Fifa World Cup 2010 Thread

u1_mascott.jpgA little over 30 days from now and World Cup South Africa will kick off. U.S. released the provisional 30 man roster today-Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnemann, Tim Howard.Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Jonathan Bornstein, Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Chad Marshall, Oguchi Onyewu, Heath Pearce, Jonathan Spector.Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Stuart Holden, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, Jose Torres.Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching, Robbie Findley, Herculez Gomez, Eddie Johnson.Still 7 more cuts to come, but no Charlie Davies, and no Freddy Adu. Overall I'm pretty stoked about this. Best sporting event in the world.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is our Team for this World Cup. Not as good up front as we are used to, but still well above most other teams.A strong organised midfield, and one of, if not the best defence for the 2010 World Cup.Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (AS Roma), Gomes (Tottenham Hotspur)Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (AS Roma), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Fiorentina), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo), Josue (VfL Wolfsburg).Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Grafite (VfL Wolfsburg).Seeing as this is happening outside Europe, so we along with Argentina are strong favourites to take this one home.****** 6-star countdown, here we go!

I wish I followed international clubs more. I don't know anyone anymore.What is a star equivalent to?
For every World Cup you win, your country gets a star above its crest, which is pretty cool, Brazil will have 6 if they win this one.

Sadly Scotland have no stars and won't even be at the World Cup. I won't be supporting them but England will be there though. This will give the UK media a chance to go mental for a month or so. To the outsider it might seem strange that I'm not supporting England but I'm Scottish and I only support Scotland. Its not that I necessarily want England to fail but I do object to the media and advertisers telling me that I have to support them. What also annoys me is that the English media are obsessed with 1966 (the year England won the World Cup). Its almost a game amongst Scottish supporters to hear for the 1st reference to 1966. Its usually very early on in a tournament involving 2 random teams and the commentator will squeeze in some obscure reference to Bobby Charlton something.Aside from all that I'm looking forward to the World Cup, the only thing that might interupt any of the matches is the impending birth of my twins, which lets face it, may mean I miss a game or two. :club:

My allegiances will be with England (sorry, Paddy), Australia and New Zealand, for the most part. 2nd tier favorite teams are Spain and Netherlands, which may seem like bandwagonning, but I swearz it isn't.Very disappointed Russia didn't make it in. Same, of course, goes for Scotland, but it's been no surprise they've had a difficult time qualifying with the huge amount of talent on European national teams.Look for a couple of African teams to do well: Go, Cote d'Ivoire!!!I'll be booing the following teams rather loudly: France, Italy, Argentina. I'd boo Brazil, but they are too entertaining and genial.It'll be awfully difficult for an underdog to make the group of 16, imo

Aside from England, I'll be taking a keen interest in Argentina. They'll be a real unpredictable, hit or miss team in my opinion. i.e - crash out v early or get to the final.Should be a decent World Cup, in terms of the quality of football on show. Looking forward to it.

I looove the World Cup. Beyond the U.S., I'll be rooting for Germany and Spain (my Torres man-crush recognizes no bounds.)

seems shocking to me ronaldinho isn't on brazil's squad. If they are deep enough to keep him off, they should run away with it.
I'd say it's a combination of poor squad choice and Dunga's style, rather than pure depth. Though that's not to say they're a shallow team, I just think the Ronaldinho omission is poor considering Brazil are only taking 4 true forwards. Argentina's, that is to say Maradaona's, squad choices look atrocious to me. Leaving off Cambiasso and Zanetti looks inexcusable.
I'd say it's a combination of poor squad choice and Dunga's style, rather than pure depth. Though that's not to say they're a shallow team, I just think the Ronaldinho omission is poor considering Brazil are only taking 4 true forwards. Argentina's, that is to say Maradaona's, squad choices look atrocious to me. Leaving off Cambiasso and Zanetti looks inexcusable.
They still let that coked-up maniac make important decisions? I thought he had a do-nothing government job to keep him both in the press and out of the way.Edit: I've done no research, and possibly not read more than one or two headlines about Maradona in the last decade, and I'm refusing to investigate my claims, choosing this edit instead of actual facts.
They still let that coked-up maniac make important decisions? I thought he had a do-nothing government job to keep him both in the press and out of the way.Edit: I've done no research, and possibly not read more than one or two headlines about Maradona in the last decade, and I'm refusing to investigate my claims, choosing this edit instead of actual facts.
He's the manager. It's retarded.
Maradona is def rolling the dice, instead of going with players that are super consistant, Idk how he leaves off Cambiasso and Zanetti both thats just lunacy. I think with Dunga its more of an attitude issue, as Ronaldhino has been all over the place for the last few years and is partying>>training and thats not Dungas style.

No Ronaldinho, No adriano and no Pato. I dont see Brazil going pass the quarters, def not makin the final.Even though im from Australia, Ill be rooting for Serbia. Although I dint think we'll win it, we'll def give it a good shake up. We have some players in great form. Olic, Krasic, Stankovic, Vidic, etc.... Dont be suprised if we get to the semi's.

Me and a few buddies are going to be in a "league" for the WC. If some people exress an interest, I'll set up a thread for it. Teams can't get picked until June 4th anyway, so no huge hurry. It'll be a private league and the info will get posted in a day or two.

Except when he tills his critics to suck it and keep on sucking it. then it's god.
Yeah, I want a deep run by Argentina just for more Maradona.Plus, he has requested special luxury toilet seats at wherever he's staying. Heated seats, dual bidets, and a blow dryer.
No Ronaldinho, No adriano and no Pato. I dont see Brazil going pass the quarters, def not makin the final.
Dunga gave Ronaldinho 3 years to get on the team, he didn't make it.Pato has been injured a lot(is he even fit?). Although I wouldn't have argued.Adriano is a complete joke.They have Gomez, Dani Alves, Melo, Kaka and Robihno, they've lost one game in the last 23 and won 18 of them. Minimum semi final for this team even with their tough group.And yea, I hope Maradonna goes far and I hope Messi puts on a wonder show. I doubt he will because Maradonna probably has no idea how to use/protect him.
Dunga gave Ronaldinho 3 years to get on the team, he didn't make it.Pato has been injured a lot(is he even fit?). Although I wouldn't have argued.Adriano is a complete joke.They have Gomez, Dani Alves, Melo, Kaka and Robihno, they've lost one game in the last 23 and won 18 of them. Minimum semi final for this team even with their tough group.And yea, I hope Maradonna goes far and I hope Messi puts on a wonder show. I doubt he will because Maradonna probably has no idea how to use/protect him.
Ah, to be in Maradona's shoes with a team that has Milito and Messi up front and guys like Mascherano and Samuel behind them. I don't know their team all that well, but they seem to have a wealth of 1st Division talent (similar to England, Holland and other big powers). And the group they are in looks pretty easy, except for Nigeria.Final roster isn't set, but I will be sUrprised if Zanetti doesn't play

Howard, Guzan, Hahnemman in goal; Bocanegra, Bornstein, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Goodson, Onyewu, Spector in defense; Beasley, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey, Donovan, Edu, Feilhaber, Holden, Torres at midfield; Altidore, Buddle, Findley, Gomez at forward.Findley over Ching?Looks good otherwise

Help settle a debate, name the top 10 goalies in the world in your opinion, its fine if you mention 7 or whatever, just make it more than 5.

Help settle a debate, name the top 10 goalies in the world in your opinion, its fine if you mention 7 or whatever, just make it more than 5.
I'll have a go:1 - Cesar2 - Reina3 - Valdes4 - Buffon5 - Cech6 - Casillas7 - Lloris8 - Van der Sar9 - Akinfeev10 - Gomes (just ahead of Given this season, imo)