the table name. Lose the money to me, I will manage it way better.

No, i cashed out about $4k from the win, and left the balance in my account, which is now gone. i may be playing poorly, but I aint that stupid.

No, i cashed out about $4k from the win, and left the balance in my account, which is now gone. i may be playing poorly, but I aint that stupid.
well there is your issue.you left your self with a grand and change, which you probably used to play NL cash games SnG's and otehr MTT's.probably in the range of .50/1.00 NL cash games, 20 - 30$ MTT's and 30 - 50$ SnG'sthis is out of your league, and going broke is very very easy
well there is your issue.you left your self with a grand and change, which you probably used to play NL cash games SnG's and otehr MTT's.probably in the range of .50/1.00 NL cash games, 20 - 30$ MTT's and 30 - 50$ SnG'sthis is out of your league, and going broke is very very easy
Out of my bankroll? Perhaps. Out of my league? No. ok, fair enough... maybe im playing a bit over my head bankroll wise. but that doesn't explain everything does it? i mean, for the last two years my style has served me just fine... and now its my major problem? i dunno, doesn't add up to me, but im trying to stay open minded about it. and how does that explain my poor live results and the fact that im now a fish in the $5sng game?btw royal, nice blog.. got a few chuckles for sure.
Out of my bankroll? Perhaps. Out of my league? No. ok, fair enough... maybe im playing a bit over my head bankroll wise. but that doesn't explain everything does it? i mean, for the last two years my style has served me just fine... and now its my major problem? i dunno, doesn't add up to me, but im trying to stay open minded about it. and how does that explain my poor live results and the fact that im now a fish in the $5sng game?btw royal, nice blog.. got a few chuckles for sure.
yes. Out of your League Yes.doyou know why?Because someone who can play in a .50/1.00 nl cash game and gamble, and push with OESD's and flush draws, and over pairs etc.. is going to have a different mind set, than the guy who feels he has been running bad, and his 1k is now down to 800. and he only has a good 10 more buy ins left etc..maybe you think, this is all false, but the you tell me, how you plan to climb back up to over 1k?the idea of a BR is to help Good players, stay on top. meaning you'll eventually start to win agian because statistics should show you are a winning player in the long run
(Royal, is that an Acura?)
ya, rsx type S, redlines at shifts at 8100rpm's. i suggest test drive one

Where i start losing my edge is after a few bad beats and my TAG style becomes Tight Passive. Thats when the bleeding really begins. Instead of winning lots of small pots and some big ones. I just lose big ones.Hope this helps.

out of your bankroll? no. out of your league? yes.you got it backwards

Dear OP, I know exactly how you feel. Your situation mirors my own and I am now doing my best to avoid the dread re-deposit (once again)...Best of luck...

Dear OP, I know exactly how you feel. Your situation mirors my own and I am now doing my best to avoid the dread re-deposit (once again)...Best of luck...
alright, i feel as though we have been a bit hard on him.I have to confess, i've gone broke numerous times online. Not always from running bad, sometimes i get carried away with withdrawals and then leave myself with an amount that is way under the limits i wasplaying.I think it was hellmuth who said, everyone goes broke at 1 point, and i've gotta say, if you do go bust, your second time around will only be that much more profitable in terms of your knowledge and experience
alright, i feel as though we have been a bit hard on him.I have to confess, i've gone broke numerous times online. Not always from running bad, sometimes i get carried away with withdrawals and then leave myself with an amount that is way under the limits i wasplaying.I think it was hellmuth who said, everyone goes broke at 1 point, and i've gotta say, if you do go bust, your second time around will only be that much more profitable in terms of your knowledge and experience
you guys aren't really going broke when you withdraw a mondo chuck of money and then play with the rest and lose it. To the OP, I thought you lost everything you've ever won when I first read your post. You are only down 1 grand. You aren't broke. Put that 4K back in and when you lose that (hopefully not) then you are really at zero.
you guys aren't really going broke when you withdraw a mondo chuck of money and then play with the rest and lose it. To the OP, I thought you lost everything you've ever won when I first read your post. You are only down 1 grand. You aren't broke. Put that 4K back in and when you lose that (hopefully not) then you are really at zero.
yeah, i know in the big picture i am up and thats my only solace really. i never said i went broke... i only said im running shockingly bad and i know its affected my game big time. The goal is NOT to go broke, to goal is to play well and be profitable, which I am not right now. with the way im playing - no confidence, etc - im wondering if it is really a good idea to reload a thousand of that, or just rebuild like i did before.
yeah, i know in the big picture i am up and thats my only solace really. i never said i went broke... i only said im running shockingly bad and i know its affected my game big time. The goal is NOT to go broke, to goal is to play well and be profitable, which I am not right now. with the way im playing - no confidence, etc - im wondering if it is really a good idea to reload a thousand of that, or just rebuild like i did before.
I understand how you feel. I've recently won a mtt but have been running bad lately too. I couldn't even beat my home game the other night which is usually pretty soft. I feel like a donkey lately. Go to no limit strat and read my post, you might feel better.
that money doesnt sit in a account, it gets spentso technically. yes, until i pawn off, or puke up the steaks, its a matter of being broke.it was obviously way too much that i withdrew. lesson learned
that money doesnt sit in a account, it gets spentso technically. yes, until i pawn off, or puke up the steaks, its a matter of being broke.it was obviously way too much that i withdrew. lesson learned
It's not broke by poker. i still don't think it counts.
I dont think its a good idea to reload a thousand back in. I was in your shoes. I withdrew most of my winnings & left 1k. Lost that & reloaded. Bad idea. You get tempted to play above your limits, specially if you play MTT's. The money is there so you think "why not buy in to the 500k or 750k event for $215?". Its inevitable, you will find yourself playing $50 + buy-in tournaments frequently only because you can afford it.
Where i start losing my edge is after a few bad beats and my TAG style becomes Tight Passive. Thats when the bleeding really begins. Instead of winning lots of small pots and some big ones. I just lose big ones.Hope this helps.
I am prone to this problem as well...

Similar run myself, I know I can play but the fundementals sometimes slip and you tend to start pushing hands that you would otherwise laydown.Take the break, but don't leave the poker mentality totally. Read and watch some poker. I would leave analyzing your own play until your ready to get back to the game. You'll see the holes very clearly when you return. MJ

So after building and playing wery well for most of the last 4 months, culminating in a 5k mtt win, I have officially gone on the crapper. No matter what i try, what game i play, i lose. Bad beats, bad play, bad attitude, you name it. Even the home game i usually frequent and crush (man, we talkin' about practice!) has become barren. All my online accounts have dried up (i havent put a i cent in in almost a year now), and my confidence is totally shot.. i cant even beat a $5 sng... i am taking some time off. i am re-reading Harrington's books. I am trying watching friends play and going over my results in poker tracker. Any other suggestions for getting past horrible runs like this? It's just killing me, cuz I know i don't suck this bad. ... do i?
I am in the same situation as you, I haven't been doing well after I won around $4600 in a mtt 2nd place finish. I left myself with about $750 to play with and I lost half of that, I think I got too confident and just started to donk off my money. Things still aren't going well for me, but I limit myself to 1 tourney/day now so I can only lose so much if I don't cash. But lately I believe I've been playing really well and just have gotten unlucky when all the chips are in the pot. But besides that...if I get really bored I play the .05/.10 tables with about a 2-3 dollar buyin.