Live Vs Online Tournament Play

Do any of you notice a difference in your game? If so how do you effectively limit the changes? I seem to find myself playing alot tighter in live action then I do online, and the results show this. This could simply be because of the number of hands you'll see online as opposed to in a live tournament, or it could be the human-factor. Short of thinking about overweight men in their 50s in their underwear..any tricks to counteract this leak in my game? Maybe just buy a kickass pair of sunglasses and be done with it? Focus on the tip of my nose?

I just focus on playing my game... I play a ton of online tournaments so when I play live I just play my cards the same way but focus on players more, which leads me to making slightly more marginal moves due to deeper reads then what I gather online.. but as far as tight vs loose.. just focus on playing your A game whichever it is... but I guess you need to figure out which game you play better..

Do any of you notice a difference in your game? If so how do you effectively limit the changes? I seem to find myself playing alot tighter in live action then I do online, and the results show this. This could simply be because of the number of hands you'll see online as opposed to in a live tournament, or it could be the human-factor. Short of thinking about overweight men in their 50s in their underwear..any tricks to counteract this leak in my game? Maybe just buy a kickass pair of sunglasses and be done with it? Focus on the tip of my nose?
Solution: Play looser than you currently do in Live Tournys...I'm surprised none of you came up with this one yet....I don't have 1000 posts yet and even I got this one right away..... :club:

I know I notice the same difference in my play between the two.I think the difference is mainly in my head. When I actually have to get up from the table when you are knocked out it makes a difference to me. Plus I can't just sign up for another tourney when I'm out.

I think you should definitely see a difference in play.For one, they're totally different from one another.StructuresStarting ChipsCaliber of playeretc.Don't try to play a live tournament like an online tournament and vice versa.Of course, this is all based on assumptions, since I've never actually played a live tournament. Pretty sure I'm right though.

I don't get to play live a lot, but recently spent 10 days in Vegas and played the Venetian Deep Stack 3x and two WSOP events. First DS I played pretty conservative. Then I decided I needed to play a lot more aggressive so I adjusted my play to be a little more like my internet play. Being a female, people still think I play pretty tight even when I am being aggressive (online no one knows and nearly everyone thinks I am a guy - which I don't bother to correct). A more aggressive style is definitely better for live. Remember in live tourneys (like on-line) the money is at the final table but the time periods on line are compressed, and you can be playing two or three tourneys and some cash games on line where live you are doing only one thing. Sure it is nice to cash and get your money back, but unless you get into the big money it could be a long day for little or no return. With live tourneys - unless they are turbo - the blinds go up every 30-40 mins - which is forever in online terms. I would rather go out in the first two levels or go out trying to build a big stack than limp along into the money - playing 10 hours to earn $100 profit. If I bust out I can usually go to the cash game and make my buy in back plus a little profit in an hour or two. But I love the live tournaments and the thought of winning big is going to keep me coming back.I do play on line and find myself making bigger bluffs on line than I would ever do irl for lots of reasons. They cant see me freaking out after I put my chips in - they can hear me yelling 'fold sucka' and they can't see me doing my happy dance with sighs of releif after they do fold thus getting a good read for the next time I try it :club: . Also there's no shame on the internet - I rarely read the chatbox so if I end up having to show down a big bluff or a horrible call I don't have to look at the person across from me for the next few hours - with the knowledge that he knows I made a super donk move. Lastly - I am more of a 'feel player' and am much better live that online because there are so many subtleties to playing with real people from, seeing their physical condition (are they tired, hung over, is their gf nagging them about going shopping, are their buddies all doing better than them, what they are listening to on their ipod to if their friend has just shared a busto bad beat story - or vice versa. Lots of information that can better help gauge their abilities. Once on break, I overheard a guy from my table telling his buddy about his strategy and some of his plays. I was able to use that to my advantage for a bit until the table broke. I think the tendency is to play more aggressive on line than irl, but it should be closer to the same level of aggression in both arenas.