• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MoLeafsMo

MoLeafsMo

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

I was watching tv this afternoon and there were various poker tournaments on no less than six different channels at a time at one point, and it got me thinking:Do you think poker's ever going to reach a point where it's popular and well-known enough that they don't need to do a run-down of the rules of Hold Em and the various hand rankings?If you tune in to any sporting event on television, they don't explain the rules. Of course, poker isn't a sport, so that may not be the best comparison, but even other "pub night" programming like billiards and darts, if my memory serves me, doesn't have a similar intro to each telecast.Poker is still in its growth phase, but do you think the game will get to a point in its maturity when that preamble isn't necessary?Just a random question I thought I'd ask.

#2 Huge Pair

Huge Pair

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

In my mind poker will start to slow down within the next few years, it is like any other fad.

#3 asorewinner

asorewinner

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

as omeone who is in the media....its about growing the fringe viewr...so yes, for a long time, the basics will be covered..

#4 MoLeafsMo

MoLeafsMo

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

Of course it will slow down. Everything has a similar life cycle. But do you think when it stops growing and eventually matures, it'll reach a point where enough people know the game well enough that the hand rankings and rules of the game don't need to be explained beforehand?

#5 faisal

faisal

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

Huge Pair said:

In my mind poker will start to slow down within the next few years, it is like any other fad.
agreed.PPL well stop liking losing so much money.
user posted image

#6 Stylin_Fish

Stylin_Fish

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

faisal said:

Huge Pair said:

agreed.PPL well stop liking losing so much money.
Maybe they should recite the rules before each sporting event. Obviously that stupid bitch doesn't know not to walk on the track when others are running in competition.

#7 greatwhite

greatwhite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:poker, skiing, movies, following the yankees, knicks, and jets , and traveling
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit Omaha

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:10 AM

This game will most likely go up and down, but it is not pokemon. There is real money involved here and as long as that is part of the game it should generate interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users