What Books Are You Guys Reading?

I would like to get a book thread going over here. I know Dutch probably has plenty to say on his latest tome. In fact, I heard about the book I am currently reading from his book thread in general a lonnnnng time ago. My current reading book: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas PynchonMy current audiobook: Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (I listen to it while I am eating/walking somewhere, unless I have company)What are you guys reading/what have you read lately? If you feel like it, tell me what it is about and whether it is any good too.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

I just got my shipment from Amazon which included A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Infinite Jest, and Consider the Lobster all purchased after David Foster Wallace's death. Dutch and BigD recommended them to me in the thread Dutch started about his death. I'm starting with A Supposedly... and will try to have that finished within a few days.

As a matter of fact, I'm re-reading Infinite Jest at the moment, as my own personal tribute to the departed author. I'd love to here what you think of supposedly, i think it's completely hilarious...Lady Grey: have you ever read Infinite Jest or any David Foster Wallace? If you like Pynchon, I can't see how it would be possible for you to not love IJ.

Let's see....I just read 9 of the Dresden Files series, reading Sandworms of Dune and Legacy of Ashes currently. Waiting for the next installment of Song of Ice and Fire to come out in paperback.

Waiting for the next installment of Song of Ice and Fire to come out in paperback.
Same here. Next one should be awesome if he is taking so much time on it.I'm into all the fantasy sci/fi stuff also. I'm currently reading Chainfire which is the 10th book in the Sword of Truth series. I really like this series.

Been sick the past week so I re-read Lord of the Barnyard Tristan Egolf, one of my favourites and At Swim Two Birds by Flann O'Brien most likely my favourite book. Haven't found many good English book stores here, Israel, so the old ones and swaps will do.reading The curious incident of the dog in night time by Mark Haddon, a really clever book.Plan on getting infinite jest as soon as I can

Lady Grey: have you ever read Infinite Jest or any David Foster Wallace? If you like Pynchon, I can't see how it would be possible for you to not love IJ.
No, I hadn't heard of him before he died but based on all the recommendations I have seen here I am really interested to try some. I will put that book on my Amazon wishlist for sure.

Going through my Tom Clancy books again. re-read in the last couple months Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Cardinal of the Kremlin and Clear and Present Danger. Can't find the next in the series, The Sum of All Fears, so I'm reading Rainbow Six out of order, although it's basically a standalone. Same with Without Remorse, which I'll probably read next.

No, I hadn't heard of him before he died but based on all the recommendations I have seen here I am really interested to try some. I will put that book on my Amazon wishlist for sure.
Well, I personally gurantee that you'll love Infinite Jest.
I hear they are in the process of adapting that for HBO/BBC.
I've heard that too. I'm torn on the subject. As awesome as it would be to see it brought to life, the storylines and cast of characters could become overly complicated quite easily.
Going through my Tom Clancy books again. re-read in the last couple months Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Cardinal of the Kremlin and Clear and Present Danger. Can't find the next in the series, The Sum of All Fears, so I'm reading Rainbow Six out of order, although it's basically a standalone. Same with Without Remorse, which I'll probably read next.
I enjoyed Rainbow quite a bit, pretty much all the Clarke strories were fun reads. I re-read the The Bear and The Dragon and the Debt of Honor/Executive Orders story arc fairly often as well.

I just finished reading Icons of Evolution last night. I am currently reading The Iliad. I was reading the collective works of Plato and Socrates quoted it all the time so I decided to check it out. Not through the introduction yet so dont know if I will even understand it at all.

An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory, by Peskin and SchroederSpacetime and Geometry, by Sean CarrollGravitation, by Misner, Thorne, and WheelerQuantum Field Theory, by Mandl and ShawQuantum Mechanics: A Modern Development, b7y Leslie Ballentine

Go Dog GoHop on PopGoodnight MoonThe Foot BookThe Goodnight GeckoThese are just some of my nightly reading rotation. How many of you here can say you read between 3-6 books a night? Huh?Didn't think so.

Go Dog GoHop on PopGoodnight MoonThe Foot BookThe Goodnight GeckoThese are just some of my nightly reading rotation. How many of you here can say you read between 3-6 books a night? Huh?Didn't think so.
What, no " There's a monster at the end of this book?"

I've stopped reading fiction, essentially. (Oddly, LG, following the DFW suicide, in a funk, I revisited my Pynchon love, but that's about it. Oh, also, I've developed a somewhat less literary fixation with Tom Robbins, but I'm gay like that.)

An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory, by Peskin and SchroederSpacetime and Geometry, by Sean CarrollGravitation, by Misner, Thorne, and WheelerQuantum Field Theory, by Mandl and ShawQuantum Mechanics: A Modern Development, b7y Leslie Ballentine
Given my limited mathematical/scientific background, would any of these actually be readable?
I've stopped reading fiction, essentially. (Oddly, LG, following the DFW suicide, in a funk, I revisited my Pynchon love, but that's about it. Oh, also, I've developed a somewhat less literary fixation with Tom Robbins, but I'm gay like that.)
I enjoyed his performance in Bull Durham.wait, what?