http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_ele...008/7721628.stmInteresting stuff. Seems like its almost impossible to close it down but at least they're at trying to do something.Its basically a living contradiction of what America is supposed to stand for, going around the world trying to promote democracy while having this in the bermuda triangle backyard.Any pro Guantanamo Bay people out there? never thought I'd ask that question, but after a few months of this forum, not too surprising.
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow bad taste, bad sarcasm, pointlessness, and revelation of underlying beliefs all in one post
Good job looking deep into the subject before letting personal prejudicies cloud your ability to grasp the issue.

Thank you Obama! THANK YOU! Imprisoning people without any trial whatsoever contradicts the message of democracy that America propagates. Guantanamo Bay epitomises the accuse failures of the Bush regime. How nice that America has an intelligent president at last.

Good job looking deep into the subject before letting personal prejudicies cloud your ability to grasp the issue.
That poster is a hit and run insult artist, who isn't bright enough to articulate their own thoughts or ideas.Go ahead and ignore that troll.
If they close down Gitmo, then we would just shoot these guys in the field.Hardly see the advancement of humanity in that.
wasn't mccain advocating closing gitmo as well?
wasn't mccain advocating closing gitmo as well?
Probably, but for different reasons which I got to give him a pass on.The guys in Gitmo were captured waging war against our troops, they have no formal government to deal with, so the only alternatives were Gitmo, killing them, or giving them to their countries' government, which is the same as killing them in many cases.Gitmo is the most humane thing we could do
Probably, but for different reasons which I got to give him a pass on.The guys in Gitmo were captured waging war against our troops, they have no formal government to deal with, so the only alternatives were Gitmo, killing them, or giving them to their countries' government, which is the same as killing them in many cases.Gitmo is the most humane thing we could do
I'm not arguing against that, just asking if that was true about mccain.
Or, I don't know, putting them in prison for the rest of their lives. But maybe doing it with some sort of trial, or at least some sort of evidence. If there's a reason that they're in jail for years, somebody should be able to hear that reason. Just my opinion.
Or, I don't know, putting them in prison for the rest of their lives. But maybe doing it with some sort of trial, or at least some sort of evidence. If there's a reason that they're in jail for years, somebody should be able to hear that reason. Just my opinion.
I think we all think that on the surface.But what legal rights does a person that hides in a mosque and fires at American soldiers in uniform do we give them?3/5ths rights?full rights?The whole issue is very conveluted, and there is no good answer.But there have been many people released from Gitmo, and someof them have been recaptured bringing arms against our troops.sticky
The whole issue is very conveluted, and there is no good answer.
Indeed.
But there have been many people released from Gitmo, and someof them have been recaptured bringing arms against our troops.
True. Sometimes the price we pay for freedom and justice is high. Sometimes we pay a high price to protect the freedoms and rights of people who would never do the same for us. Sometimes we protect those who hate us and would do all they can to destroy us. That's because we're a great country.
Indeed.True. Sometimes the price we pay for freedom and justice is high. Sometimes we pay a high price to protect the freedoms and rights of people who would never do the same for us. Sometimes we protect those who hate us and would do all they can to destroy us. That's because we're a great country.
tru dat
I think we all think that on the surface.But what legal rights does a person that hides in a mosque and fires at American soldiers in uniform do we give them?3/5ths rights?full rights?The whole issue is very conveluted, and there is no good answer.But there have been many people released from Gitmo, and someof them have been recaptured bringing arms against our troops.sticky
So not only do you think its correct to have it, you also are against releasing people from it.Seriously though, you're all idiots. "American soldiers in uniform " lets get riled up! In uniform. In uniform. So its ok if hes off duty. Theres plenty of innocent people in there. The prison has no watchdog, it should not exist. Especially from a country who is "promoting democracy".
If they close down Gitmo, then we would just shoot these guys in the field.Hardly see the advancement of humanity in that.
wow bad taste, bad sarcasm, pointlessness, and revelation of underlying beliefs all in one post
I don't think it was either bad taste or sarcasm, I think it was a statement of a real event that could happen.

I found out, long ago....It's a long way down to Guantanamo..Guan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh ohGuan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh...Jack be nibble, jack be quick..take a ride on the North Cuba kick...Guan tan a mo, oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh oh..Guan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh....christmas_vacation_small.jpg

I found out, long ago....It's a long way down to Guantanamo..Guan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh ohGuan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh...Jack be nibble, jack be quick..take a ride on the North Cuba kick...Guan tan a mo, oh oh oh, oh oh oh, oh oh oh..Guan tan a mo oh oh oh, oh oh oh....christmas_vacation_small.jpg
Not bad, for your 75th post of the day I would have expected worse. Yes Im bored in work checking post counts.
Not bad, for your 75th post of the day I would have expected worse. Yes Im bored in work checking post counts.
believe me, I could do alot worse at this point. I'm extremely tired, i've slept an hour tonight, and yet I can't get to sleep. Insomnia is the bomb. So I'm only marginally lucid right now.
It ain't no Hanoi Hilton
Annoying liberal in me comment: Yeah, that should be the baseline that we set for America's actions. As long as we're slightly above the worse people in history, then we're doing great, right?Comedian in me comment: I think Motel 6 just found its new slogan.
So not only do you think its correct to have it, you also are against releasing people from it.Seriously though, you're all idiots. "American soldiers in uniform " lets get riled up! In uniform. In uniform. So its ok if hes off duty. Theres plenty of innocent people in there. The prison has no watchdog, it should not exist. Especially from a country who is "promoting democracy".
I'll assume you just don't know.'In uniform' means the Geneva Convention comes into play.The guideline all civilized countries have agreed too in the course of war and the conduct expected.This same Genea Convention says people who don't wear their countries uniform, and conduct hostile acts against soldiers and or civilians, can be shot for this act.Take away the place to send them when captured, and what do you think will happen?Right now the ACLU and others want each person to receive full rights to a trial, which would require the army send the troops that captured them to a court to testify about his conduct and pronounce sentence on them.Now if you were a soldier, and this was the new way we are going to treat the people that shoot at you. Do you really think you are going to try for surrender from them? Or you going to shoot them to save us all the hassle?
Right now the ACLU and others want each person to receive full rights to a trial, which would require the army send the troops that captured them to a court to testify about his conduct and pronounce sentence on them.Now if you were a soldier, and this was the new way we are going to treat the people that shoot at you. Do you really think you are going to try for surrender from them? Or you going to shoot them to save us all the hassle?
So, you're implying that our soldiers are such barbaric animals that they'd rather kill a man than take a deposition later? I don't think that gives them very much credit as human beings.And I don't think that enemy combatants should be given the same rights as American citizens. It should fall somewhere between Gitmo and Law and Order. Obviously battle conditions are very different than a murder scene in New York. But if we capture somebody, is it too much to ask that a soldier involved in the capturing makes a signed statement or some sort of deposition that is available to the public and specifically to the person being held and his lawyers?

No I didn't realise the "in uniform" was a reference to that so apologies for that/ I can't believe you guys spell realise with a z, jezusFirstly, you're acting like all these prisoners were shooting at soldiers and then got brought back to the prison. There many people who are "suspects". They haven't been seen near a dangerous weapon and they are in there. Someone sent a weird email and ended up in there. So lets not put out ultimatums of of we "need this place or they will die anyway"And basically in the rest of your post you seem happy to let the soldier be the judge jury and executioner. With all the nice photos being sent and rape stories we are hearing this sounds like a great idea.Its a prison where no one can interfere and you can be sent there with no convictions. Its horrible and bullshit. Kangaroo court is such a reassuring phrase