Do You Believe In Love?

Do You Believe In Love?MATTHEW 5:44 NKJ44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curseyou, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those whospitefully use you and persecute you,Most people believe in force: guns and armies.Most people believe in money: "financial power."Many people believe in education, that "If we just educatepeople enough we can change the world."Hardly anyone seems to believe in the power of love to changethings. No one seems to think it would do any good to "turn theother cheek."Jesus didn't tell us to "turn the other cheek" just so we couldget beat up more. Jesus believes in the power of love. Jesusbelieves that evil can be overcome with good.ROMANS 12:20-21 NKJ20 Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he isthirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coalsof fire on his head."21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.God still believes in the power of love. He believes that ifyou love enough, and for long enough, people will finally cometo their senses and respond to that love.JOHN 13:34-35 NIV34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have lovedyou, so you must love one another.35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if youlove one another."Jesus said the mark of His believers would be their love. Wheredid we go wrong?

I know it's out there.Love is many things to many people. There are those who subscribe to Tuff Love, which often then gets twisted over time into anger and resentment and judgement. Then there are those who love to a fault...and get run over and smashed, all the while with a big smile on their face.Love your enemies? There is a time to fight for what is right. Many enemies are truly evil. But more over I think that it is by devine design that we will never fully succeed in this. That we constantly try is what's important. that is the true test, much as we may often fail at it.Deep down I believe we all care about each other more than we don't. This world just has a way of covering it up with dirt sometimes.We are being tested.Just my opinion obviously. Peace! :club:

Good devotional . . . thanks Daniel.It's really, really hard to love your enemies. It's even harder to pray for them. I struggle in this area a great bit.

For me, it is definately difficult to love my enemies--because if i love them, it is difficult to think of them as my enemies. Which is probably something Jesus was getting at. The only question is, whether that enemy will return in kind.If you love first and try not to let hate get into the equation--i don't see how someone can have many (if any) enemies. I can't think of ONE person in this world i'd consider an enemy to me personally. Of course i dislike some people--but i can usually find SOME good in everyone if i look hard enough--the difficult part is to focus on that instead of the negative. Those i don't like don't become enemies--i just avoid them--which i guess can be just as bad as hate considering the opposite of love isn't hate---its indifference.If you think about our global concerns with terrorism and whatnot--i think we have a situation where our actions and their actions lack love and compassion. Problem is, we can't just start being nice to terrorists because they'll surely exploit that to their own advantage. But had our country acted towards the rest of the world without only its own interests in mind (which isn't necessarily culpable conduct, mind you)--maybe we wouldn't be in this situation. Who knows.But the problem is that turning the other cheek makes you vulnerable---and using financial power and force does the opposite. It is EASIER to force your enemies into submission than to love them into submission. With humans being self-preserving and inherently lazy---no wonder why we take the easy way out.

I always believed that the Old Testament gives you a guide line for how a government handles issues, and the New Testmanet gives you guide lines for how an individual deals with problems. That's why you can turn the other cheek, and still support the concept of capital punishment. As an individual I am commanded to love my enemies, as a government they are charged to uphold the peace.And doing good to those that spite you heaps coals of fire on their heads. Treating those that are mean to you with respect and favor is so foreign from the world's perspective that they become freed to end their hatred. Happens all the time in real life to me. I use kind words to turn away wrath. People want to get along, sometimes you have to be the one willing to be wronged in order to make things better.

Yes, I believe in love....as a chemical/electrical construct that evolution favored because it encouraged family units, bonding, empathy etc. I dont think it is any coincidence that the male of the species "falls out of love" and there are spikes in divorce rates at two points in marriages..soon after children are born (and the urge for quantity of progeny overtakes quality) and then again after the children mature (and there is no longer competition between quality and quantity).

Yes, I believe in love....as a chemical/electrical construct that evolution favored because it encouraged family units, bonding, empathy etc. I dont think it is any coincidence that the male of the species "falls out of love" and there are spikes in divorce rates at two points in marriages..soon after children are born (and the urge for quantity of progeny overtakes quality) and then again after the children mature (and there is no longer competition between quality and quantity).
I think Daniel was talking more of a brotherly love between mankind, not specifically between a man and a woman.

Thanks Daniel. I really appreciate these devotionals. We have a hard time seeing through all the "issues" to see the central message. God is love and if we love God with all our whole heart, soul, minds, and strength and our neighbors as ourselves it will turn our lives upside down - and in God's eyes - right side up. The greatest compliment I ever received was from a person who in a public place for no real reason other than I was acting patiently when other might not said - "are you a Christian?" I replyed "yes, why do you ask" she said "I could tell by how you act" You hit it on the head today. We need to act like love is the central theme in our lives. I'm glad you're shining the light.Thanks too for playing in the DN Open tonight. It means alot for us small stakes players to get a chance to play in a tournament with you. I hope to get a chance to be matched at the same table some week. :club: JimShoen

One of my fav songs....What is Love? - Howard JonesI love you whether or not you love me I love you even if you think that I don't Sometimes I find you doubt my love for you, but I don't mind Why should I mind, Why should I mind Chorus What is Love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway What is Love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway Can anybody love anyone so much that they will never fear Never worry, never be sad The answer is they cannot love this much nobody can This is why I don't mind you doubting And maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be The door always must be left unlocked To love when circumstance may lead someone away from you And not to spend the time just doubtingWhat is love?

I think Daniel was talking more of a brotherly love between mankind, not specifically between a man and a woman.
Oh..is that what that long thing I didnt read say?
One of my fav songs....What is Love? - Howard JonesI love you whether or not you love me I love you even if you think that I don't Sometimes I find you doubt my love for you, but I don't mind Why should I mind, Why should I mind Chorus What is Love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway What is Love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway Can anybody love anyone so much that they will never fear Never worry, never be sad The answer is they cannot love this much nobody can This is why I don't mind you doubting And maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be The door always must be left unlocked To love when circumstance may lead someone away from you And not to spend the time just doubtingWhat is love?
One of my fav songs...What is love? - Haddaway (as seen in Night at the Roxbury)What is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more What is love Oh I don't know Why you're not fair I give you my love But you don't care So what is right And what is wrong Give me a sign ChorusWhat is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more What is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more Oh I don't know What can I do What else can I say It's up to you I know we're one Just me and you I can't go on ChorusI want no other No other love This is your life our time When we are together I need you forever Is it love ChorusChorus
One of my fav songs...What is love? - Haddaway (as seen in Night at the Roxbury)What is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more What is love Oh I don't know Why you're not fair I give you my love But you don't care So what is right And what is wrong Give me a sign ChorusWhat is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more What is love Baby don't hurt me Don't hurt me No more Oh I don't know What can I do What else can I say It's up to you I know we're one Just me and you I can't go on ChorusI want no other No other love This is your life our time When we are together I need you forever Is it love ChorusChorus
Haha Nh Speedz you masterbater in front of your mom, you!
You must be one miserable dude. Unless you're sleeping with that lovely woman on your icon.
LOL.... you sure hold a ton of stock in a theory.
Oh..is that what that long thing I didnt read say?
nh... this is sure to get you respect.
You must be one miserable dude. Unless you're sleeping with that lovely woman on your icon.
This actually wouldn't help him not feel miserable.
LOL.... you sure hold a ton of stock in a theory.
Have you ever tried to jump off a 500 foot tall building?No?LOL... you sure hold a ton of stock in the theory of gravity.

I would just like to remind everyone that the devotional threads are not for debate, per Daniel's request. They are there for the Christians of FCP and anybody with questions. To debate, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Do You Believe In Love?MATTHEW 5:44 NKJ44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curseyou, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those whospitefully use you and persecute you,Most people believe in force: guns and armies.Most people believe in money: "financial power."Many people believe in education, that "If we just educatepeople enough we can change the world."Hardly anyone seems to believe in the power of love to changethings. No one seems to think it would do any good to "turn theother cheek."Jesus didn't tell us to "turn the other cheek" just so we couldget beat up more. Jesus believes in the power of love. Jesusbelieves that evil can be overcome with good.ROMANS 12:20-21 NKJ20 Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he isthirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coalsof fire on his head."21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.God still believes in the power of love. He believes that ifyou love enough, and for long enough, people will finally cometo their senses and respond to that love.JOHN 13:34-35 NIV34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have lovedyou, so you must love one another.35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if youlove one another."Jesus said the mark of His believers would be their love. Wheredid we go wrong?
Daniel, we need more people like you, and im not just saying that because you are famous.
LOL.... you sure hold a ton of stock in a theory.nh... this is sure to get you respect.This actually wouldn't help him not feel miserable.
I feel just fine, even without Jennifer Connolly, though Im not saying that wouldnt kick things up a notch.
Daniel, we need more people like you, and im not just saying that because you are famous.
agreed dude. keep the devotionals coming. it's been helping.