Meet With God

If you could meet with God for 15 minutes what would you say/do?Personally, I'd be jealous of him.---Also, this is unrelated, but what if an afterlife does exist and 'God' is just the first person who died and claimed to be God.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

---Also, this is unrelated, but what if an afterlife does exist and 'God' is just the first person who died and claimed to be God.
Interesting topic for a short story.

Depends. If it is the Christian god, I would kick him in the teeth. And then do it over and over again every second for eternity. Considering he is the asshole that sends the majority of the people on the planet (non-christians) to hell for eternity, I consider this getting off light.

Also, this is unrelated, but what if an afterlife does exist and 'God' is just the first person who died and claimed to be God.
Well, it's hard to define "first person" unless you believe in god...in which case it's a moo point.

I don't think I would be jealous of God. What exactly is there to be jealous of? Eh, whatever.I would probably just ask him if their are other form of life in the universe. I would ask him who shot Kennedy. And if this was before Lost was finished I would ask him how it ends.

I don't think I would be jealous of God. What exactly is there to be jealous of? Eh, whatever.I would probably just ask him if their are other form of life in the universe. I would ask him who shot Kennedy. And if this was before Lost was finished I would ask him how it ends.
One of my hopes is that in Heaven there is a big DVD library of everything because I really plan on spending about 2-3,000 years watching everything.Especially Area 51...
If you could meet with God for 15 minutes what would you say/do?Personally, I'd be jealous of him.---Also, this is unrelated, but what if an afterlife does exist and 'God' is just the first person who died and claimed to be God.
I would ask him why, if Satan runs wild here on earth creating destruction and taking names, being that he is stronger than said Satan, why not just outright destroy Satan? Is it really just about the contest? I create you, I create a set of rules for you, I allow another entity to try and get you to break those rules, and if you do you put your soul in jeopardy. It all seems like a big contest easily eliminated by just calling off the contest by destroying the other team.
Power. Infinite consciousness. If you don't believe in God, I don't think it's far fetched to think of God (or gods) as a construct of a 'perfect' human - so, if he were to exist, I would simply ask: why him? Why not me? I want that power.
This is a pretty hilarious statement.
Because you think it's absurd?
Power. Infinite consciousness. If you don't believe in God, I don't think it's far fetched to think of God (or gods) as a construct of a 'perfect' human .
I think you don't understand what it means to not believe in god.
if he were to exist, I would simply ask: why him? Why not me? I want that power
Beeeeeecause he's infinite and you were born a decade or two ago?
Because it's hilarious.
I think you don't understand what it means to not believe in god.
How do you mean? I don't believe in God. It sounds like you don't know what it means to not believe in God, maybe. If you're going to make accusations, provide an argument, not a straw man. Show me an argument for God's existence.
Beeeeeecause he's infinite and you were born a decade or two ago?
Aren't you kind of 'results oriented' here? Assuming God exists, why does he exist in the way he does? Why does the infinite necessarily exist? Let me guess: this is the best possible existence, so it exists in this way because it can't exist any other way. Is that what you're implying?
Because it's hilarious.
Maybe you should enlighten me. Is it funny because any attempt to break a dogmatic ideology is funny because of that very dogmatism? I think it's hilarious that you accept ideas as truth without truly questioning it.
How do you mean? I don't believe in God. It sounds like you don't know what it means to not believe in God, maybe. If you're going to make accusations, provide an argument, not a straw man. Show me an argument for God's existence.
Well now I'm moving on to thinking that you don't know what a straw man argument is. But, regardless of that issue, your comment didn't make much sense. Someone who doesn't believe in god isn't going to "think of god as a construct of a 'perfect' human"...he's not going to think of god as anything at all. Because he doesn't believe in the existence of god in any form. See what I mean?
Aren't you kind of 'results oriented' here? Assuming God exists, why does he exist in the way he does? Why does the infinite necessarily exist? Let me guess: this is the best possible existence, so it exists in this way because it can't exist any other way. Is that what you're implying?
Uh, ok, let's go one at a time, mostly because your stream of consciousness method of questioning is confusing to me.Aren't you kind of 'results oriented' here? - Yes, I am. You are the result of a particular sperm from your dad's seminal fluid working its way into a particular egg in your mother's body. This occured a certain number of years ago. That, in a nutshell, is why you are not god. Unless you want to argue that your consciousness is just as infinite as god (if we're still assuming he exists), in which case we'll be in a realm of far-fetched metaphysical guessing that's the point of no return in most conversations. Assuming God exists, why does he exist in the way he does? - That's really not a question that can be answered by anyone but god, I suppose. Maybe you could ask him that during your 15 minutes.Why does the infinite necessarily exist? - Complex mathematics?Let me guess: this is the best possible existence, so it exists in this way because it can't exist any other way. - I don't even know what you're asking about anymore. God's existence? The existence of 'the infinite'? God specifically as an infinite being? Is that what you're implying? - Probably not, but I'm not sure what you're implying that I'm implying.
Maybe you should enlighten me. Is it funny because any attempt to break a dogmatic ideology is funny because of that very dogmatism? I think it's hilarious that you accept ideas as truth without truly questioning it.
It's funny because you would be jealous of god for being god. I mean...that's funny. I'm literally laughing right now because there's no way to describe why it's funny...it just is.
Well now I'm moving on to thinking that you don't know what a straw man argument is. But, regardless of that issue, your comment didn't make much sense. Someone who doesn't believe in god isn't going to "think of god as a construct of a 'perfect' human"...he's not going to think of god as anything at all. Because he doesn't believe in the existence of god in any form. See what I mean?
My bad, I meant ad hominem.You're confusing the actual existence of God with the conceptual existence of God. It seems very unlikely that he exists, but the idea of God existing is irrefutable. I don't believe that Santa Clause exists, but the idea of him exists.I was curious as to why the concept of God exists. I think it's due to the human desire for perfection and the will to power. I think the concept of the infinite (read:God) comes from negating the finite (humankind) and not the other way around, as a fair amount of modern philosophers would argue.
Uh, ok, let's go one at a time, mostly because your stream of consciousness method of questioning is confusing to me.Aren't you kind of 'results oriented' here? - Yes, I am. You are the result of a particular sperm from your dad's seminal fluid working its way into a particular egg in your mother's body. This occured a certain number of years ago. That, in a nutshell, is why you are not god. Unless you want to argue that your consciousness is just as infinite as god (if we're still assuming he exists), in which case we'll be in a realm of far-fetched metaphysical guessing that's the point of no return in most conversations. Assuming God exists, why does he exist in the way he does? - That's really not a question that can be answered by anyone but god, I suppose. Maybe you could ask him that during your 15 minutes.Why does the infinite necessarily exist? - Complex mathematics?Let me guess: this is the best possible existence, so it exists in this way because it can't exist any other way. - I don't even know what you're asking about anymore. God's existence? The existence of 'the infinite'? God specifically as an infinite being? Is that what you're implying? - Probably not, but I'm not sure what you're implying that I'm implying.
I can't tell if you were being serious about your bit about the sperm and whatnot. I'm quite aware as to how I came into existence. But it's a question of why. Why do I exist? Why do my parents, so on and so forth. But yes, my question was: why isn't my consciousness infinite?I lump the infinite and the term God together. I'm curious as why you said 'complex mathematics' for why the infinite necessarily exists. Are you a mathematical realist or something?
It's funny because you would be jealous of god for being god. I mean...that's funny. I'm literally laughing right now because there's no way to describe why it's funny...it just is.
My original question was just a thought experiment. I don't think it's absurd to desire infinite consciousness, immortality, etc.
You're confusing the actual existence of God with the conceptual existence of God. It seems very unlikely that he exists, but the idea of God existing is irrefutable. I don't believe that Santa Clause exists, but the idea of him exists.
I was just referring to the fact that you said it's "not far fetched" for an atheist to think of god in a certain way. It is far fetched for an atheist to think of god in any way. That's all I was saying.
I was curious as to why the concept of God exists. I think it's due to the human desire for perfection and the will to power. I think the concept of the infinite (read:God) comes from negating the finite (humankind) and not the other way around, as a fair amount of modern philosophers would argue.
Oh, well, I can tell you almost for certain why the concept of god exists, and it's nothing that complicated. It's because some people need simple explanations for things they can't understand. "God did it" is a nice fallback to have. Also it's good for crowd control.
But yes, my question was: why isn't my consciousness infinite?
Because your consciousness is a result of a whole bunch of crap going on in your brain.
I lump the infinite and the term God together. I'm curious as why you said 'complex mathematics' for why the infinite necessarily exists.
Your lumping of those terms together confuses the issue. In fact, I still don't really know what you mean by "the infinite" in regards to any given comment. Infinite time and/or space are real things, defined by math and/or physics (hence my comment). You can't use those terms interchangably, since god isn't something that can be tied to the laws of nature (since nobody knows anything about him or if he even exists). Maybe you don't mean to use them interchangably, but it's kind of coming off that way. Oh, and I don't know what a mathematical realist is. Sounds cool though. Let's say that I am one.
My original question was just a thought experiment. I don't think it's absurd to desire infinite consciousness, immortality, etc.
I don't either.
If you could meet with God for 15 minutes what would you say/do?Personally, I'd be jealous of him.
This is a pretty hilarious statement.
Because it's hilarious.
It can be explained, and I'm pretty sure LLY found it funny for the same reason I did.Let's break it down:"If you could meet with God for 15 minutes what would you say/do?"This was the question."Personally, I'd be jealous of him."This was the answer. If this dude were to meet God for 15 minutes what he would say and do is "be jealous."He would neglect to even ask a question. He wouldn't ask any questions of God. Not a single question. In point of fact he doesn't even intimate he would speak to God at all. Not in statement, question... any audible sounds at all. Nor by gesture. No form of communication. And what he would do during his 15 minute face to face with the High Lord Creator of all things? He would exist. Jealously. That's what he would do. He would be -- he would reside in being. Jealous. He would perform no other action. He would not prostrate, or cry, or laugh, or wave, or sigh, or shake his head or pace or dance or shake his fists. He wouldn't chew his finger nails. He would be. Upon seeing God he would not be awed or frightened or comforted or confused or aghast or prone to philosophical turmoil or enlightenment. He would be jealous. He would stand there. For 15 minutes. Jealous. Linguistically, conceptually, or taken literally it is hilarious. And awesome. gawd.jpg

I like the look Spademan gave God.Edit: After examining my poorly constructed sentence, I'm now imagining Spademan meeting God and giving him a look of disdain.