• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Healthy scratch two games in a row.   Barkov leading his team in scoring.  

He had both guys in his sights. He would've got Nichushkin if I had taken Barkov.

Shooters would have still had a shot at him but hard to say who he would have taken.

I took Kucherov with the 40th pick in the draft.

Players The Whalers selected instead of Kucherov

10 WHALERS Ryan Murphy CAR D

14 WHALERS Mark McNeill CHI F

31 WHALERS Alexander Khokhlachev BOS F

34 WHALERS Marcin Marincin EDM D

I don't think I had a pick until the 3rd round the year you took Kucherov.

http://www.alternativehockeyleague.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8407

Your 1st pick was 52nd.

I had one of my best drafts ever.

26 Brandon Saad CHI F

40 Nikita Kucherov TAM F

41 Tom Kuhnhacdkl PIT F

46 Cody Eakin WSH F

60 Roman Josi NSH D

64 Ryan Sproul DET D

66 Justin Schultz ANA D

80 Connor Murphy PHX D

Kuhn went shockingly early there. I think he's a bust. He's an FCHL draft pick of mine (I think the year before he was taken in the AHL). He had that really good OHL season, then fell off the rails with a huge suspension and a bunch of injuries. He always looks good in Pens camp, but does nothing at all in the minors.

Kuhn went shockingly early there. I think he's a bust. He's an FCHL draft pick of mine (I think the year before he was taken in the AHL). He had that really good OHL season, then fell off the rails with a huge suspension and a bunch of injuries. He always looks good in Pens camp, but does nothing at all in the minors.

This was right after his big OHL season when he looked like he might be a stud. Now a total dud.

Ryan said he wouldn't have taken Nichushkin if I had taken Barkov.

Shooters would have still had a shot at him but hard to say who he would have taken.

I took Kucherov with the 40th pick in the draft.

Players The Whalers selected instead of Kucherov

10 WHALERS Ryan Murphy CAR D

14 WHALERS Mark McNeill CHI F

31 WHALERS Alexander Khokhlachev BOS F

34 WHALERS Marcin Marincin EDM D

Sorry, whats this mean, that I didnt want Kucherov, or that your implying I made 5 bad picks before Kucherov? lol

Sometimes I wait on guys who I think will go later. I dont take guys in the first round if no publication anywhere has the guy in their top 40. Maybe thats a mistake, I dont know.

Early on I started to notice that AHL owners were really scared off of Russians, and the "KHL effect" was influencing picks. So, I figured let me take the chance where I could and wait on Russians.

I figured Kucherov would have been there in the 3rd/4th round. He wasnt that highly touted at the time, and he wasnt even the best Tampa prospect of that draft, in my opinion at the time. I admit I even wanted Namestinkov more than him, I think I took Namestinkov ahead of Kuch in FCHL. And Kucherov went late in FCHL, so I figured some here. But I was not that high on Kucherov. In that draft, my real targets that I missed were CSmith, Saad, V.Rask, Namestinkov and Schultz. So not like Kucherov was a huge miss at the time, but I was looking to take him soon....like Im sure a lot of poolies wanted to. Just sucks now seeing him on your roster, and waiting for the inevitable trade to come featuring the next Great one. So Kucherov wasnt a huge loss to me at the time.

Nichuskin on the other hand.....as Dale said, I asked Ryan, and he said he would NOT have taken Nichuskin. I wanted Nichuskin badly. That one stung, I was waiting months on that pick, hoping all along I would get him. I took him 4th in FCHL, and was trying hard to move up to 4th and even 3rd in AHL.

That said, me liking either player means nothing. Who cares, a million poolies liked them. If they become stars, so what. I find sometimes we take our ability to take prospects a little too seriously. Its a lot more luck and research than hockey knowledge, unless you guys are out scouting minor league games somewhere, cause I certainly am not. I just go off what I read and the limited WJuniors+junior games that I watch. Mostly, its just from what I read out there. I don't even look at minor league stats, which I guess some of you do. If the guy pans out, great, I got lucky....if he doesn't, well, no surprise, its not like I know what I'm talking about.lol

Also, lets not quite crown Kucherov and Nichuskin the next Ovechkin+Malkin just yet.

http://www.alternati...opic.php?t=8407

Your 1st pick was 52nd.

I had one of my best drafts ever.

26 Brandon Saad CHI F

40 Nikita Kucherov TAM F

41 Tom Kuhnhacdkl PIT F

46 Cody Eakin WSH F

60 Roman Josi NSH D

64 Ryan Sproul DET D

66 Justin Schultz ANA D

80 Connor Murphy PHX D

How many of those were Steelheads picks? 4?

Sorry, whats this mean, that I didnt want Kucherov, or that your implying I made 5 bad picks before Kucherov? lol

Just having a little fun at your expense. I would have taken all the guys you did before Kucherov except for Marincin and I also liked him.

Drafting is all a crap shoot. We just read up on guys and hopefully get lucky with enough of them.

With Kucherov I read a couple things that made me think he had a pretty high upside and could be a boom or bust guy and so far he's looking good. One thing that I really like is that I just read a comment the other day that scouts and coaches describe his hockey sense as being off the charts which can only be a good thing.

How many of those were Steelheads picks? 4?

The 26, 46 and 66 picks were Steelheads picks.

If you remember that draft Chris had to go Coach his son's hockey team during the draft so he couldn't be there for all of it. He gave me a list of players for his 1st round pick where he took Adam Larsson at 6.

We agreed that I would trade him Shortstackers 3rd in 2012 and Swackers 4th in 2012 for picks 46 and 66 and I would draft the highest drafted forward available at 26 for him unless a player I really wanted was there and that player wouldn't have been the guy he would have drafted with his system which I knew he wouldn't be. If my guy was there the trade would be Underdogs 1st round pick in 2012 which ended up 9th and Shortstackers 3rd for picks 26, 46 and 66. The guy I wanted was Saad and and that's how I ended up getting him. It was a good trade for both of us.

Small sample size but Barkov is still the much better player...As will be proven over the next few years...

Even now same amount of goals and the fact Barkov plays on the worst team, is why he doesnt have a few more points..

Barkov FTW and it aint even close IMO..

Ya ok Serge.

Ill make sure to revisit this thread when Barkov starts surpassing this guys numbers( i hate typing his name...Too many letters)

What does Barkov do better than Nichushkin? Other than conserve letters, that is.

Not sure for the purpose of this discussion and our purposes, I care too much about the style of play...We are solely looking at offensive numbers..

Solely for the purpose of fantasy, Barkov will get much more points than (need a nickname for this guy)