I got "The Poker PLayer's Bible" by Lou Krieger for Christmas, and it defines how to learn the outs and your odds. However, it is described in a -very- confusing manner. Does anyone have a good book or website that explains it to a non-mathematician! I would love to learn this, but it seems so difficult to learn..-brian

• 2 weeks later...
I got "The Poker PLayer's Bible" by Lou Krieger for Christmas, and it defines how to learn the outs and your odds.  However, it is described in a -very- confusing manner.  Does anyone have a good book or website that explains it to a non-mathematician!  I would love to learn this, but it seems so difficult to learn..-brian
I read this article when I first started trying to progress my game, and hopefully it will help you as much as did for me.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...913&m_id=88
lol, you sent a link written by Lou Kreiger, the guy he is complaining about. I also found this link very helpful.
I got "The Poker PLayer's Bible" by Lou Krieger for Christmas, and it defines how to learn the outs and your odds.  However, it is described in a -very- confusing manner.  Does anyone have a good book or website that explains it to a non-mathematician!  I would love to learn this, but it seems so difficult to learn..-brian
I read this article when I first started trying to progress my game, and hopefully it will help you as much as did for me.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...913&m_id=88
lol, you sent a link written by Lou Kreiger, the guy he is complaining about. I also found this link very helpful.
Haha, I also found that amusing. Though the article is good, I'm not a huge fan of the way he laid the graph out. I think people talking about chance of making over 2 cards leads new players into bad calls/bad thinking. In GENERAL you should always be figuring pot odds purely based on 1 card to come, but whether to BET/RAISE based on 2 cards to come on the flop.A flush draw it won't matter very much because in almost all circumstances (in limit) you'll be calling to the river anyway, unless the action makes you believe there is a set present and the turn pairs the board. But for things like a gutshot, knowing it's roughly 10.75 or 10.5 to 1, you obviously are never going to want to know what that is over 2 cards, it's pointless. So if you know that odd, and you are getting (say) 8 or 9:1 on your call, based on implied odds and the board, you can likely take a card off.The reason you care about the odds for 2 cards for betting/raising on the flop is because if you have more pot equity (than your share), you should be betting/raising for value on your draw.Example:You have As5s, flop is Ks Qh 6s. You have nut flush draw so have roughly 35 percent pot equity, regardless of the amount of people in the hand. So say it is 5 handed to the flop. You check, someone bets, and then all 3 other people call the bet, you should raise here for value because you are 35 percent to win the pot and your "fair share" is 20 percent of the pot. The only time you shouldn't do something to this effect is if you think the original better will 3bet and cause people to fold to 2 more cold.This obviously can apply also on the turn, but you have to be a little more careful. First off, if you missed on the turn, so your pot equity is now only about 20 percent. So you need at least 4 others in the hand to be breaking even (for a bet for value), and 5 to be making a profit. And also people aren't typically as keen about calling turn bets or raises are they are on flop bets. But it still can apply if you're on a crazyloose table. Like if 7 people are still live on the turn. But that's a lot more rare to say the least. :)But for the original poster: memorize a chart like the one Kreiger gives (one is also given that's solid in small stakes hold'em by miller). But you should also learn to do it the hard way so you can figure stuff out on your own if you want to.The whole 9 cards out of the 47 left in the deck approach. It's hard to understand for many at first, but you should eventually be able to do that stuff yourself too. But memorizing a chart to start is KEY.

Krieger's article was fantastic. I've already taken down two 8-12BB pots using his calling strategy that I otherwise probably would have laid down.Here is the real meat of his articleAfter the flop:If your outs are between 1-8, multiply that number by 4. This is the percentage that you'll make your hand by the end. In other words, you have 8 outs, you have a 32% chance of winning. (A calling situation when the pot is laying you 3.5-to-1 or better on your call.If your outs are between 9-12, multiply that number by 4 and subtract by 1. 10 outs means you'll win 39% of the time. A calling situation if the pot is laying you 2.5-to-1 odds or better. In other words if the pot is $3, you can safely call a $1 bet.If your outs are between 13-16, multiply that number by 4 and subtract by 4. 12 outs means you'll win about 44% of the time. You can almost make an even-money call in this pot.After the turn:Multiply your outs by 2, and add 2. In other words, you have a four-flush. You have 9 outs. You'll make your hand 20% of the time. If the pot is $5 or better, you can make a $1 call.