Top 5 Baseball Movies.

Mine are:

Field of Dreams

Bull Durham

Bad News Bears

Mr Baseball (That's right, jotos. Mr. Baseball in the top 5)

A League of their Own.

Honorable Mention:

The Sandlot

Bang the Drum Slowly

The Natural

Pride of the Yankees

Eight Men Out

In the history of the cinema, there has never been a baseball movie ever made that is worse than 'average', demonstrating the the baseball movie sub-genre is a P4P movie great.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can safely say that my opinion of Cobalt has not changed as a result of his post that OUTRAGEOUSLY suggested that a Baseball miniseries should be in consideration for an unofficial list of top 5 bas

It's an Asian allegory about their perception of Negroes in professional sports. It stands up.

not to mention little big league and rookie of the year.

I'd ship Sandlot and Eight men out for Field of Dreams and Mr Baseball, but a solid list.

Also, ever seen Ed, with Matt Leblanc and a monkey? Or Major League 2? There are bad baseball movies.

In a side note, my pops was a big field of dreams fan. My grandfather ( who died long before I was born) was a semi pro pitcher back in the old days, pitching the barn stormer circuit, so FoD was particularly salient to him. We actually travelled to the farm that it was filmed at, near Dyersville, Iowa. It was actually filmed over two properties. At the time, they were having some dispute about splitting the tourism money, so part of the outfield was just a corn field.. it was like a regular baseball diamond, center filed and part of right field ( I think) were just cut short into corn field, it was pretty funny. It was like a religious experience going there for my dad

I'd ship Sandlot and Eight men out for Field of Dreams and Mr Baseball, but a solid list.

Also, ever seen Ed, with Matt Leblanc and a monkey? Or Major League 2? There are bad baseball movies.

Major League II only suffered in relation to the first one, "Ed" I have not seen however if its a baseball movie, I'm betting strong its no worse than average.

Angels in the Outfield- new and old- deserves mention as well.

I've been to Field of Dreams, it's worth going.

I was 12 and playing Little League when Bad News Bears came out so it'll always have a special appeal to me

I have a pretty decent movie poster collection, the problem with them is that they're big and there's just never enough room to put many up.

That's one that is non-negotiably in the permanent rotation, between The Breakfast Club and Neverending Story.

My top 5:

HM) Eight Men Out

5) League of Their Own

4) The Sandlot

3) Major League

2) Moneyball

1) Field of Dreams

I liked Major League 2, Angels in the Outfield, AND Fever Pitch.

Edited by brvheart

1. Bull Durham

2. Sandlot

3. Moneyball

4. A League of their own

5. Field of Dreams

I knew I forgot one when I made my list.

Moneyball is #2 for me. Everything else is officially moved down a spot.

The Sandlot

Bull Durham

Moneyball

Major League

The Natural

Honorable mention: Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams

I always watch Mr. Baseball when it's on TV.

I remember liking Bang the Drum Slowly and A League of Their Own, but I haven't seen those in many years.

Sugar was good too, but it's not a highly rewatchable movie like those above.

Did anybody here see the Jackie Robinson movie that came out this year?

I haven't seen The Natural. I've been meaning to, but I just really hate melodramatic 80's movies, and I feel like Robert Redford didn't make anything else in the 80's. It makes me think of Out of Africa, which I also haven't seen for the same reasons.

Of course, this is all based on just assumptions that might be wildly wrong, and only based on the movie posters.

Did anybody here see the Jackie Robinson movie that came out this year?

I did. It's ok. Not enough actual baseball scenes. Felt like a made for TV movie at times

Bull Durham is pretty much the perfect baseball movie.

It is.

My only problem with it is its become the Citizen Cane of baseball movies, where so many people have repeated its status as #1 in the genre for so long now, it being the best baseball movie is accepted as though it were some sort of pretentious douchebag truism.

Is it a great film?

Yes.

Is if the best baseball film ever made?

Maybe. Field of Dreams would have something to say about that, but maybe. It may be.

Does every **** who knows nothing about baseball films start any conversation about baseball films with Bull Durham because critics have been fellating it for a couple decades?

Yes.

Another potential GOAT that actually loses desirability because of hysterical overrating.

I haven't seen The Natural. I've been meaning to, but I just really hate melodramatic 80's movies, and I feel like Robert Redford didn't make anything else in the 80's. It makes me think of Out of Africa, which I also haven't seen for the same reasons.

Of course, this is all based on just assumptions that might be wildly wrong, and only based on the movie posters.

I too hate Robert Redford but it's a very good baseball movie. I wish they would've cast a dozen other actors that were a similar age during that time, but he did a fine job and the screenplay is very strong.