bankroll management

A little discussion of bankroll management:I know that you should start with 300 BB. I play 20-40 and my bankroll started at $12,000. What I usually do is put 10% of my winning into my bankroll. I have been pretty succesful and my roll has been up as high as $13,400. However, I have been running really bad lately and the roll is at $9450. What should I do? Should I put money into the roll from my winning to make it $12,000 again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physically putting money back into your "roll" now is really pointless. If you have the money available and you're willing to play with it, it's the same as actually being in your supposed role. The main issue is whether or not you're comfortable playing with it; for example, if that money is used to support yourself. If you're playing poker as a source of income, then you should have more than 300BB's unless you're willing to drop in the limits when your bankroll drops below a preset point.If you dont consider what you've taken out from your winnings to be part of your disposable income, this would be a good time to step down to the 10/20 until you build it back up.

Thanks for the comment... what should my roll be for 20-40. Most people I speak with say that it should be 300 BB. How much higher should it be? I'm playing poker full-time right now while I wait to start grad school, but it is my only source of income for the time being; I got tired of working 50+ hours a week for $42,000 a year

If you're playing full time, you should already know what pros should have.Playing full time, you should have, at bare minimum, 500BB's for your given limit. From what I hear, most like to have (and it's a good idea) up to 1000BB's. This is because you're going to have an inevitable bad run that lasts for a long time.I highly suggest you do more reading on playing professionally and bankroll management.

If you're playing full time, you should already know what pros should have.Playing full time, you should have, at bare minimum, 500BB's for your given limit.  From what I hear, most like to have (and it's a good idea) up to 1000BB's.  This is because you're going to have an inevitable bad run that lasts for a long time.I highly suggest you do more reading on playing professionally and bankroll management.
Thomas Keller wrote an article for Cardplayer about that, he likes to have 1000 BB's. But if you're only going to put 10% of the winnings into your BR it's going to be very tough to grow your roll, every time you have a losing session 100% of that loss goes from your BR, but only 10% when you win.
But if you're only going to put 10% of the winnings into your BR it's going to be very tough to grow your roll, every time you have a losing session 100% of that loss goes from your BR, but only 10% when you win.
This is really important. If you want to keep 90% of your net winnings, that works, but if you take all the losses out of your BR you will eventually go broke.

Thanks for all the help. Poker is just temporary while I wait for school to start. However, based on the advice... I should be playing 5-10!! Actually not even that. How much should I be putting from my winning into the bankroll. Most of the players at Commerce don't even have a bankroll... they just carry a fat wad of 100's. Even if I build my stack to 1000 BB's, how much do you guys recommend I put into my bankroll from my wins.

You cant be withdrawing 90% of all your wins (or whatever number). If you do that, you will eventually lose your bankroll.If you want, you can withdraw every time your bankroll exceeds a preset number. For example, if you want to have 500 big bets, you can withdraw everything above and beyond that, but whenever it sinks below that point, use your winnings to contribute to building it back up.

Yep, pretty much all accessible money is BR. Congrats on your day, keep rolling.
I'm pretty sure this is terrible advice.Read up on bankroll management and playing professionally. Your bankroll should be completely separate from living expenses and savings. You know how all poker pros (supposedly) have gone broke at least once? Well here's a trick - when they went broke, they weren't down to nothing, they just had no bankroll. They still had money to live and eat (in most cases) but they had to borrow to play poker.Read that again - they had money, and yet they borrowed to play poker. Their living expenses and savings were completely separate from their playing bankroll.This should be true for everyone, unless you play very small stakes compared to your net worth, and losses/wins from poker does not have any significant effects on your net worth. It is true both for casual and professional players.Good luck,Daniel
Yep, pretty much all accessible money is BR. Congrats on your day, keep rolling.
I'm pretty sure this is terrible advice.Read up on bankroll management and playing professionally. Your bankroll should be completely separate from living expenses and savings. You know how all poker pros (supposedly) have gone broke at least once? Well here's a trick - when they went broke, they weren't down to nothing, they just had no bankroll. They still had money to live and eat (in most cases) but they had to borrow to play poker.Read that again - they had money, and yet they borrowed to play poker. Their living expenses and savings were completely separate from their playing bankroll.This should be true for everyone, unless you play very small stakes compared to your net worth, and losses/wins from poker does not have any significant effects on your net worth. It is true both for casual and professional players.Good luck,Daniel
The thing is strict BR management for pros is different than what BR management is for the casual player. If you want to seperate living expenses and BR do it. You can keep them in the same place and just have more higher BR requirements. You'd need higher BR requirements if you kept them seperate as well.In fact, it probably is better to have seperate accounts. It will keep things in order much better.

I tried to keep my roll and profit seperate, but it just doesn't work. I had a sick run of about 2 months where I was up almost $30,000. I put 10% into the roll and lived it up with the rest. However, I had four straight losing sessions and the roll was down to under $10,000. I think I'm just going to make my bankroll 1000 BB's and put 35% of my winnings into the roll. Does this sound more sensible considering the maniacs at the 20-0 games at Commerce? At this rate, I will never be able to move to the 40-80 game. That game is like printing money if you can take all the suck outs in stride.