Did everyone see that tomahawk shot with the stick to Ryan Hollweg's face?Ugly, ugly stuff, Simon is lucky that Hollweg wasn't seriously hurt. Yes, Simon took a hit into the boards from behind, but there's just no excuse for trying to take a guy's head off with your stick like that. He was ejected from the game, and in all likelyhood will be suspended for the rest of the season. I've been trying to find a video of the shot but it doesn't seem to be up on YouTube yet and I haven't found a game recap vid.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did everyone see that tomahawk shot with the stick to Ryan Hollweg's face?Ugly, ugly stuff, Simon is lucky that Hollweg wasn't seriously hurt. Yes, Simon took a hit into the boards from behind, but there's just no excuse for trying to take a guy's head off with your stick like that. He was ejected from the game, and in all likelyhood will be suspended for the rest of the season. I've been trying to find a video of the shot but it doesn't seem to be up on YouTube yet and I haven't found a game recap vid.
It's on youtube some where. It is a cheap shot but no where as bad as some people are making it.

ESPN has the game video up, here it is:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270308012It's not as bad as Marty McSorley all those years ago, but still, there's no place in the game for intentionally taking a shot at a guy's face with your stick. It was a cheap play and Simon should be done for the year, end of story. Colin Campbell can't let this one slide.

It's on youtube some where. It is a cheap shot but no where as bad as some people are making it.
It's pretty bad Belanger...I only saw it quickly and Simon could have been trying to slash him across the chest and hollweg kinda lifted it into his face. Either way it's uncalled for, I really get pissed when guys use their stick as a weapon.edit: I take that back...he went face all the way. I don't wanna see Simon the rest of this year, playoffs included.

yeah, this is nearly as bad as the McSorley hit, IMO. clearly premeditated, two-handed, aiming at the face. thats season and playoffs, if not more. what makes it worse is that this is Chris Simon and Ryan Hollweg. If simon had just dropped his gloves instead of swinging his stick, he could've had the first crack at Hollweg, and probably done some more satisfying damage.

With this being around the 3 year anniversary of the Moore/Bertuzzi incident, he picked a bad time to lose it.
Three years to the day, IIRC. Horrible timing by Simon, especially on the heels of the Neil/Drury and Janssen/Kaberle incidents.

I've always like Simon and I'm just speechless. I'm really surprised he'd do something like this...this could be the end of his career potentially. :club:

Just this morning I watched a touching piece on HBO Real Sports about Ted Nolan as well as Chris Simon getting over his alcohol issues... then this. Poor guy, he lost it there and it's going to cost him.

That's gotta be one of the worst cheapshots I've ever seen. Makes McSorley's hit on Brashear look like a love tap.He two hand axe swung at him. He misses the rest of this year, and a good chunk of next year.

That's gotta be one of the worst cheapshots I've ever seen. Makes McSorley's hit on Brashear look like a love tap.He two hand axe swung at him. He misses the rest of this year, and a good chunk of next year.
man i totally agree, that was plain disgusting. with the brashear incident he was skating away which made it bad cos it was a real blindside. with this one hollweg is skating right at simon, it was almost like a baseball player in spring training, taking a swing in the batters cage. i really think simon could be in serious trouble with this one. Hollweg is pretty lucky not to be more hurt.Simon on Hollweg
man i totally agree, that was plain disgusting. with the brashear incident he was skating away which made it bad cos it was a real blindside. with this one hollweg is skating right at simon, it was almost like a baseball player in spring training, taking a swing in the batters cage. i really think simon could be in serious trouble with this one. Hollweg is pretty lucky not to be more hurt.Simon on Hollweg
Just saw this wow....This is just ridicolous...If he gets anything less than 20 games there is something wrong...It should be remainder of the season and playoffs MINIMUM
Just this morning I watched a touching piece on HBO Real Sports about Ted Nolan as well as Chris Simon getting over his alcohol issues... then this. Poor guy, he lost it there and it's going to cost him.
I saw the same piece Daniel. I was watching the game last night, commenting to my friend about what a good guy Chris Simon is now, and how he's been sober for so long...and then he breaks Hollweg's face. Made me look kind've stupid.

I agree it was just nasty. I would say the rest of this year and into next year. McSorley/Brashear was worse IMHO (2 handed baseball swing to the back of the head), but there is no need for this nonsense.But if Janssen only get's 3 games, nothing will surprise me.

Am I the only one who thinks Hollweg embellished a little? Yes, it was a disgusting act by Simon, but there was no need to embellish the play.Unfortunately, the NHL will probably base their decision on the extent of Hollweg's injury. They continue to miss the point that they need to punish the act and not the consequence.If it were my decision the suspension would be...rest of the 2006-07 regular seasonall of 2006-07 playoffs if applicablefirst 10 games of 2007-08

I agree it was just nasty. I would say the rest of this year and into next year. McSorley/Brashear was worse IMHO (2 handed baseball swing to the back of the head), but there is no need for this nonsense.But if Janssen only get's 3 games, nothing will surprise me.
This is much worse than what Janssen or McSorley did. Whats with the first couple posts saying it wasn't so bad? Two handed swing to the face, Simon should be gone for atleast this year and more, this is worse than Bertuzzi/Moore...Simon's suspension shouldn't be less just because Hollweg wasn't injured.
This is much worse than what Janssen or McSorley did. Whats with the first couple posts saying it wasn't so bad? Two handed swing to the face, Simon should be gone for atleast this year and more, this is worse than Bertuzzi/Moore...Simon's suspension shouldn't be less just because Hollweg wasn't injured.
There is no way that this is worse than McSorley or Bertuzzi (McSorely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sSoF40e30). I agree it is awful, but not that bad. Digital Monkey, I agree with your suspension. Mine would be about the same.

Wow, that was simply brutal.Do this on any street corner and you are doing time. This guy should be banned for life. If that stick drifts down a little you could kill a guy by crushing his windpipe, or if the stick drifts up a bit you could blind the guy. Just horrible....

Am I the only one who thinks Hollweg embellished a little? Yes, it was a disgusting act by Simon, but there was no need to embellish the play.Unfortunately, the NHL will probably base their decision on the extent of Hollweg's injury. They continue to miss the point that they need to punish the act and not the consequence.If it were my decision the suspension would be...rest of the 2006-07 regular seasonall of 2006-07 playoffs if applicablefirst 10 games of 2007-08
i really like this idea of taking it into next season. don't think he should end his career, but the idea of it being indefinite (playoffs), but a minimum of 20+ games would send a message IMO. season + playoffs is minimum, and i'd really like to see them extend it 10-20 games into next year.
I posted the same thing on HF and got absolutely blasted on that site by many people. When I first saw the after math Hollweg looked dead and he only had a little cut on his jaw.Personally I think while it was a shot to the face Hollweg's arm took the brunt of the blade of the stick. Since the blade hit his shoulder the damage was high reduced.
I posted the same thing on HF and got absolutely blasted on that site by many people. When I first saw the after math Hollweg looked dead and he only had a little cut on his jaw.Personally I think while it was a shot to the face Hollweg's arm took the brunt of the blade of the stick. Since the blade hit his shoulder the damage was high reduced.
Considering Hollweg missed a full season with a concussion, its a miracle he even got up. With his medical history i don't blame him for staying on the ice.
Considering Hollweg missed a full season with a concussion, its a miracle he even got up. With his medical history i don't blame him for staying on the ice.
Oh, I guess diving should be permitted if you've been legitimately tripped in the past then.