Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse (And Other Disasters)

After seeing the responses to Katrina and other natural disasters as well as shows like doomsday preppers, I'm thinking about doing some prepping myself. I need a new hobby and this one seems to at least some practical application.

I figure I'll start with a bug out bag and then build extra supplies after that. Since I live in an apartment, I know if shit really goes off I'll most likely have to bug out to somewhere else. I thought I'd see if anyone else is into this stuff or if, as usual, I'm the lone nut that's going off the reservation.

So I've done some limited research and what you want to have ready seems to really depend on things like climate and what are you preparing for (natural disaster, thermonuclear war, general civil collapse etc). Myself, I have decided to begin preparing for general civil collapse and/or potential convential-guerrilla conflict. In other words, I'm not wasting weight/space on things like intubation equipment because if a comrade is that far gone, they're done, no help is coming that's going to save them. Neither am I preparing for being lost in the woods (compass etc) because I'm looking at more "road warrior" type scenarios. That being said, I want to have some things on hand that, should I be forced to abandon my vehicle before getting to one of my lay low positions, will help maximize my ability to survive the trip as well as prove useful when I reach my destination.

I'm still in the preliminary phase of putting together my checklist and here's what I've got so far (sorry no links as the list is general and not brand specific):

firestarter

backpack

thermal blankets

water purifier & extra filters

canteen

knife-fixed blade

knife-folding

boots

3 pairs wool socks

2 pairs heavy duty pants

2 heavy duty shirts

fleece hat

flashlight

headlamp

crank radio

aspirin

burn remedy

misc bandages

quick clot

medical needle/thread

sterilizing agent (alcohol/iodine)

small bandages

ace wraps

medical tape

medical scissors

poncho

duct tape

hatchet

TP

camp shovel

multitool

parka

hand warmer packs

gloves (1 pr. fabric, 1 pair leather)

water purify tablets

soap

MREs

filter mask/gas mask

binoculars

map

surgical gloves

nonlubricated condoms

wooden matches

drier lint/some other sort of kindling

multi-seed pack

fuel siphon and extra tubing

That's the start of it. I figure some I'll keep in a bug out bag others I'll keep in a waterproof box. I'm trying to create some redundancies that way if I have to leave something like the siphon behind or it breaks I can carry the tubing and use it in a pinch.

I just got this in the mail and plan to start reading it this weekend.

31D-31-Days-To-Survival-A-Complete-Plan-For-Emergency-Preparedness-MD-Creekmore-L.png

I'll probably add some amazon links and stuff, when I find something I think might be worthwhile to add to my kit. I'd appreciate any thoughts on items.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never knew you were black!

I'd say just buy more ammo so you can shoot people who invested in gold coins

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody

hahahahahahahaha of course I'm kidding this fucking thread was MADE for me. I'm going out now but tomorrow I am going to OWN this bitch.

but seriously I've got a lot of ideas and actual product links. like I just found and ordered some 5 year heat resistant food bars and I'm currently working on my bugout bag for my car (which includes car stuff like fix a flat and such).

freakin nutjobs!

So uh, how long do you think it's gonna be before you bug out? Don't you think you should start with having food/water to last at least a month?

What guns and ammo?

here is what I currently own:

M4 with about 500 rds (planning to go up to 1k)

'03 springfield 30-06 with about 200 rds

.40 S&W beretta with about 500 rds

.380 browning with about 500 rds

.270 winchester short magnum with 10x zeiss scope and about 300 rds

I also have a .22 lr but I need to get it to a smith. I know, I know 22s are cheap. but it was my first gun so there is some sentimental attachment there.

I also plan on picking up a 12 gauge.

You need a tent, nigga.

good point. I added a pack of emergency tents to my wishlist on amazon

freakin nutjobs!

So uh, how long do you think it's gonna be before you bug out? Don't you think you should start with having food/water to last at least a month?

Actually, I'm picking up a couple cases of water this weekend. I've already got enough dried staples and canned food to last a minimum of 2 weeks, more if I ration properly. If it's a situation where it looks like I'm going to need more, it's time to bug out. I guess the overall strategy I'm working with here is this: because of living a decent sized town and living in an apartment I'm going to operate under the assumption that most situations are going to make my location untenable. Therefore, I'm going to work on supplies to hit the road first. Once I have that in good shape, then I will considering devoting resources to making my current environment more survivable for a longer term engagement.

I mean, there is a very real chance I'm all assbackwards here, but that's why I bought the book. It's supposedly a good lesson on prioritizing and planning.

A couple things I'd really like to get some advice on: one is a good backpack, or even what to look for/how to shop for a good backpack; two is any knife recommendations. I've never done much shopping for real quality knife.

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody would ever judge me for buying condoms.

• Like 1

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody would ever judge me for buying condoms.

I never cared much either. Frankly, I think quite of few of the folks on doomsday preppers are dealing with some issues. Like the couple I saw where the wife was ill and the dude had a bad string of luck like losing his job and home. I think they felt so powerless regarding all the economic forces that seemingly conspired to take away his slice of the american dream they decided to try and control what they could. But, like I said, seeing the aftermath of things like Katrina, Sandy, heck even the flooding and tornadoes we've seen closer to where I live concerned me. Then one day as I was surfing and came across a zombie survival club and found that they also do a lot of work with government agencies tasked with disaster relief and such because if you're prepping for one disaster (even zombies) those concepts and supplies translate to more realistic and commonplace disasters like storms, earthquakes etc.

Maybe it's just because doing it tunes in to the cynicism and fatalism in me, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilty. But I need a hobby and something to engage me mentally and physically so wtf.

Not the slightest into this prepping. I think zombies / 2012/ doomsday preppers etc is a load of shit.. no offense.

yeah you've got a point: it's not like massive natural disasters or political unrest or any other survival situation ever really happens, and besides, if it does, the government will be there to help you.

but ANYWAYS, steering the conversation back to those of us who will be hunting and eating the less prepared, here is what I have so far on my car emergency kit:

• folding saw
  • blanket
  • flashlight
  • batteries
  • fix-a-flat
  • food bars - just ordered these
  • water - 2 liter bottles
  • knife
  • duct tape
  • first aid kit (just a simple one probably)
  • flares
  • waterproof matches & lighter
  • hand sanitizer

this is more of a all purpose "stuck in the snow" kind of kit, not natural disaster get the hell out of dodge type thing. going to walmart today to pick up some of these things.

now as far as bug out bags though, I'm going to post more later, but I think our kits would be a bit different because I live in a small town, private house, so most scenarios involve me staying put.

here's the backpack I have my eye on. might be a good one for you. cheaper on amazon but better pictures (and more options) at the site I linked.

but ANYWAYS, steering the conversation back to those of us who will be hunting and eating the less prepared, here is what I have so far on my car emergency kit:

• folding saw
  • blanket
  • flashlight
  • batteries
  • fix-a-flat
  • food bars - just ordered these
  • water - 2 liter bottles
  • knife
  • duct tape
  • first aid kit (just a simple one probably)
  • flares
  • waterproof matches & lighter
  • hand sanitizer

this is more of a all purpose "stuck in the snow" kind of kit, not natural disaster get the hell out of dodge type thing. going to walmart today to pick up some of these things.

now as far as bug out bags though, I'm going to post more later, but I think our kits would be a bit different because I live in a small town, private house, so most scenarios involve me staying put.

here's the backpack I have my eye on. might be a good one for you. cheaper on amazon but better pictures (and more options) at the site I linked.

I've got a few things in my ride like a blanket and extra coat but there's some stuff on your list I definitely need to add.

Here is the back pack I've been eyeing, seems pretty similar to the one you posted

http://www.amazon.com/Mil-Tec-Military-Tactical-Rucksack-Backpack/dp/B005KDBHWM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3H7EARAL5R0R1&coliid=IAMM54P1BYF4K

if by considered you mean have detailed blueprints with locations and quantities of supplies, then yes.

but no that would be pretty cool. if I ever won the lottery I would have me one awesome ass bunker. multi room, gun safe, air and water filtration, all kinds of crazy shit. how cool would that be?

and yeah hank, that does look like a good one. pretty sure I saw that one and thought it looked like a good one. much cheaper too.

so I gotta ask, why the nonlubricated condoms? was that a joke inclusion, or is it actually for getting laid during the apocalypse and you still want to be safe (and for some reason prefer nonlubricated?), or do they have some sort of other function I don't know about?

so I gotta ask, why the nonlubricated condoms? was that a joke inclusion, or is it actually for getting laid during the apocalypse and you still want to be safe (and for some reason prefer nonlubricated?), or do they have some sort of other function I don't know about?

I can't believe it took this long.

Yes, non-lubricated condoms have a plethora of uses in a survival situation. Water carrying, tourniquet, or even something as simple as a pillow.

In a real pinch you can put some water in it to start a fire.

plus you know you can't be raw doggin no zombie bitches

finished up my car emergency bag (except for the food bars; they should be in today or tomorrow). put everything in I mentioned above plus a fleece jacket, some camp soap, moist wipes, firestarter, and some jumper cables that I didn't even know I had.

so hank, I know you mentioned you live in an apartment. do you keep all your guns there or are they at your dad's house or something? I've just always thought it'd be odd to keep a bunch of guns in an apartment and that's been one of the big roadblocks for me for getting out of my shit house.

forgot I also added a roll of those blue shop paper towels. always end up having a need for those bitches on the road.

gonna also add fingernail clippers and possibly some of those 5 hour energy things, depending on how well they hold up in the heat. anybody know?

freaking wackadoos!

so uh.....

Prepping really depends on the type of disaster but there are some things that should be prepared for because they are guaranteed to happen at some point in time. The likelihood of disasters such as hurricanes, floods, and earthquakes obviously depend on location. None of these natural disasters, even on a massive scale would cripple a govt and infrastructure on their own. Half of California falling into the ocean, world wide stock markets crashing and the Chinese decide to invade.....someone, and a pandemic would probably send most of the 1st world into panic mode. Which is pretty unlikely to happen all at once but that giant earthquake is going to happen in California someday. I think it's not only foolish to not have food and water stocked up but pretty gosh darned irresponsible. Especially if you have kids.

Hank, you're in Nebraska yes? The yellow stone super volcano is something that's likely to happen at some point. Basically in these natural disasters it's all about getting to a safe place and having water, food shelter until help arrives. As we saw with Katrina, that could take longer than anyone would think. Something like a massive volcano would probably disrupt supply chains in surrounding states for possibly weeks and the ash fallout could absolutely cripple the US food production for years sending the population down a spiral of desperation that could cause a restructuring of our govt and putting an end to the united states of america as we know it. You get the idea.

A massive sun spot that barrages the earth with enough...um whatever it is that disrupts electrical stuff, to cause all electronics to stop working would pretty much mean civilization is over. Imagine your city or town without electricity. Now expand that to include THE ENTIRE WORLD. It's over johnny. Done. Now this is something to prepare for. We can all stockpile food, water and basic survival gear(very few do) but the natural disaster prep is temporary. Surviving the disaster event kind of comes down to luck.

It's a whole different ballgame if the power goes out. Everyone's world just became a couple of square miles max. Probably way less. Wherever you find yourself if something like that happens is where you're staying. Now that's a scenario built for prepping.

I don't think bugging out after a week is nearly long enough to get to the road warrior situation. You need to hole up somewhere where you've stockpiled water and food for however long it takes for the panic to end and the starvation to begin. A few months at the very least but probably way longer. The problem is, there's nowhere to go. There would be a mass exodus of people walking out of cities. That alone would create a giant ball of chaos and death. The ones left in the cities will quickly scavenge everything and eventually kill each other off or die of starvation and disease.

So whatcha gonna do about it? Stay the **** put and defend your position. Think of how much ammo, water, and food than you'd possible need for 6 months.....then double it. That's prepping friendo.

loonietunes!

I like this guy.

and yeah, that supervolcano, that thing's pretty gnarly huh? thought I remember seeing that that thing was so huge that if it did erupt, civilization was just done, no questions. like blocked out the sun for multiple years (ie no food for years). am I remembering correctly?

cause if so, then man, all I'm surviving for is to stay around to rape and pillage the leftovers for a few months before I die too. I don't know, sounds kinda sucky.

except for the rape of course.

• Like 1