my katrina challenge for everyone

I don't have alot of money, as I'm an E-4 in the Air Force. I don't have very much spare time to donate, because I'm a full time student in addition to my full time military job. I have some old clothing I can donate, but not a whole lot. So I've decided to give this a shot...Starting tonight and going until Monday night, I'm going to play as much poker as I can at mostly 1/2 (with a few tournaments thrown in). Every dime I make, I'm going to donate. Even if I hit a horrible run of cards and blow my entire bankroll, I'll dig up $100 to donate. Anyone willing to step up and do it with me? Even donating just an hour's worth of profit at .05/.10 would help... every little thing you can do will help these people. Feel free to reply, send me an IM on AIM at GoldGlove2Wilson, or e-mail me at GoldGlove2Wilson@aol.com; I'll keep posting updates on my progress here, if anyone in interested.Maybe prayers will help... but right now, I'd say skipping a minute of prayer and taking down a huge pot would help much more.Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing something quite similiar. And I have family members who have promised to match any of my donations up to certain limits. thumbs up on your thoughtfulness. Hopefully more players will join in the efforts.Edit: and for those who dont wish to donate, no worries, Ill find you at the tables and get your donation indirectly!! :wink:

Not to be an ass or anything but how come I never see threads like this for all of the other less fortunate people around the world that suffer on a daily basis?
TOO Late your an ASS. I think enough of our money goes overseas to help other folks. Time to take care of our own.
Not to be an ass or anything but how come I never see threads like this for all of the other less fortunate people around the world that suffer on a daily basis?
TOO Late your an ASS. I think enough of our money goes overseas to help other folks. Time to take care of our own.
While this isn't the time to bring up the obvious shortcomings of the American people in general, Fubar has a point. It may take some close minded individuals a while to figure it out, but it is there and its valid.Only in America does it take tragedy for people to take a stand to help people. If you're donating now, why weren't you donating last week, last month, last year. There are a ton of homeless people that were homeless before this happened. Ask yourself how much you did for them before you feel so great about yourself helping with a tragedy like this.
Then why aren't there posts on here asking to help all the homeless and sick? Yea there are none, thanks for trying though.
While this isn't the time to bring up the obvious shortcomings of the American people in general, Fubar has a point. It may take some close minded individuals a while to figure it out, but it is there and its valid.Only in America does it take tragedy for people to take a stand to help people. If you're donating now, why weren't you donating last week, last month, last year. There are a ton of homeless people that were homeless before this happened. Ask yourself how much you did for them before you feel so great about yourself helping with a tragedy like this.
and how many of them are homeless because of causes other than their own? most of the homeless people in America are homeless because of their own actions and because they've pretty much given up on life.

okay, you're right... I'm a prick. I only think about raising money for people who go along, living their lives, working hard to build a family, a home, a career... only to have it all ripped away by a natural disaster worse than any ever seen in our country before.Please accept my apologies for my unbelievable ignorance.

Then why aren't there posts on here asking to help all the homeless and sick? Yea there are none, thanks for trying though.
I think enough or our tax money goes to that. -Medicaid-MedicareHomeless??Why should I give money to someone who chooses not to work?? If I wanted to do that I would have your ole man sit around my house.But just in case you were not sure of any such programs here ya go:New Funds to Help End Homelessness The U.S. Department of Labor has announced the availability of over $27 million in workforce investments for the reentry and veterans' populations and faith-based and community organizations. Solicitations have been announced for the following grant opportunities: Prisoner Reentry Initiative, Urban Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program, Workforce Investment Board Partnerships with Faith-Based and Community Organizations, and Grassroots Organizations. End of lesson their will be a quiz next week.

vonteego, this is a great idea! yes, there are people who are sick and hungry every day, all over the world. however, for people to belittle this endeavor by bringing up other social issues at this time seems a little inappropriate! let's support this cause and our fellow americans (and for you canadians, fellow NORTH americans :wink: ) rather than tear it down. just my opinion...

vonteego, this is a great idea!  yes, there are people who are sick and hungry every day, all over the world.  however, for people to belittle this endeavor by bringing up other social issues at this time seems a little inappropriate!  let's support this cause and our fellow americans (and for you canadians, fellow NORTH americans  :wink: ) rather than tear it down.  just my opinion...
thanks... maybe we can get the thread back on track?
and how many of them are homeless because of causes other than their own? most of the homeless people in America are homeless because of their own actions and because they've pretty much given up on life.
Show me the data to support your claim. I bet if you actually do the research you'll find that your "assumption" is incorrect. Start with finding the definition of clinically homeless. I did six months of research on this topic last summer and fall - It is now my goal in life to try and design programs and methods to eliminate homelessness. I will be doing another 2 years of research beginnning next summer. PLease provide me with your data so I can use it as a comparitive starting point for my own hypotheses.
vonteego, this is a great idea! yes, there are people who are sick and hungry every day, all over the world. however, for people to belittle this endeavor by bringing up other social issues at this time seems a little inappropriate! let's support this cause and our fellow americans (and for you canadians, fellow NORTH americans :wink: ) rather than tear it down. just my opinion...
All we are asking is that you support your fellow Americans everyday, not just when there is a corporate media covered disaster. Help now, help next week, help next year. Most of all, you should have been helping last year and last month etc... see the point.I already donate 2% of my winnings to charities and causes, I didn't need a tragedy to prompt me.
All we are asking is that you support your fellow Americans everyday, not just when there is a corporate media covered disaster. Help now, help next week, help next year. Most of all, you should have been helping last year and last month etc... see the point.I already donate 2% of my winnings to charities and causes, I didn't need a tragedy to prompt me.
I should help America, you're right... maybe I'll join the military or something like that!
I think enough or our tax money goes to that. -Medicaid-MedicareHomeless??Why should I give money to someone who chooses not to work?? If I wanted to do that I would have your ole man sit around my house.But just in case you were not sure of any such programs here ya go:New Funds to Help End Homelessness The U.S. Department of Labor has announced the availability of over $27 million in workforce investments for the reentry and veterans' populations and faith-based and community organizations. Solicitations have been announced for the following grant opportunities: Prisoner Reentry Initiative, Urban Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program, Workforce Investment Board Partnerships with Faith-Based and Community Organizations, and Grassroots Organizations. End of lesson their will be a quiz next week.
To some ignorance is bliss.

Too much ingorance posted above me to respond in full. 27 million might seem like a lot but its not. I was never saying that this wasn't a good idea or a stupid idea, just commenting that no one seems to care about peoples problems when they aren't covered by the mass media. Thats all.

To some ignorance is bliss.
Great Response! Do you write your own material?? Or have a team on staff to help you with the clever postings? I gave several examples and all you can say is jack sheoot. Im going on a limb here and taking a wild guess that you lean a little left in the political arena.

Enough of the bickering back and forth. America gave BILLIONS to The Tsunami victims and continue to give BILLIONS to 3rd world countries such as Africa, Haiti & others. Hurricane Katrina has killed thousands and left thousands without homes FOREVER. Time to take care of each other here in The USA right now! The world will be fine for awhile as we take care of our own people in this country. As for homeless people, until you walk a mile in there shoes try not to judge them, not all homeless people are drunks and lazy, some lack the social skills or education to make it in society.God Blesswww.redcross.org

Enough of the bickering back and forth. America gave BILLIONS to The Tsunami victims and continue to give BILLIONS to 3rd world countries such as Africa, Haiti & others. Hurricane Katrina has killed thousands and left thousands without homes FOREVER. Time to take care of each other here in The USA right now! The world will be fine for awhile as we take care of our own people in this country. As for homeless people, until you walk a mile in there shoes try not to judge them, not all homeless people are drunks and lazy, some lack the social skills or education to make it in society.God Blesswww.redcross.org
good call, Oz... now, is anyone else going to join me, or not?
. Time to take care of each other here in The USA right now! The world will be fine for awhile as we take care of our own people in this country.
Yes, I am sure the rest of the world will be just fine while Uncle Sam stops bombing and bullying us all for a while.PS-> I have already donated, so please respond kindly

Holy crap, a guy puts through a thread for donations and we are up in arms. We need to knock it off and help out donating. If youve donated to less fortunate people in the past, God bless you. If not, then here's your chance. Whatever the case, lets not argue.