Book Review: Positively Fifth Street

Let me start by saying that I’m nowhere near qualified to do a proper book review. I did just fine in 11th-grade English, but that’s about the extent of my experience doing book reviews. In fact, I got an A++ on a book report I wrote in the ninth grade on the book Gandhi. Of course, I never really read the book; it was a video book report, and I did a pretty good job of entertaining the class, so that minor detail (never actually reading the book) didn’t stop Mrs. Perkins from showing it to her ninth-grade classes for years thereafter.I’m no “real” writer, nor do I pretend to be. I relate to you as best I can various situations and scenarios that I’ve encountered during my days of playing poker. My vocabulary is nowhere near what it needs to be to be considered a real writer, and that I would be the first to admit. Straight out of high school, I attended one class, “Poker 101,” which was held in my basement with friends, and then later in private clubs around town.Having said all that, I ran into a real writer named Jim McManus, who also happens to play a little poker. Not too long ago, Jim gave my ego a boost by telling me, “You write some good material. Ever thought about writing a book?”At that point, I wasn’t sure if he was just being kind or actually meant what he said, so I replied, “Well, now that you mention it, I’ve considered it, but I’m not sure I’d be capable of handling such a big project. I don’t really know much about writing, and wouldn’t even know where to start.”“Oh, that part is easy, my boy. You can tell a story, and that’s all that matters. Being a good writer is all about getting down on paper what you really feel inside. Small grammatical errors or structural issues can be taken care of by an editor or even a ghostwriter. I’m telling you, people would be very interested to hear what you have to say.”This brought a giant grin to my face, as I was totally soaking up the compliments I’d just received from a real writer. Not too long thereafter, Jim sent me an advance copy of his new book, Positively Fifth Street. It took about two days before Fed Ex arrived at my door with the copy, and I couldn’t wait to read it.Of course, I’ve never been a speed-reader, so I figured the book would sit on the shelf for a while and I’d eventually get to it when I had a chance.However, curiosity got the best of me, and I started reading it immediately. The first chapter grabbed me like a whirlwind, and I just couldn’t stop reading. I had to know what happened next. Jim covers a variety of topics in the book. Now, I don’t want to spoil it for you, but I’ll give you a brief synopsis of the key topics:• The Binion Murder Trial• Women in the 2000 World Series of Poker• Jim’s Adventure in the 2000 World Series of PokerI was reading the book already knowing the outcome of the Binion case, women’s performances in 2000, and Jim’s performance in 2000, yet it all seemed fresh to me, thanks to Jim’s detailed Picasso-like painting of the events. I say Picasso-like because very few writers could capture with such realism what unfolded in that tumultuous year. Written in the spirit of The Biggest Game in Town, Jim takes us on an unbelievable adventure: A writer sent out to follow women’s role in the 2000 WSOP, Jim found himself entrenched in the action, and actually playing in the big one himself! What I found amazing was that despite knowing the outcome of an event, I eagerly read on to find out what happened next.There is actually a ton of poker content in the book, but not so much to make those who don’t understand the nuances of no-limit hold’em feel left out.Now, I’ve read what I think I need to have read about strategy and so on, so a book like this was a welcome change for me. I mean, it really doesn’t get much better than a story about a “long shot” with absolutely no experience at the WSOP risking his whole bankroll on a pipe dream and realizing it.Obviously, the book was especially exciting to me, since I know most of the main characters. Jim takes you through the play of a one-table satellite and the actual tournament, and provides some amusing anecdotes about livin’ the “Vegas Life.” If you’ve ever been to Vegas, you’ll totally identify with Jim’s experience there in 2000 — it’s a fun story. If you are looking for some good nonfiction poker reading, you won’t find anything better than Positively Fifth Street. The poker world is lucky to have an established writer give us all a detailed account of the grueling four-day world championship tournament, coming just a hair away from capturing the title of “World Champion.” Of course, I’m pretty sure Jim felt pretty lucky about the whole ordeal — or did he? You’ll have to read the book to find out!So, now that I’ve completed reading the book, I quite honestly feel a little depressed — not because of Jim’s finish or anything related to the content of the book, but because of the following: Despite Jim’s encouraging words about how “I gots the writing skills,” I learned and understood what separates a real writer from a poker player who writes for kicks. I could never paint a picture like Jim did in Positively Fifth Street. As soon as I finally closed the book and put it down, I realized that I’d better leave the real writing to the real writers! Congratulations, Jim, for writing a poker masterpiece that should be displayed on all poker fans’ bookshelves for years to come.

Nice review - you're a better writer than you give yourself credit for. I read that book a while back and I especially agree with this point of yours:

The poker world is lucky to have an established writer give us all a detailed account of the grueling four-day world championship tournament
Yes we are. I felt like I was playing the tournament right there with him. He is very talented.

Yep I picked this up for a flight to Georgia, I'm about a 1/4 way through it and I don't want to put it down. But alas I need to sav it for my return flight. It helps that I don't remember any of the details of the murder trial. Can't wait to finish it.

I just found out about this book while scanning through my library's website last week and ordered it. Picking it up tomorrow. I was excited about reading it before ..but now that I've read this review and responses I really can't wait.And Daniel, you really are too hard on yourself, you're a great writer. Your style is very real and down to earth. Keep up the great work!

Wow...after reading the review by Daniel, I had to read it again. Alas, my thoughts were the same as the first time I read it. Just did not work for me. It has some good points, and I, as well, am not a professional critic or writer, but I just did not like the way it flowed. The entire novel seemed very disjointed and thrown together. But that's just my thoughts on it...

I bought the audiobook to put on my iPod during my recent trip to Vegas. My intent was to listen on the plane ride in, so I could get excited about Poker. Well, I forgot about it until about an hour into the flight and then I was so tired that even the very good writing couldn't keep me awake.My father-in-law "borrowed" the iPod on the way home so I couldn't listen to it then, either. So I'm about 1/3rd of the way in and DYING to find the time to listen to the rest of it.I can read MUCH faster than I can listen to him reading, but I figured the audio book would be much more convenient.BTW this is the only audiobook I could find ANYWHERE online that had a poker theme. I do like what I've heard so far... and now I just read that the murder convictions were OVERTURNED, so it's topical again...

I just finished the book, and would love to know if "Jimmy" has anything else in the works. I'd love to see his depictions of side games or maybe even another crack at a World Series book.Anyone have any information about his future writing plans?

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished the book. I enjoyed it. I felt I could relate to mcmanus and all his personal flaws. As he was moving along in the tournament, I felt I was playing along with him. I especially liked his illustrations of TJ and Fergusun. They seemed so lifelike. Especiallty TJ. Good book. Big Larry

• 2 weeks later...

i finished the book about a week ago, and it was great!a few chapters get a little boring (ie the whole family history thingy about 2/3 the way thru) but i still loved it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No one's posted here in a while, so I don't know if anyone will see this, but what the hell.I just finished reading Positively Fifth Street and Jim McManus is obviously a very talented writer. I totally enjoyed the read and would recommend it to anyone. Card player or not.I wouldn't feel you'd have to live up to anything like that if you were (are) considering writing your own book Daniel. It's Jim's perspective on the events in the book that make it really great, not just the fancy writing.I'm sure your persepctive on the game would interest people enough to make it do very well also. Of course if it's a strategy book that would be a different thing all together, but I'm not so sure you're ready to give up all your secrets yet.(?) Of course if you are I'd pick that up for sure too.

• 1 month later...
:D This book is what piqued my current obsession with NLHE. I picked up a copy and devoured it while on vacation a couple of years ago and life hasn't been quite the same since...very well written & an incredible story to boot! :club:
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow...after reading the review by Daniel, I had to read it again. Alas, my thoughts were the same as the first time I read it. Just did not work for me. It has some good points, and I, as well, am not a professional critic or writer, but I just did not like the way it flowed. The entire novel seemed very disjointed and thrown together. But that's just my thoughts on it...
I would have to agree. I've only gotten to page thirty but he's breaking many of the rules taught in basic writing courses. Things he probably tells his own students not to do. The subject is interesting enough I've going to read through it but I'm totally unimpressed by his writing skills so far. If it doesn't get any better it'll be a tedious read.Tom
  • 1 month later...

The book was a bit slow for me to get into in the beginning, not sure why, it was just kind of an ackward read in the very beginning I guess, but as the book progresses it unfolds a great story with some very interesting insight, and you begin to get used to his writing style as well...I am not finished with it yet, but enjoying it and should be finished in the next several days....He seems to be well versed and reasearched in the things he discusses, and even goes a bit beyond what is probably called for as far that goes, which I actually enjoy....P.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought the book was a good read.McManus went to the same high school as I did. He even mentioned a good buddy of mine's brother in the book. Talked about his early caddying and poker days. Pretty cool.