harry demetriou goes off on a dealer!!!!!

.While calculating the odds on a hand, Harry Demetriou removed the chip covering his cards and continued pondering whether or not to call. The dealer took this to mean that Demetriou intended to muck his hand, and put her hand on his cards to take them away. Demetriou instantly flew off the handle and began to berate the dealer for her assumption. The dealer quickly apologized and the hand was unaffected. A few more minutes of careful deliberation passed and Demetriou mucked the hand anyway. This didn't stop him from continuing to voice his displeasure for her actionswow, a lot of people respect him in this forum, but yes he can't let go of a simple mistake that a dealer made. She didn't muck the hand, she was about to when Detemtriou just went off!! It was a mistake, why can't he understand that??? and he keeped saying stuff after a few hands to the dealer. what is everyone opinion about this??teneight

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's excusable. it's a high stress tourney already, and i'm assuming this is deep in a tourney, and it was apparently a tough decision. i can't blame him and i probably would do the same in his situation

.While calculating the odds on a hand, Harry Demetriou removed the chip covering his cards and continued pondering whether or not to call. The dealer took this to mean that Demetriou intended to muck his hand, and put her hand on his cards to take them away. Demetriou instantly flew off the handle and began to berate the dealer for her assumption. The dealer quickly apologized and the hand was unaffected. A few more minutes of careful deliberation passed and Demetriou mucked the hand anyway. This didn't stop him from continuing to voice his displeasure for her actionswow, a lot of people respect him in this forum, but yes he can't let go of a simple mistake that a dealer made. She didn't muck the hand, she was about to when Detemtriou  just went off!! It was a mistake, why can't he understand that???  and he keeped saying stuff after a few hands to the dealer.    what is everyone opinion about this??teneight
Dealer mistakes happen, deal with it and protect your hand. Going off on a dealer should be penalized, unless this dealer had intentionally set out to cheat Harry which is obviously not the case.Had the dealer mucked the hand nothing can be done.
but yes he can't let go of a simple mistake that a dealer made.  what is everyone opinion about this??teneight
Some mistakes are different than others... Some mistakes cost tens of thousands of dollars. I don't think any less of a guy for getting a little pissed when someone else's ****up could cost him more money than you or I make in a year.

i excuse it simply because this just hasn't happened to my knowledge with harry. i'm sure there was a good reason. he had just suffered a big loss earlier, and was probably frustrated.he's usually very gentlemanly at the table, so i excuse this in such a high pressure situation.i'm sure he'll cool off on the dinner break.

im sure he just got caught up in the momment , im also sure he regrets it..he's such a classy guy and people do respect him here, rightfully so...its easy to see how josh arieh got labeled the azzhole of poker last year...things happen when emotions take over...these guys are playing for millions and even they get caught up now and then...

I remember this one time I got mad, and even yelled at someone. I think I even remember it taking me five or so minutes to cool off! Go figure, people get pissed off every so often.I think the OP is looking to start some controversy. I hope Harry doesn't take the bait.

I understand that we are humans and everyone goes off at times. He was probably under a lot of stress or pressure since they do play for like 10hrs a day, every day. I don't hate the man just because of this, i have total respect for harry. I know he is a gentleman on/off the table, but everyone does have the right to snap atleast once. I would hate to be a dealer, and have a pro. player go off on me. Like todd brunson in the Pokerstars invetational.teneight

I remember this one time I got mad, and even yelled at someone. I think I even remember it taking me five or so minutes to cool off! Go figure, people get censored off every so often.I think the OP is looking to start some controversy. I hope Harry doesn't take the bait.
not at all. I have much respect for harry. I just wanted to see everyones point of view, which is a lot like mine. I didn't mean to come off like i wanted to start something.

If hes sitting just beside the dealer, I can see how this would happen. However, the dealer really should not be reaching for the cards until the player actually pushes the cards towards the dealer. The dealer should not be reaching for the cards just beause he took his chip off them. He has a right to a little ticked considering whats on the line.

Ridiculous... the dealer is (haha yoda, ... anyway). Especially in a high stakes tournament, you have GOT to know to let the player throw his cards in. Good lord, if I were a dealer and did that, I would fully expect to have my hand chopped off, and I would not complain one bit.

I'd be pissed off as well.Dealers are paid to deal cards and to be able to realize when a hand is mucked and when one isn't.I don't blame his for getting pissed. If a dealer reached across the table and tried to take the cards out from infront of me when I made no motion to muck them I would go off as well. This brings me to an episode of the poker superstars challenge when Todd Brunson goes off on the dealer when she attempts to deal out the turn card when he was just sitting there thinking of what to do. There is a lot of money on the line in these events and I would hate for the dealer to muck my cards when it could have meant the difference of a few hundred thousand in the long run.

Although I would never advocate dealer abuse...in this situation I think that Harry was justified. Yes, dealers make mistakes, but when your playing at the World Series of Poker....you have the right to expect complete professionalism from your dealers. When he removed his chip, but did not push away his cards or toss them or whatever, that does not constitute a fold. The dealer had no justification to touch his cards and she should know that. If it were me in that situation, I'd be pisssed off too......too much money on the line for amateurish dealer mistakes

This brings me to an episode of the poker superstars challenge when Todd Brunson goes off on the dealer when she attempts to deal out the turn card when he was just sitting there thinking of what to do. There is a lot of money on the line in these events and I would hate for the dealer to muck my cards when it could have meant the difference of a few hundred thousand in the long run.
u took the words right out of my mouth..I just saw the replay of that and for the first time saw the end of it...When ur heads up liek that giving anybody a free card could have been huge...From what i saw Todd didnt do anyting to signal he checked it and its coming down to they need to get better dealers or the dealers need to start paying more attention

Sometimes I wonder if the advice, "Be sure to protect your cards," has hurt dealing in any way. It could give the dealers the excuse to make quick moves like this, knowing they may be able to hide behind the line, "You should have been protecting your cards."Then again, I like to read way too much in to little things. In further detail, however, I don't mean they consciously (or at least not maliciously) look for opportunities to pull cards from a player, but in a pressure situation when someone looks like they might fold, it may cause a dealer to think less before trying to hurry the game along.I don't know. Again with the theorizing.

I don't think I have ever had a dealer reach out to my cards without me pushing them towards them. I have even folded without pushing the cards to the dealer and the dealer ask me to push them to them several times.IMO if a dealer is unsure, they should ask plain and simple. Now for him to be upset and say something I totally agree, but after a few hands it's time to let it go, so it doesn't mess with your game.

Plus, when a dealer does something like this, you lose your complete train of thought arguing with the dealer to get your hand back, then have to deliberate again.They may be trying to speed up the play, but that just slows it down even worse.Who knows, he may have called if he had uninterrupted time to deliberate. And he may have even had the best of it, since this is a unexposed hand, and none of us know either of their holdings. Maybe Harry might go into detail later and let us know all the circumstances in the hand later on.Either way, it was a stupid move by the dealer, and i feel Harry had the right.But let this be a lesson, carry a brick around (or a fossil, a la Raymer) to cover your cards. Don't let the dealer get anywhere near them until you remove that brick from the top of the cards.

On the bright side, Harry's in great shape to make the final table.

Event #9: $2,000 No-Limit Hold 'Em (Day 2 of 3)Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:03:55 -050016 players remaining9:15 PMChip CountCyndy Violette 610,000Chris De Maci 280,000Morgan Machina 270,000Soulier Fabrice 200,000Harry Demetriou 190,000Average 175,375Ken James 155,000Paul Sexton 150,000Mark Ketteringham 130,000Chris Wunderlich 130,000Perry Friedman 120,000Dani Awad 110,000Kevin Fox 90,000Ayaz Mahmood 90,000Bill Blanda 85,000Erik Seidel 70,000Francois Safieddine 60,000
Either way, it was a stupid move by the dealer, and i feel Harry had the right.But let this be a lesson, carry a brick around (or a fossil, a la Raymer) to cover your cards.  Don't let the dealer get anywhere near them until you remove that brick from the top of the cards.
Yes stupid move by dealer, no Harry had no right to berate the dealer (assuming he was seriously going off as the OP implies) dealer mistakes are part of the game just as bad beats are and just as having KK with AA and having AA vs AA and getting outflushed.
Either way, it was a stupid move by the dealer, and i feel Harry had the right.But let this be a lesson, carry a brick around (or a fossil, a la Raymer) to cover your cards.  Don't let the dealer get anywhere near them until you remove that brick from the top of the cards.
Yes stupid move by dealer, no Harry had no right to berate the dealer (assuming he was seriously going off as the OP implies) dealer mistakes are part of the game just as bad beats are and just as having KK with AA and having AA vs AA and getting outflushed.
Dealer mistakes should not be happening on the second day of a WSOP event.
Shouldn't be part of the game at the WSOP. Should have the best dealers available working....no newbies....this went beyond dealer mistake - no dealer should be reaching to take the cards from a player.

LOL-There is no love lost between Harry Demetriou and Ayaz Mahmood. While Demetriou was thinking about whether or not to call Perry Friedman's preflop raise, Mahmood called the clock on him. Demetriou looks down to Mahmood, and says, "I didn't call it on you, but you're more than welcome to, sir." Ayaz muttered something back, and Demetriou responded with some venom, "You're a wanker. You know what that means?" We know what it means, and it does not mean, guy who's good at no limit hold'em

The Dealers need to be given some slack here. Those dealers are dealing thousands and thousands of hands every day. They're not robots. Most of them make very few mistakes and they should not be berated. they've got a tough job and probably don't get paid enough. Also, Harry was probably in the 1 or 10 seat position which can be tricky when protecting your cards. maybe he should have done a better job protecting his cards. Now if he was in any other seat position, the dealer was probably out of line.

LOL-There is no love lost between Harry Demetriou and Ayaz Mahmood. While Demetriou was thinking about whether or not to call Perry Friedman's preflop raise, Mahmood called the clock on him. Demetriou looks down to Mahmood, and says, "I didn't call it on you, but you're more than welcome to, sir." Ayaz muttered something back, and Demetriou responded with some venom, "You're a wanker. You know what that means?" We know what it means, and it does not mean, guy who's good at no limit hold'em
first he yells at a dealer and now he call another player a wanker. whats the over under on minutes until harry and someone have to settle something in the parking lot?
Shouldn't be part of the game at the WSOP.  Should have the best dealers available working....no newbies....this went beyond dealer mistake - no dealer should be reaching to take the cards from a player.
While I totally agree that one the second day of an event these mistakes should not happen... do you all have any idea how many dealers are actually required for the WSOP events?? I have no clue myself, but there are obviously about a few hundred of the "best dealers," for any given event. Considering that multiple events are going on simultaneously (second day of some events + first day of another), and other cash games and satellites are also going on all over Vegas at the same time, you have to figure that a few of the WSOP dealers aren't going to be perfect.Everybody makes mistakes. I don't blame Harry, cauz he's a good guy, but at the same time, I think there's a limit to how upset you can get over this. I mean, there was no harm here.