I checked turn to get a free draw, however I feel like I should have bet it in hindsightIs river always a fold or am I getting worse hands to bet here? Like AJ, or A10...? PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.comPreflop: Hero is SB with Q[:heart:], A[:heart:]. UTG calls, 6 folds, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG calls.Flop: (6 SB) 6[:heart:], 5[:spade:], 3[:spade:] (3 players)Hero bets, BB calls, UTG folds.Turn: (4 BB) 8[:heart:] (2 players)Hero checks, BB checks.River: (4 BB) 7[:spade:] (2 players)Hero checks, BB bets, Hero folds.Final Pot: 5 BB

It's amazing to me how many times firing out the 2nd continuation bet will pick up these pots. It seems like the Villains will think nothing of calling the small bet, but so many times the larger turn bet scares them off. There are 3 possibilities on a hand like this. Villain is on a straight draw, a flush draw or he paired some part of that flop. if it's either of either of the first two possibilities then he's going nowhere as he has the pot odds to chase getting 7-1 on the flop. if the third possibility is in fact true betting the turn could have him putting you on a decent sized pocket pair and he may lay it down. With you now holding the nut flush draw I thing a turn bet is a must. The river is obviously a check/fold scenario. No Ace, no queen, nop flush for you and a possible straight and possible spade flush staring you in the face. Betting the river would not be aggressive, simply reckless.

dear god fire the f***ing turn! seriously what was your plan? catch the flush on the turn, just get called and win the min when you backdoor the nuts?

It's amazing to me how many times firing out the 2nd continuation bet will pick up these pots. It seems like the Villains will think nothing of calling the small bet, but so many times the larger turn bet scares them off. There are 3 possibilities on a hand like this. Villain is on a straight draw, a flush draw or he paired some part of that flop. if it's either of either of the first two possibilities then he's going nowhere as he has the pot odds to chase getting 7-1 on the flop. if the third possibility is in fact true betting the turn could have him putting you on a decent sized pocket pair and he may lay it down. With you now holding the nut flush draw I thing a turn bet is a must. The river is obviously a check/fold scenario. No Ace, no queen, nop flush for you and a possible straight and possible spade flush staring you in the face. Betting the river would not be aggressive, simply reckless.
Makes sense. Thanks for explaining it...I got called so light the first hour I played I started just betting when I had it and checking when I didn't thinking the table was just calling with any pair. Plus in NL when you raise pre, c-bet that flop it's usually bloating the pot to bet the turn even though you picked up the flush draw.

Bet turn please. It's possible you still have the best hand. The board is draw heavy. You don't want to give free cards. Often villains will call flop w/overcards (or even one overcard) but fold to a turn c-bet. If a turn c-bet is called, I check/call or check/fold depending if the river hit the board. On this river, check/fold.

• 2 years later...

yes bet the turn and the flop is getting peeled as light as naked over cards in these games i would imagine... i wouldn't be folding most rivers... this one however is pretty ugly...