• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the following is trash compared to this.

holy fvck this show is good.

One of the things i love about the show, is how great the soundtrack is. It's so creepy and minimalist. It's scored better than most movies.

It's a solid network show. Of course, I thought The Following was also solid, but I've ejected. If it stays weird and creepy and doesn't move into season 5 of 24 territory, I'll stick with it.

I'm watching, it's pretty good.

Since it's being shot here in Toronto it's always interesting seeing random Canadian actors in small parts or a street scene that is familiar.

Next weeks preview looked good. Looked like Hannibal is gonna kill someone. I'd like to see more of him doing evil things. But I like the show, the main characters overacting aside.

I downloaded the episode they chose not to air in the U.S. the other day. I don't really see what the big deal was. Basically a lady kidnaps boys then brainwashes them into thinking she and the other boys she has kidnapped are their new family. Then they go back and kill the boys' real families. Screwed up? Sure. Was it necessary to pull the episode? I don't see why.

I'm enjoying the show though I was disappointed with the scene in the recent episode where they showed Hannibal cooking something then flashed to a guy running in the woods, then Hannibal butchering a slab of meat and then Hannibal cooking again. I like how they've developed his character, he's almost likeable even though he's a bit uptight and very strange. They've alluded to the cannibal thing already, why the need to shove it in our face? Just seemed unnecessary imo.

I've watched the first 6 episodes, with the exception of the one that wasn't aired, and I'm pleasantly surprised so far. Larry Fishburne is horrible, just wretched, especially in the most recent ep (the scene where he chokes up in Dr. Lecter's office...), but I actually like Hugh Dancy's Will Graham. I'm especially happy Bryan Fuller chose to portray Will Graham as a tortured empath, like he came across in the novels. He was a great character in Thomas Harris's Red Dragon, but I always thought Lilly/Ratner made some poor choices for his character in the most recent film version; Edward Norton's Will Graham felt sterile and neutered.

The show has some weaknesses, from the occasional honker of a bad line to, yes, some really awful Larry Fishpuke, but I think it is, for the most part, good. I hope it makes it past the first season, though given Fuller's track record, I would be surprised if more than 13 episodes air.

Anyway, Eddie Izzard's American accent is simply atrocious. I really like him, but it is turrible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Show was picked up for a 13 episode season 2. I'm happy to hear that.

That's good news. I like this a lot better than the critics seem to, and I don't really like anything, because everything sucks. But this show is really good, bordering on excellent. I think critics miss the "dream ethos" nature of the show. Will Graham is struggling to hold onto his sanity, but much of his struggle manifests itself as a kind of disassociation from reality. Most episodes start with Will's weird role-playing exercise, but most people miss that it never stops. It might stop being explicit, but Graham is always doing what he's doing, because his disease is that he cannot stop. And the show is basically through his eyes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Started re watching this show yesterday and my only complaint is that for a show called Hannibal there isn't nearly enough Hannibal. Give this guy the majority of the screen time please. I don't need two scenes an episode where will graham is sweating during a nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...