It's so interesting to hear people speaking about being good servants of "God", while living a life completely opposite of what "God" would like, should he exist.Here's Daniel, saying "I've been focusing on 'God' lately, being a better husband, son, and friend." Now, let's see: He lives, and works, in "Sin City". Keyword: "Sin". His profession is exactly opposite of what "God" would technically allow. His lifestyle, constantly engaging in "Sin" in "Sin City", while occasionally reading the bible and saying he's close to God, is so funny that I alway laugh outloud when he mentions "God". Now, being educated, taking many different college courses, you find out about histories of religion, and people's thoughts on "God". Many people think of "God" as just worshipping their community and family, but having to put a tag on it as though it comes from "above". Daniel is being a better person lately, which is surely responsible for success, but to say "God" brought this about is quite a good joke. It comes from being centered, and being responsible, and being kind to all of the people in your life. It's a seemingly "spiritual" energy, sure, but to think DN's way is saying that "God" is watching over poker tournaments, making sure that someone who mentions "Him" will win the tournament, similar to pro football or basketball players claiming a relationship with "God", since surely "He" is watching over the Super Bowl as well, to make sure the more "Godly" team wins. My biggest complaint with "God" is this: What about all the Native Americans, north and south, who had never heard of this "God" before when contacted, or "discovered" by Columbus. If "God" is responsible for creating everyone, and those who deny "Him" being heathen sinners, how is it possible for brown people to exist on this continent and worship the "Sun", or other strange mythical deities. And too, if you actually read the bible, it sounds like such a crazy fairy tale, particularly the New Testament. All these kings telling their people that "God" wished for them to slaughter other people because "God" had told him that "He" wanted them to have the other people's land. It's just like politics today, but i'm sure most people really believed that "God" had said this, so it was OK to carry out all of these insane genocides after genocides, since that what "He" wanted. The bible: A Tale of Horrific Genocide. If people are truly "God's" people, they should be spending a majority of their lives preaching about "God" in the streets, and not just mentioning "Him" in a blog occasionally and thinking this will get them into "Heaven". Do I wish for anyone to actually do this? NO, because I'm mature enough now, and have read enough, to know that "God" is a fairy tale, a myth used to subjugate a population and commit genocide for the sake of imperialism, similar to Bush today claiming he has a strong relationship with "God" while indiscriminantly slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people around the world for the real God, "Oil". Wake up, read about the universe, the many, MANY MILLIONS of other galaxies out there, read what science has to say about the actual age of our universe and our Earth. If after reading, and THINKING, about these things for a long time, if you still can believe in some strange deity who allegedly cares about the outcomes of poker matches and football games, fine, there's nothing I can do for you. But at least make the effort, becaue I'm sure you'd be surprised what you find out there with your "Mind" OPEN! :twisted:

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an atheist and I still think your basic argument sucks. To say that DN cannot be a Christian/be one of 'God's people' because he plays poker is just plain silly. Believe it or not, people exercise faith in different ways. Just because DN doesn't practice it the way YOU think he should doesn't make him sinful, or whatever.Oh, by the way, to compare organized religion to Bush is also just stupid. Honestly, I've got way too much school work to respond to each and every argument you make, but I will in the near future. I'm a liberal, I'm an atheist, and I'm outspoken about those two things. I am saddened that I am in the same barrel as you. And as a college student, if you think that "taking many college courses" makes you some sort of expert on theology and history, you're sadly mistaken.

Every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, whether you believe it or not.
is this in the Bible?? You know, that one book which some guys just wrote and say that everyone must follow????
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, whether you believe it or not.
is this in the Bible?? You know, that one book which some guys just wrote and say that everyone must follow????
Stop.Now.Seriously, stop it. Why must all discussions of religion boil down to this bullshit? Are people incapable of having mature conversations about difficult subjects anymore? Do we really have to belittle each other and spout off this shit?If you want to get into a serious discussion about religion, I'm all for it. Discussion harbors understanding. Understanding is what it is all about.So, please...stop it. Stop it with your arguments that will only cause people to get offended. Say something intelligent and reasoned, for crying out loud.

Go read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel, then talk. Furthermore, when Judas hung himself, the eleven apostles had 2 candidates draw lots (sticks) to decide who would be the 12th apostle--hoping for intervention by God for their decision---i.e. akin to gambling.Everyone believes whatever they want--so get off your high horse and use references not your lame thoughts.Fullhouse7

Stop.Now.Seriously, stop it. Why must all discussions of religion boil down to this bullshit? Are people incapable of having mature conversations about difficult subjects anymore? Do we really have to belittle each other and spout off this shit?If you want to get into a serious discussion about religion, I'm all for it. Discussion harbors understanding. Understanding is what it is all about.So, please...stop it. Stop it with your arguments that will only cause people to get offended. Say something intelligent and reasoned, for crying out loud.
That's my "serious" opinion on the Bible, so deal with it. Much organized religion is bullsh*t in my opinion, so I'm gonna say it ON A F*CKING INTERNET POKER FORUM. If you are trying to go find a real serious and philosophical discussion on religion with no outside sh*t, then go find a "GOD" forum.