• Please log in to reply
11285 replies to this topic

#10941 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Within 90 seconds of polls closing, PC win is declared. Hard to have faith in your fellow man when so many are so goddamn stupid and selfish. Wishing all the best to all my friends there - and Iím just saying, for $275k you could own a 4-bedroom house in my neighbourhood! Walking distance to schools, huge yards, a 30-minute commute (40 by bus), no traffic, and our business-friendly mayor actually produced a budget!
Long signatures are really annoying.

#10942 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 38,766 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

Puke!
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#10943 Fenxis

Fenxis

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 07 June 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

I voted for the NDP for the 1st time in my life today.

Same... at this point I've voted for PC, Lib, NDP, and Green in various elections. Might have to do Libertarian and Marxist-Lenninist down the road to complete the set.
"@sergetoronto Bang-up analysis there" -- James Mirtle

#TradeMelnykNotKarlsson #MelnykOut

#10944 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 38,766 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

I'm gonna run as an independent next election. No platform. 99 cents a beer!
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#10945 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 38,766 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

There may also be a sex tape. Stay tuned!

#10946 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:25 AM

Posted Image
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#10947 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 49,997 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Lot of stuff and places I missed about Toronto. The downtown traffic is something I donít miss. It seems much worse than I remember it. At the risk of pissing people off the bike situation is exponentially worse with the rent a bikes becoming more popular.

Itís a shame as itís a great city but itís become more anti car and it has made traffic worse.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#10948 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 38,766 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Less cars on the road means less traffic, no?

#10949 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,997 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 13 June 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

Less cars on the road means less traffic, no?

Theoretically. But I donít see less cars. People still drive.

#10950 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

Honestly itís insane downtown. I try to avoid it at all times

#10951 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,882 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

I donít understand why anybody would ever drive downtown without a compelling reason. Like, it shouldnít be your default, it should be the odd times you have 5 kids or a big load or whatever. So much easier to bike or transit. No traffic stress, no looping for parking, no parking charges, etc.

If more people thought like that, weíd have a much better city. In theory.

However, the reality of induced demand means that for every little bit of capacity that opens up, someone will likely fill it. So the only way to move more *people* around is get them on more space-efficient modes - cycling, walking, transit, or carpooling. Too many cars and SUVs with one person in them driving around this city.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10952 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

The number of cars on the road is almost certainly going to go down drastically in the next 20-30 years. World class cities should be preparing for that.

#10953 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

I drove downtown on Sunday because my daughter wanted to go to a store. Reason I drove because I donít want to take transit

#10954 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,882 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostDubey, on 13 June 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

The number of cars on the road is almost certainly going to go down drastically in the next 20-30 years. World class cities should be preparing for that.
God willing.

Or weíll **** it up and let everyone own their own driverless cars and double the VKT and flood the streets with empty cars.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10955 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

View PostZach6668, on 13 June 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

God willing.

Or weíll **** it up and let everyone own their own driverless cars and double the VKT and flood the streets with empty cars.

I donít see that happening, but humans are dumb and car companies are powerful and have a pretty big stake in car ownership continuing to be a thing, so who knows.

#10956 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,997 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostZach6668, on 13 June 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

I donít understand why anybody would ever drive downtown without a compelling reason. Like, it shouldnít be your default, it should be the odd times you have 5 kids or a big load or whatever. So much easier to bike or transit. No traffic stress, no looping for parking, no parking charges, etc.

If more people thought like that, weíd have a much better city. In theory.

However, the reality of induced demand means that for every little bit of capacity that opens up, someone will likely fill it. So the only way to move more *people* around is get them on more space-efficient modes - cycling, walking, transit, or carpooling. Too many cars and SUVs with one person in them driving around this city.

Not everyone is 18-35 in good health with no kids. Try taking a six year old around for a couple of days on your utopian bike city. Walk the necessary distance you have to with an elderly person.

If your Toronto doesnít include kids and the elderly then thatís elitist. The highway system in Toronto is so archaic. Letís spend some resources fixing the arteries that get to downtown. Letís fix the mess that is the Gardiner.

I will say though the new streetcars look cool.

#10957 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

Driving in the core of all successful large cities in the World is bad. If you want to drive easily in the core of a city find a small one or one that is failing. That's just the reality.

We have to maintain the highways into the city but increasing capacity wouldn't help anything. Even if the DVP and Gardiner could move more cars there is nowhere for those cars to go when they get into the city. You would only make congestion even worse on other roads.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#10958 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:56 AM

Try driving in Chicago or Washington or Los Angeles. IMO worst than Toronto

#10959 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,619 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

My Lfyt or Uber (cant recall which one) requested pickup in Vegas asked me if I was willing to accept a driverless car.

I'm assuming that was just a poll, and not a reality, right????

#10960 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

View Postserge, on 13 June 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Not everyone is 18-35 in good health with no kids. Try taking a six year old around for a couple of days on your utopian bike city. Walk the necessary distance you have to with an elderly person.

If your Toronto doesnít include kids and the elderly then thatís elitist. The highway system in Toronto is so archaic. Letís spend some resources fixing the arteries that get to downtown. Letís fix the mess that is the Gardiner.

I will say though the new streetcars look cool.

Is it elitist the for a physically capable single person to drive downtown? Wayne drove with his kid who is perfectly capable of using public transit, is he a selfish elite?
Long signatures are really annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users