After The First Hour...

Hey guys i am in a 700 man tourny right now, first hour just passed. I am sitting with below average chips about 300 remain. i have been playing extremely tight like some suggest on the forum, havent had cards better than AJo or a pp higher than 66 so it hasnt been that hard. Should i be looking to steel a lot now that the blinds are getting up there?? give me a quick break down of the second hour if you could thanks.

Hey guys i am in a 700 man tourny right now, first hour just passed. I am sitting with below average chips about 300 remain. i have been playing extremely tight like some suggest on the forum, havent had cards better than AJo or a pp higher than 66 so it hasnt been that hard. Should i be looking to steel a lot now that the blinds are getting up there?? give me a quick break down of the second hour if you could thanks.
You're going to need to double up if you haven't had much to work with yet. Steal once the antes start coming into play.

Try to get reads on players who don't protect their blinds consistantly, and try being agressive against them in position (obviously)This is a pretty pivotal point in the tourney, time to accumulate to accumulate some chips.Good luck sir.

i wasnt able to double up. i had an M of about 5 looking for anytype of decent hand which never came. The big stack at the table raised it up about 50% of the time it was folded to him. He was two to my right. He raised i went over the top of him though i knew that he would be priced in to call me. His hand range possibilities were so broad that I just made the decision to go for it and hope to either get lucky or not get unlucky. I pushed with a horrid K6s he called with a T7s of the same suite so i was ahead preflop but he caught a 7 and I didn't improve. I was truly card dead the entire time.Thinking back though I made a great call earlier in the tourny when i flopped bottom pair out of the bb and called a guys bluff. I then lost a significant pot that put me in a push or fold situation. There was one marginal situation where i would have called an EP raiser in the CO if i didnt make the mistake earlier. The bad called pretty much affected the rest of my tourny. oh well, i try again later.

i wasnt able to double up. i had an M of about 5 looking for anytype of decent hand which never came. The big stack at the table raised it up about 50% of the time it was folded to him. He was two to my right. He raised i went over the top of him though i knew that he would be priced in to call me. His hand range possibilities were so broad that I just made the decision to go for it and hope to either get lucky or not get unlucky. I pushed with a horrid K6s he called with a T7s of the same suite so i was ahead preflop but he caught a 7 and I didn't improve. I was truly card dead the entire time.Thinking back though I made a great call earlier in the tourny when i flopped bottom pair out of the bb and called a guys bluff. I then lost a significant pot that put me in a push or fold situation. There was one marginal situation where i would have called an EP raiser in the CO if i didnt make the mistake earlier. The bad called pretty much affected the rest of my tourny. oh well, i try again later.
sorry I was working and didnt catch this. With an M of 5 this early in the tourney I would be pushing with first in vigorish in MP or LP, any two cards. Youre going to have to get lucky a couple of times. On average you probably arent much worse than 60:40 on called hands, plus you have fold equity to bridge the gap to the 6:5 odds youre getting if called from out of the blinds or down to 5.5:5 from one of the blinds.While it would be nice to wait for the antes and get even better odds you dont have the luxury of passing up first in opportunities.

thanks for your response copernicus. I have one issue with first in vigorish though and it has to do with Ax hands. I thought about pushing when i had A6 in UTG+1 but with my tourny experience the only hands i will be called by i am a 2:1 dog or 3:1 dog every time. I would rather push in early position with an offsuit connector below a Q to feel like I not only have first in vigorish but am likey to be a 3:2 dog. And in HoH doesn't the push no matter the cards come into affect when your M is < 3? thanks for the suggestions.

thanks for your response copernicus. I have one issue with first in vigorish though and it has to do with Ax hands. I thought about pushing when i had A6 in UTG+1 but with my tourny experience the only hands i will be called by i am a 2:1 dog or 3:1 dog every time. I would rather push in early position with an offsuit connector below a Q to feel like I not only have first in vigorish but am likey to be a 3:2 dog. And in HoH doesn't the push no matter the cards come into affect when your M is < 3? thanks for the suggestions.
I share your dislike for Ax, x<T, and will avoid pushing with it until late position unless the table is tight.HoH probably does wait till <3 for any two cards, but I think thats a little late unless its a table full of very large and very small stacks. As long as the stacks behing me are predominantly in the middle I think an adjusted M of around 5 is justified by the odds.With lots of big or small stacks behind, then yes, I think you need to wait a bit longer because your FE is greatly reduced.