2014 Trade Deadline

The whole story of Marty St Louis asking for a trade because he was snubbed by Yzerman and Team Canada seems a bit far fetched..

But it was reported by reputable sources..

Still a bit weird

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its times like this that I wish my GM wasn't a dumbass. Every time my phone buzzes with a Notification from Score Mobile, I panic.

trade is pure trash for the blues. not pleased. truthfully I didn't even know about it, I just randomly checked into the hockey forum.

Maybe he should have been at the Olympics then, since the MVP was like 42? Stop discriminating against us!  

That one smelled like one of those 'somewhere in the middle' situations. I doubt that a vet like St Louis really marched up to Yzerman and demanded a trade over a snub. Though he may have said something like "if you don't think I'm as good as those guys, why not trade me?", which may have been overheard by whoever leaks that garbage and told to "journalists."

Frankly, those situations are an embarassment to those who report them. Not because they're rumours, that's fine. But to use anonymous sources, not report any context and be so vague about it is nothing but clickbait and it's meaningless.

As for the deadline, I'm out of it in the FCHL (surprised face goes here), so I don't care a lot. But I will honestly find a new team to root for if the Leafs sign Bolland to a long-term deal at $5M+/year.

Rumour is Bolland will be seeking a 7 year deal in the $5 million range...Someone might give it to him, but its a lot of money

better not be the Leafs.

We have had this conversation before with Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and others (not with you, but in general)

The market bears the price of the player..If you want the player, you need to pay him...If Bolland gets to UFA in July, he may just get that number...Nonis needs to decide what the alternatives are...We have done really well without Bolland the last part of the season...But does Bolland take us to the next level and makes us a serious contender?

Bolland is still youngish, and I be willing to sign him 7 or 8 years but at a reduced number..Or 2 or 3 years at the $5 million...Its a tough decision..

In either case even if he isnt signing him long term, I doubt he trades him here, as he is a huge asset in the playoffs..Same thing with Reimer.

Just because the market sets the price of the player doesn't mean you have to overspend on someone who you don't think is worth it.

I agree with you. $5M short term seems ok, but if you're going to give him the security of 7 or 8 years, he needs to take a pay cut.

Sometimes the best move is to walk away. Sorry, you don't sign 3rd line players coming off a major injury to 7 year deals. It's ludicrous. You can take "coming off of major injury" out of that sentence and it still holds true, the injury situation just makes it worse.

Sometimes the best move is to walk away. Sorry, you don't sign 3rd line players coming off a major injury to 7 year deals. It's ludicrous. You can take "coming off of major injury" out of that sentence and it still holds true, the injury situation just makes it worse.

I dont disagree...

So this quote from St Louis is certainly not denying a trade demand:

Retweeted by

QlXxZ95F_bigger.jpeg

St Louis addresses trade rumors with brief answer "I've had conversations with Steve about my future with the team and I'll leave it at that

Im going to add again, that I think its very "childish" to demand a trade just because of not being picked to one of the most stacked teams ever assembled in International competition.

If its true, its really not fair to "bolt" from Tampa because he didnt initially get picked.

However Yzerman might be inclined to trade him at this stage as his value is high, he still has one year left on his contract at a decent fair cap hit..

St Louis is getting older and will obviously decline and it might be the perfect time to trade him for some young assets...The only issue is Tampa unexpectedly is solidly entrenched in a playoff spot...(unexpectedly mostly due to Stamkos missing several months)

Especially when you already have millions tied up long-term to non-star players. In a capped world, you only have so many bullets. Problem with firing one on Clarkson is you end up with fewer. So you fire one on Phaneuf and Kessel (both of which are looking pretty good, actually), but now you maybe only have room left for one or two big deals. If you sign Bolland and Clarkson to 7+ year deals for $5M+ per year, you either need to know something about the future cap levels that the rest of the world doesn't, or you need a new job.

So this quote from St Louis is certainly not denying a trade demand:

45]

Retweeted by

45]

QlXxZ95F_bigger.jpeg

St Louis addresses trade rumors with brief answer "I've had conversations with Steve about my future with the team and I'll leave it at that

This was actually a stronger statement than I expected.

fwiw, I like all the Leafs long term deals except for Clarkson, but I agree they can't afford another Clarkson situation.

I didn't love the Kessel or Phaneuf extensions, as I didn't think they were capable of playing to a high enough level for a sustained period. They've done exactly that in the last season or two. I hope I'm even close to as wrong about Clarkson and a possible Bolland deal, but the fact is that neither of them have even shown that ability, so it's a whole extra level of faith required.

Here's the trade:

Ryan Miller and Steve Ott have been traded to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a third-round draft pick in 2016.

Sabres will pay difference between Halak and Miller salaries, which is 1.75 mil.