Let's bring Daniel back down to earth [positive]

Daniel if you read this please take it as intended... as a picker-upper.You mentioned that you just can't "get into" the smaller tourneys.Please take a moment to look back at before you were a pro or even when you first started out... when a $1000 buyin (or even $5000) was HUGE money to you.Yeah, I know you've won/lost millions in a day or a week. But forget about that for now.Being successful means winning the small battles, consistantly! You can't be successful by winning only one "big one" a year!In all honesty I get a little upset seeing you (from our perspective) "pi$$ing away" your buyins by not giving it your all.I know on my situation, I'd almost kill to play in 3 or 4 $1000-3000 buyin tourneys.. and what I'm seeing from you is not really caring, like $1000-3000 isn't a big deal. I'm hear to tell you IT IS. $3000 is a decent MONTHLY salary for many people, and $1000/mo is what many people try to eek out an existance with!You are writing this blog with people reading it that get VERY excited to play in their local $50 buy-in Moose tourneys, or plan for a month for a $35 buyin home game! It's uncomprehendable to us that you can not really care much about a $1000 tourney... to us, that's 20 weeks of Moose tourney buy-ins!I'm not bashing you, I really am not... I'm just trying to put things back in perspective for you. From reading your journal, what I see is that you've kinda lost touch with the common poker player.And I say this half-in-jest and half seriously... if you really want to pi$$ away $1000, then I'm going to be in Vegas in early January.. and would LOVE to play in the Plaza tourney which I think is $1000. Why not stake me, I'll give you 75% of my winnings. I'm only half-joking!

I joined this forum specifically so I could reply to this thread. Ive been a really big fan of daniels poker game for a long time, I love his style and his amazing ability to read whoever he is playing. And I will now direct my message toward him.Daniel,I understand what the above poster is talking about when he says that $1000 is a lot to most average poker players. A quote by Barry Greenstein comes to mind. "When you play in the biggest cash games in the world like i do, where hundreds of thousands of dollars are being exchanged across the table, money becomes meaningless." And I can understand how that can be true. But aside from the monetary value of these smaller tournaments that you can't seem to be excited for, there is so much more.You are leading the PLAYER OF THE YEAR board, and you're leading it for a reason. Because you are the most consistent/solid poker player out there. You have the chance to be the poker player of the year, the best poker player out there. And I personally think you owe it to all of us (your fans) and yourself and your family. I recall that when you first decided you wanted to be a poker player, your family was a bit shocked by the idea. And I know you've already proven yourself to them tenfold, but why not give them another reason to hold their heads up? You have the ability and the opportunity to become the player of the year, GO FOR IT. Whether its a 5 dollar tournament or a 500,000 buyin tournament, you are atop that board for a reason, so go out there and prove it to yourself and everyone else. We are all on this site because we believe in you, and we believe you can do it. You ARE the player of the year. I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it.

I joined this forum specifically so I could reply to this thread. Ive been a really big fan of daniels poker game for a long time, I love his style and his amazing ability to read whoever he is playing. And I will now direct my message toward him.Daniel,I understand what the above poster is talking about when he says that $1000 is a lot to most average poker players. A quote by Barry Greenstein comes to mind. "When you play in the biggest cash games in the world like i do, where hundreds of thousands of dollars are being exchanged across the table, money becomes meaningless." And I can understand how that can be true. But aside from the monetary value of these smaller tournaments that you can't seem to be excited for, there is so much more.You are leading the PLAYER OF THE YEAR board, and you're leading it for a reason. Because you are the most consistent/solid poker player out there. You have the chance to be the poker player of the year, the best poker player out there. And I personally think you owe it to all of us (your fans) and yourself and your family.  I recall that when you first decided you wanted to be a poker player, your family was a bit shocked by the idea. And I know you've already proven yourself to them tenfold, but why not give them another reason to hold their heads up? You have the ability and the opportunity to become the player of the year, GO FOR IT. Whether its a 5 dollar tournament or a 500,000 buyin tournament, you are atop that board for a reason, so go out there and prove it to yourself and everyone else.  We are all on this site because we believe in you, and we believe you can do it. You ARE the player of the year. I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it.
I second this one D; I'm behind you and wish you the best as I always have, even from back in the day - our first convo's.Edit: My little girl says " Get 'em Tiger " 8) :bubblecool:

Let me start by saying that I never intended my journal entry to offend anybody- I'm just being honest. I realize wholeheartedly how it sounds to the public when I say something like, "A $3000 event bores me". It comes off a little arrogant and egotistical maybe. It's not meant to be. In my journal I try to share with everyone exactly how I'm feeling. I don't think it's a "good thing" that I'm bored of the tournaments, but it is the reality. I just want you to know that I fully understand that it may come across as "out of touch" with the average poker player, but I don't really feel that's true. Why? Because I know it's irrational, I know that it's not the norm. It just happens to be my reality at this point.

I don't see why people were so upset about what Daniel said. He is a world class poker player, and why anyone is surprised puzzles me frankly. To most of us, finding a 100$ dollar bill on the street is great news. To Bill Gates or Donald Trump is a way to light a cigar. The mood changes when you start playing higher stakes. How many of you actually get exciting playing for nickles against your cousin and brother at christmas? Excatly.

Let me start by saying that I never intended my journal entry to offend anybody- I'm just being honest.  I realize wholeheartedly how it sounds to the public when I say something like, "A $3000 event bores me".  It comes off a little arrogant and egotistical maybe.  It's not meant to be.  In my journal I try to share with everyone exactly how I'm feeling.  I don't think it's a "good thing" that I' bored of the tournaments, but it is the reality.    I just want you to know that I fully understand that it may come across as "out of touch" with the average poker player, but I don't really feel that's true.  Why?  Because I know it's irrational, I know that it's not the norm.  It just happens to be my reality at this point.
Your so down to earth and honest it's sickening (just kidding). That's why your the only player my wife will sit down and watch on TV. If poker is on she'll ask is Daniel playing if I say yes she sits down and watches, if I say no she goes about doing what ever she was doing.

Daniel,Don't get me wrong, (if I did) I didn't mean to mention anything about the 3000 not being a big deal to you, I don't particularly mind about that. What I was trying to get accross was the point that we are all your true fans, and we're doing all we can to pull for you from our ends. Id just really like to see you win the player of the year, because i know you can do it. And if you ever wanna play some poker, id love to play a few games with you.

Danny not sure if your going to check this thread again but just incase you do.I think the original poster was trying to give you a positive to look to when your sitting in these smaller tournaments with the less experienced crowd. (lets be honest thats why its boring) I dont believe many of your fans found it egotistical or arrogant of you to say you were bored I think that's being pretty tough on yourself. Anyways next time you find yourself bored think back to all your FCP.com fans. Maybe that'll help ya. But maybe not.*noteIf I was top notch I would be bored playing these low limits aswell. Smaller buy-ins = more reachable for the dreams that play terrible hands which in turn = tighter games which in turn = less excitement usually. Take Care,Tyler

Yep, exactly... I'm not mad or disappointed in D at all. Maybe a little dumbfounded.I also very much appreciate his situation, and really enjoy reading what he has to say, whether it's negative or positive. It is really interesting to read about what the "pros" think about.So.... Daniel has realized his problem... I'd like to see him come up with a solution! I always say not to complain about your situation unless you are prepared to fix it.So, Daniel... how can you get more excited about these "smaller" tourneys?I don't have any suggestions since I can't put myself in your shoes. I'm currently saving up so I can play a $400 tourney when I'm in Vegas...

I am always disappointed when Daniel is not playing the main featured Televised games.... Not only because he is the BEST player out there.... HE IS ALSO THE SEXIEST........ (Be still my heart).... :oops: All kidding aside (although I am not kidding about the sexy part).... I dont believe Daniel has lost touch with the average poker player.... like Daniel stated..... this is HIS reality right now..... and we as his supporters HAVE to respect this and stick behind him...... :clap: :bubblethanks:

Honestly, if no one here has ever hit that boredom or lack of interest in poker while playing than either A) you are the most focused person on the face of the earth or B) you haven't played poker just about every day for a year. Any poker player would tell you that they are not always focused, that at times they are just grinding. Like one of the previous posters said, do you still get excited to play for nickels? Same thing for Daniel, its tough to get excited for smaller tournies, and its basically showing up hoping to hit some big hands then if you get lucky and get late in the tourny then you focus in. A perfect example of this is me right now, I am reading and writing as I am playing in two small buy in tournies, why, I am not focused and just on cruise control.

Honestly, if no one here has ever hit that boredom or lack of interest in poker while playing than either A) you are the most focused person on the face of the earth or B) you haven't played poker just about every day for a year.  Any poker player would tell you that they are not always focused, that at times they are just grinding.  Like one of the previous posters said, do you still get excited to play for nickels?  Same thing for Daniel, its tough to get excited for smaller tournies, and its basically showing up hoping to hit some big hands then if you get lucky and get late in the tourny then you focus in.  A perfect example of this is me right now, I am reading and writing as I am playing in two small buy in tournies, why, I am not focused and just on cruise control.
I agree... it's a matter of relativity. If you just opened a lemonade stand, then the $0.10/0.25 game at UltimateBet might arouse you. I personally have trouble buying in for more than $60 or less than $20 whenever I play. But the goal of any player who's looking for more than a piggy bank full of nickels is to improve enough at each stakes level to advance to the next level. When you get good enough to meld textbook poker strategy and sheer instinct, you begin to look at your bankroll in terms of "bets" rather than "dollars and cents." If you're a world-class player who has the chops to play (and win) tournaments for millions of dollars, a $3000 buy-in is the equivalent of a small "bet" in the higher-stakes games to which you're accustomed.$3000 to me is giant step toward paying law school loans. But to a professional, it's just a chip off the ol' bankroll. This is not so much a function of ego as of professional necessity. Part of what enables great players to make the plays necessary to win is the ability to detach themselves from concern for an individual chip's monetary value and look ahead to the goal of simply acquiring more of those chips. If Daniel worried everytime he threw out a $60K bet that he was frittering away a high-end BMW, it would detract from his ability to take risks toward long-term results.Ultimately, in the world of high-stakes poker, time is money. If you're perfectly capable of taking down a $1M prize for a higher investment, then it's understandable that you would deem a smaller reward for a smaller investment an insufficient use of your time. If you're a real estate mogul with the capital to invest in entire condominium complexes with a lucrative yield, would you bother personally going through the steps to acquire single apartments when you could devote that time to closing a deal on the next complex?If, in his personal life, Daniel can't appreciate the value of $3000 -- he uses it, say, to kindle fires -- then I'd say he had lost touch with reality. But in his elite poker bubble, if $3000 motivated Daniel in the same way as $50K, I'd say he had lost the professional edge that seeks to maximize earning potential.Just my two cents.

Does it matter in what tournament Daniel plays in? whether it's for big money or not. Hey, if any of you had the chance to always play the tournaments with the biggest pots, i'm sure you would to. Why would you want to settle in playing tournaments that have small pots.Daniel is a professional poker player and i think he is one of the best poker players in the world and of course he should always be in the big tournaments. It's like a professional basketball player, you wouldn't see him playing pick up games with some kids at an outdoor basketball court. If a pro basketball player plays with kids at some random court, he'll win for sure the competition for him would suck big time since his skills are so much better than theirs. It's the same as Daniel, If he were in a small tournament with small pots, i'm sure that the competition there would be no one that has the same skill level as Daneil. Daniel might just as well just walk in to the tournament and two seconds later, walk out with the prize money.That's what i think

well first of all, im a big fan of daniel's..not only is he one of the best pleyrs in the world, hes one of the nicest ,and one of the bigest ambassadors for poker...i dont think what daniel said is a big deal..all of the players on his level feel the same way, they just dont have the stones to say what he said...thats like asking derrick jeter to play baseball for the minor league minimum..or asking kobe bryant to play one on one with gary coleman ..players that are on a diffrent level as 99% of others in their field need a bigger boost to get up for the competition...at least daniel had the ability to tell the truth...

I'm not by any means a top dawg poker player, I play online, I love home games but thats about the extent of my "career" with cards.This is Daniel's career, a hobbie that has become a fortunate path for life. You just have to sit back and realize why you got into poker in the first place. It's something you've always loved. Put money aside, play from the heart and be true to your roots. After this 2004 tour you will get your well-deserved "break" and get back in touch with reality, but not right now. Right now you have a job to do just like the rest of the world, finish off this year strong, prove to everyone that you are the 2004 champ!Keep loading up that resume of success,Govern

I agree with both sides on this issue. I remember back when my friends and I would get our paychecks from work and TRY to find 8-10 guys to have a $20 buy-in tournament. Now that I have been having good success on $200 SitNGo's on the net, these $20 things bore me quite frankly. I thought I would never get this way, but it happens. Now that I am like this, my friends understand where I come from, but I always try my hardest against them because I understand that this is their main event. They only get to play these $20 things once or twice every two weeks, whereas I'm playing as many as 10 $200 sit-n-gos a day. I don't know if this cleared anything up, but I feel like it needed to be said.

when you are used to playing for a certaain amount of money, its crazy to think you could be just as motovated playing for 1/4 of that amount..its just not the same...we wouldnt expect alex rodriguez to play baseball for 1/4 of his salary and the same goes for shaq...why do we expect that from daniel?? hes a pro player...thats what he does TO MAKE MONEY ...i usnderstand the love of the game stuff and yes im sure he does love the game, but business is business..lets not be naive here, at the end of the day , we all play poker for the same reason......to make money...i have been playing for 7 years, and im a pretty decnt player and i wouldnt be able to sit down and play 1/2 holdem anymore...it doesnt keep my focus..not saying that i think im great...its only saying that once you pass a certain level, its hard to go backward and maintainvthe same level of desire...anybody that cant see that, must havent graduated to that next level yet...

I would like to follow up in this thread....1-I don't beleive the original poster was being malicious, or rude towards Daniel. I too, think he was trying to bring to light some things that might get lost in the shuffle.2-I think it is very cool that Daniel would respond to a thread such as this one. He, once again, shows that he is truly a player that people can relate to. He is one of "us."Daniel, anyone that is attacking you about your poker "blues" simply doesn't know what you are going through because we don't play big dollar games on a regular basis. I think as all of us are fans of his, we all want to see him wrap his arms around that Player of the Year honor (no offense Mr. Juanda).I hope Daniel can reignite that fire to finish the year strongly.

I may have missed something along the line but least we forget poker is Daniel's job and haven't we all had times when we don't get up for our jobs or do the best work we can. I'm having one of those times right now. I'm sure he loves his job but being competitive you can't always be at your best. It's more emotional than logical. I appreciate his honesty. Thanks Daniel for your comments and I hope you can find that excitement again soon.

Personally I like to check out Daniel's blog to see the results of his tourneys but also to see how these games affect his outlook whether or not it was a complete success. He surely can't win or even finish at the final tables in every event he enters but he's definately not just there to pass the time. It looks like to me that Daniel does have a solid lock on the player of the year points and this is all after he won the WSOP POY award this past summer. He might not be excited but he might also need a little R&R. Playing in multiple tournaments in multiple cities time and time again has to get a little taxing on the mind after a while. It definately doesn't offend me to hear of Daniel not getting excited about 3,000 buy in tourneys or anything like that. Come on people I wanna hear about some action games not some chump $500 buy in tourney with everyone and their Mom playing. So anyway keep up the good (or not so good) posts cause I'll definately keep on checking back to read'em. JMHeel

Poker is his job, jobs get boring! Dan's fire will come back. However, if I were him I would do the following. I'd take about 500 bucks or so, find a smaller casino, walk in, find a 2-4 table with the youngest group of kids and sit down. Imagine their suprise if you sit down the Dan. They'll shit themselves. Anyway sit down, buy a round for the table, get hammered with them all, tell them that you'll pay 20 bucks to the guy that can showdown 8-3 offsuit and win, (8-3 offsuit is so cool!) and completely mess around for a few hours with some guys. I think if you did something like this, you would come to realize realize how much fun poker is. Play every hand, dump some money to the young college kids and make them laugh, you'll be back in the groove in no time. Not only will you feel better about yourself, the young guys you play with will have stories to tell their grandkids. But who knows, people are different, but thats what I would do. See you guys wicked later. James Boston/Winthrop Mass

Daniel already does something similar to this, he calls them fun days, where he plays just about any hand. This is what he did in the $1k wsop rebuy this year, he had a fun day and rebought 28 times. He was calling all ins with k5 offsuit 36 suited shit like that. Read his article on cardplayer on this tourny (he ended up taking 3rd I believe) as its really enjoyable. Also, funny that he had to take like 8th to break even in the tournament.

yeah i was kind of refferring to that article. The party day article where he "got the tilt out" and the article (8-3 offsuit is so cool). I figured he probably doesnt do much of that anymore, so I figured it would do him good to get back to his roots!