silly/simple/stupid question?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top three pay and you're in 4th.I push and pray - if BB calls, at least you're isolated and not having to worry about the cooperation play from the other two players. If you win, then you double up and are no longer the short stack.

Top three pay and you're in 4th.I push and pray - if BB calls, at least you're isolated and not having to worry about the cooperation play from the other two players. If you win, then you double up and are no longer the short stack.
This is my gut play, but I don't know if I like it.The problem with it as I see it is that the risk/reward ration isn't very good. Either I take down the blinds or I get called and is likely dominated by Ax or a pocket pair.But,I don't like folding.I don't like calling.I don't like raising 3x bb.I don't like pushing.
If before you acted, he showed you something like 10-9 you should still fold.  If he's got two cards above 7 he should call.  You are one out of the money and don't need to "race" (even as a 3:2 favorite).
But he's in 4th place. Are you suggesting he sits back and waits for Aces? Are you going to refer me to the Gigabet analysis again for my answer?

we need to know more about BB. have you tried completing your SB before when everyone else folded against him? most players will raise from BB when SB tries to limp, but some will let you see the flop, if that's the case, then you should call, see a flop, and reevaluate. is BB tight or loose preflop generally? if he's been fairly tight raise it up to 300. if he calls, i may push all in regardless of the flop. if he reraises, it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not where you're probably going to need an ace if he has a PP, or a 2 if he has an ace. i don't fold here, and i don't push all in here, but that's just me.

But he's in 4th place.  Are you suggesting he sits back and waits for Aces?  Are you going to refer me to the Gigabet analysis again for my answer?
don't play cards play position
Which is exactly why you push here. You will be committing to a hand before one of the big stacks pre-flop 3 out of 4 hands. If the big stacks are any good at all they are avoiding confrontations with each other until the pests are gone. You have to make a stand against at least one of them, and soon, while your stack has any teeth at all. Youve got a HU situation with an A...this is the best chance you have, take it.

Push.You take the blinds you are that much closer to not being the shortstack at the table.You double up, great.You lose, oh well...you're short stack..in 15 hands you're blinding out anyway...chances are this is the best hand you're going to see in the next 15 hands.And you need to act when your stack is more meaningful.If you steal two sets of blinds you won't be the short stack anymore.The only other option here is to limp - but BB may blindly raise you anyway...but, if it works, limping can effectively disguise your ace, and BB won't put you on one when an ace hits the flop.

Push.It's now or ... when?If you fold here, then you are looking for better than A2-s to play. Odds are NOT in your favour that you will see a better hand before you're next in the BB (3 hands from now).You could argue that since you have 11 times the BB, you can sit back and wait for a bigger hand, but keep in mind: 1) You are the short stack on the bubble - are you looking to win or get blinded out in 4th, and maybe third, if ou're lucky. 2) If the blinds do not go up, you have 8 revolutions of the button to find a hand -true. But we all know that the blinds go up much quicker than that in these online sit'n'gos. A more important point is that you have one maybe two rounds left before your stack has no bite left and your all-in gets insta-called (especially with such a large stack sitting to your left).Now is definately your best oppertunity, and as a short stack with no position, I recommend pushing.Cheers,Merby

I'll say it again: this is an easy fold.The only person who's put any money in the pot has 4X your stack.You have a big pair--great double me up, anything else--get the hell out.You want to be pushing UTG at this stage, the current BB will have nothing invested, the big stack will have an SB out there and the BB will be an easy steal from the other guy trying to squeak in the money.You should fold, wait until you are UTG and push with any hand!

I like complete/folding here. (Only if i have reason to believe BB will check behind me). we have the button next hand. Only problem is that we're against two big stacks in the blinds. We have a rather bad position at this table right now. So pushing isn't awful. I just don't like to push in with this here because I'm only getting called by a lot of hands that are crushing me and a few hands that ii'm racing against.

I like complete/folding here. (Only if i have reason to believe BB will check behind me). we have the button next hand. Only problem is that we're against two big stacks in the blinds. We have a rather bad position at this table right now. So pushing isn't awful. I just don't like to push in with this here because I'm only getting called by a lot of hands that are crushing me and a few hands that ii'm racing against.
this is so true. i guess if he wants to risk a race to get a double up, he could complete. if BB checks, he sees the flop cheap, if BB makes a standard raise, he can reraise and race for some chips. who knows BB may even fold the reraise?
I'll say it again: this is an easy fold.The only person who's put any money in the pot has 4X your stack.You have a big pair--great double me up, anything else--get the hell out.You want to be pushing UTG at this stage, the current BB will have nothing invested, the big stack will have an SB out there and the BB will be an easy steal from the other guy trying to squeak in the money.You should fold, wait until you are UTG and push with any hand!
Yes, the only one with money in the pot has 4x your stack, but he's only put in 100 chips. It is not worth it for him to defend that with 25% of his stack without a pair, a solid A or connected paints. Less than 25% of the random hands out there will call, and you are ahead of 25% of the hands that will call.The main benefit of waiting until you are UTG is first in vigorish...and you already have first in vigorish in this hand, with only one player who can call. Next time you are UTG you have 3 players who can call (even the other short stack is in play when you are UTG, because he's not squeezed by the big stacks that have to play before him.)This is your optimal position, you have to play it now.
Yes, the only one with money in the pot has 4x your stack, but he's only put in 100 chips. It is not worth it for him to defend that with 25% of his stack without a pair, a solid A or connected paints. Less than 25% of the random hands out there will call, and you are ahead of 25% of the hands that will call.The main benefit of waiting until you are UTG is first in vigorish...and you already have first in vigorish in this hand, with only one player who can call. Next time you are UTG you have 3 players who can call (even the other short stack is in play when you are UTG, because he's not squeezed by the big stacks that have to play before him.)This is your optimal position, you have to play it now.
Good point. I think my first post was fairly blinded by the cards here. You are right that this is the most advantageous position as being able to steal the blinds.Only thing i would add is that in battle of the blinds, you are likely to get called by a wider range of hands. Even though it's short handed. BB may not call an all in from UTG with something like kj. But against the SB he may be more inclined to call.
with something like kj...
Hell, if I'm BB and I see 87 suited my mouth is watering...
God you are stubborn, and totally wrong on this hand. Even if you are right that 87 suited should have your mouth watering, if you wait till UTG then youve got two potential "87 suiteds" behind you to call, and a real hand from the small stack.Waiting gains nothing, period.
Hell, if I'm BB and I see 87 suited my mouth is watering...
I'm not going that far. 78 i'm really only looking to run a race for a quarter of my stack for only $100 invested already. I do think you get a lot more calls when the SB moves openn raises against the BB though.
Clearly this hand was posted because the SB pushed got called by some crap hand and went out fourth broke.
Most likely, yes. The results don't make it the wrong play though.You have yet to make a cogent argument about what waiting can possibly gain.