paul p taking names at the bike. again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul's blog link below - looks like he would have had more chips except for the fact that Jennifer Harman made a monster laydown with aces.http://extempore.livejournal.com/
I myself went against my gut yesterday in a cash game with KK, and knew I should fold, but instead I put the guy all-in. I was right, he had a set. It's not easy to do, even when you know you should.
On a related note, I really enjoy those little pudding snacks. I especially enjoy the ones where they alternate chocolate and vanilla pudding layers. Delicious and filling!!!!
I like to make it at home, so I can get the skin on top. Delicious pudding skin!
Paul's blog link below - looks like he would have had more chips except for the fact that Jennifer Harman made a monster laydown with aces.http://extempore.livejournal.com/
I myself went against my gut yesterday in a cash game with KK, and knew I should fold, but instead I put the guy all-in. I was right, he had a set. It's not easy to do, even when you know you should.
Amen.....that was a hell of a laydown by Jen....no surprise there....thats why shes one of the best in the world(Annie who?????)
On a related note, I really enjoy those little pudding snacks. I especially enjoy the ones where they alternate chocolate and vanilla pudding layers. Delicious and filling!!!!
I like to make it at home, so I can get the skin on top. Delicious pudding skin!
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy pudding skin as much as the next guy. There's just something about a portable cup of pudding that i find irresistable. Also, i am very, very lazy.

there is some talk on paul's blog that he overplayed his hand vs jen? i tend to agree...maybe just calling her raise and trapping her might have been more profitable.?? what do you guys think.?

He probably could have got more out if it but really how many people are gunna be able to lay down aces there? I can say fairly confidently that everyone here would have gone broke in that spot.
i agree to a point, but without the bigreraise from paul, jen is certain to gift him her stack , or at least a good portion of it..imho if he smooth calls her she makes a big bet on the turn then he pushes..she might have been so pot commited that she might have called...i mean im in no position to question pp's play, but its just my opinion he overplayed it a bit
He probably could have got more out if it but really how many people are gunna be able to lay down aces there? I can say fairly confidently that everyone here would have gone broke in that spot.
i agree to a point, but without the bigreraise from paul, jen is certain to gift him her stack , or at least a good portion of it..imho if he smooth calls her she makes a big bet on the turn then he pushes..she might have been so pot commited that she might have called...i mean im in no position to question pp's play, but its just my opinion he overplayed it a bit
Sounds like a fair argument. Like I said though who's gunna put him on a set of tens re raise all in or not? If I'm in that position with aces I instacall and enjoy my walk out. I assume PP thought Jen was doing the same thing. I definetly see your side of it I just don't think that you can call that overplaying when he gets the call 90% of the time.
Sounds like a fair argument. Like I said though who's gunna put him on a set of tens re raise all in or not? If I'm in that position with aces I instacall and enjoy my walk out. I assume PP thought Jen was doing the same thing. I definetly see your side of it I just don't think that you can call that overplaying when he gets the call 90% of the time.
i guess there is no 100% right answer, its a question of playing styles..that being said heres my line of thinking..part of poker is knowing your opponet and adjusting your game as so..paul had to know a player like jen would have sniffed out top set..the only thing i can make of it was that he put her on a smaller set..if he knew she had aa i doubt he pushes there..against a less seasoned player, i agree the raise by pp was a good move...against jen h it was an overplay<imho>...
i wouldn't doubt it if he put her on an overpair and thought she would call.
really?i was thinking he put her on smaller set, i thibk its a great laydown by jen, but one that a player like her can make...i think paul made it easy for her to fold...
Well, most people maybe, but you see this over and over at the higher levels, in a tournament, with a large stack, up against another large stack. A preflop call only of a raise (maybe pocket pair or two over cards).Raise, re-raise, all -in.... as a small stack you would have to call with no question. Having a very sizable stack and risk going broke to what very well could be trips. I'm sure everyone here would go broke who had a small stack. Large stacks, may have laid this down as well.Just a thought.

Guys...the way the hand came down.....makes it not such a hard laydown..Quite easy if you have a brain.Even easier if the T92 flop came with two suits that missed your aces....then it's an elemantary laydown....unless you read your opponent on a total bluff.Jen Harmon played the hand well.....Paul phillips could have maybe called the raise and bet the turn and gotten paid off.He took a chance that she might call with the overpair.I also agree...alot of people go broke there...in that spot...

I can't be bothered to sign up at LJ, so I'll leave comments here instead.I reckon it was a monster laydown by Jen. I think PP could have been paid off had he smooth called, he's sitting there with the nuts afterall, but more importantly I think him showing it was a mistake. She had a read on him and he confirmed it.Anyhoo, well done Paul, good luck!

i have to agree that he overplayed his hand. not that there isn't a valid argument to pushing with his set. i just think he could have priced her in later in the hand to make it way more profitable.

Its freakin hilarious how if you read the "tentacles" on this thread, you'll see many rips regarding Dan Druff.
Phillips is obviously a student of the Smasharoo method.
Word to that.
Guys...the way the hand came down.....makes it not such a hard laydown..Quite easy if you have a brain.Even easier if the T92 flop came with two suits that missed your aces....then it's an elemantary laydown....unless you read your opponent on a total bluff.Jen Harmon played the hand well.....Paul phillips could have maybe called the raise and bet the turn and gotten paid off.He took a chance that she might call with the overpair.I also agree...alot of people go broke there...in that spot...
I'm sorry, but for you to call this an easy laydown is simply ridiculous. In a tournament where every pot is fought over like a woman in Saudi Arabia, calls like this happen extremely often. If you look back to the ladies' event where Harmon DID call with her aces, you'll see what I'm talking about. Making this laydown must have been very difficult, and you have to acknowledge how awesome she is.
Nah, when he calls her raise, she slows WAYYY down on the turn, especially if the board pairs on some other scary card comes. I think the push gets paid off more than the slowplay would.THe board read T92 (do not know suits) PP bets 9K after calling a PFR of 4.5K. What range of hands could he have for the hand to play out this way? JH re-raises 20K to find out. PP pushes. What do you put him on? Only 6 hands make sense; AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99. Out of that range the only hands she loses to are TT and 99. Now, would Paul Phillips push here with top or middle set? Not against Jennifer Harmon with all those chips. You know that is what she is thinking. 9 times out of 10 she would probably call.Now suppose he smooth calls her raise. What range of hands do you put him on now? I promise you I would smell set a whole lot faster with a smooth call than I would with a push. I would check it down at that point unless an ace came.But I suck at poker so what do I know...
I'm sorry, but for you to call this an easy laydown is simply ridiculous. In a tournament where every pot is fought over like a woman in Saudi Arabia, calls like this happen extremely often. If you look back to the ladies' event where Harmon DID call with her aces, you'll see what I'm talking about. Making this laydown must have been very difficult, and you have to acknowledge how awesome she is.
Jen Harmon is a GREAT player...maybe in the top 10 in the world...But YES....it is an easy laydown if the hand came down...Let's say: T :D 9 :D 2 :D And you hold A :) A :club: ...and faced wityh the same situation....and you don't heavily consider folding in that situation....then you are a moron.BTW...people defend their blinds with T9 all the time too......Here are the hands she is apprehensive about: TT, 99, 22, T9, 92, T2.....Now....nobody has mentioned if the board had two of any suit....then I CAN say...that is was an easy laydown.But this was not a monumental laydown by any means....