The Polling Place

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, it would be pretty hard to find another Wang.

Who to engage: http://imgur.com/a/cf5LN   Who to avoid: http://imgur.com/a/gEznR

As a Winner, Wang, that's my instinct. That's why people root against people like me and LeBron.

I would like to see a poll on how many people support the current levels of parole violation punishments or if we should have harsher sentencing guidelines.That and Chicago pizza vs New York vs the rest of the country.Those two things

I would like to see a poll on how many people support the current levels of parole violation punishments or if we should have harsher sentencing guidelines.
Most people don't know what the "sentencing guidelines" are for "parole violation" - so, asking this question in an open and abstract way will almost invariably result in a "YES! MORE!" answer- which is precisely why there are people serving decades in prisons for simple possession of drugs, etc, etc. There's almost always some political capital to be had when crowing for the "MORE AND HARSHER SENTENCING!" method- and we've been servicing that sentiment for 30 years now. As a result, our criminal justice system is such a gigantic failure that it's usually #1 or #2 on the list of "Things the US Does Wrong" as published anywhere outside the US. So, lets break it down:Someone is on parole and commits murder: Don't know what the guidelines are, but life in prison or death are suitable optionsSomeone is on parole and commits robbery: Don't know what the sentencing guidelines are, but this person should probably get hit with a stiff sentenceSomeone is on parole and commits a rape: Adios for a long, long time....Someone is on parole and gets busted with a nickle bag of pot: Who caresSomeone is on parole, gets pulled over for failure to fully stop at a sign, the cop runs their name and sees they're on parole, then immediately starts acting abusive towards them- they tell the cop to **** off, then the cop proceeds to beat the shit out of him and once cuffed, charges them with the usual made-up bullshit- resisting arrest, battery on a law enforcement officer, etc, etc, etc- how about that guy? What do we sentence him to? Because he's a lot more common than the parolee-murder or the parolee-rapist. He just doesn't make the news. Someone is on parole and cannot get a job, no matter how hard they try. After day 37 of hitting the bricks and being turned down everywhere they apply, they're now homeless. On day 72 of repeating the same process with no result, he's starting to get hungry but the shelter is closed that day.... He boosts a 40 of Mickeys and a few hot dogs from 7-11 and gets caught. How about him? What are the 'guideline ranges' for him?Speaking from first hand experience, pound for pound, yes, most people involved in the criminal justice system are scumbags who you wouldn't want as neighbors, so it's easy to just not care how we treat them- what snares we set up to line up with their lower-brow behavior types, to ensure they stay locked up or otherwise 'involved' in the system... But it's still totally wrong.
Maybe this will bring mk back because he was adamant that deep dish never was or is the style of Chicago pizza. I personally disagree.
Pan Pizzas are "Chicago Style Pizza" to people who don't live in Chicago- and just to set the record straight, the pizza seen in the photo is a stuffed pizza, in the deep-dish family. Ask any pizzeria in Chicago what they deliver most to Chicago residents, the answer is thin crust, although I almost always eat pan pizza when I eat pizza.
Pan Pizzas are "Chicago Style Pizza" to people who don't live in Chicago- and just to set the record straight, the pizza seen in the photo is a stuffed pizza, in the deep-dish family. Ask any pizzeria in Chicago what they deliver most to Chicago residents, the answer is thin crust, although I almost always eat pan pizza when I eat pizza.
So if even Chicagoans don't order "Chicago Style Pizza"* doesn't that just mean that even most Chicagoans agree New York Style pizza is superior (even if you order it in Chicago)?* saying that because people from other locations are responsible for the designation makes it false is asinine - you can have the same argument about "chinese" food vs "chinese food" but no one gets all huffy if you say you like chinese food because you like chop suey
So if even Chicagoans don't order "Chicago Style Pizza"* doesn't that just mean that even most Chicagoans agree New York Style pizza is superior (even if you order it in Chicago)?* saying that because people from other locations are responsible for the designation makes it false is asinine - you can have the same argument about "chinese" food vs "chinese food" but no one gets all huffy if you say you like chinese food because you like chop suey
Don't worry. Sometimes, I hate logic too."Chicago Style Pizza" as classified by people not from Chicago is usually pan pizza- chiefly because that's how pan pizza gets marketed in ad campaigns whenever national chain pizzerias do a pan pizza product run- in spite of the fact that Chicago has a native thin-crust pizza that is more likely to be eaten by people who actually live in Chicago.Chicago Style Thin Crust is more accurately characterized as "Chicago Style Pizza" since pound for pound, more Chicagoans in Chicago eat that type of pizza over the pan pizza, which has come to be termed "Chicago Style Pizza" by people not from Chicago- and not because it *is* Chicago style pizza, but because they watch a lot of TV and TV says it is. It's one of those falsehoods that has been accepted as fact by a larger group of people than those who actually know the truth.
Most people don't know what the "sentencing guidelines" are for "parole violation" - so, asking this question in an open and abstract way will almost invariably result in a "YES! MORE!" answer- which is precisely why there are people serving decades in prisons for simple possession of drugs, etc, etc. There's almost always some political capital to be had when crowing for the "MORE AND HARSHER SENTENCING!" method- and we've been servicing that sentiment for 30 years now. As a result, our criminal justice system is such a gigantic failure that it's usually #1 or #2 on the list of "Things the US Does Wrong" as published anywhere outside the US. So, lets break it down:Someone is on parole and commits murder: Don't know what the guidelines are, but life in prison or death are suitable optionsSomeone is on parole and commits robbery: Don't know what the sentencing guidelines are, but this person should probably get hit with a stiff sentenceSomeone is on parole and commits a rape: Adios for a long, long time....Someone is on parole and gets busted with a nickle bag of pot: Who caresSomeone is on parole, gets pulled over for failure to fully stop at a sign, the cop runs their name and sees they're on parole, then immediately starts acting abusive towards them- they tell the cop to **** off, then the cop proceeds to beat the shit out of him and once cuffed, charges them with the usual made-up bullshit- resisting arrest, battery on a law enforcement officer, etc, etc, etc- how about that guy? What do we sentence him to? Because he's a lot more common than the parolee-murder or the parolee-rapist. He just doesn't make the news. Someone is on parole and cannot get a job, no matter how hard they try. After day 37 of hitting the bricks and being turned down everywhere they apply, they're now homeless. On day 72 of repeating the same process with no result, he's starting to get hungry but the shelter is closed that day.... He boosts a 40 of Mickeys and a few hot dogs from 7-11 and gets caught. How about him? What are the 'guideline ranges' for him?Speaking from first hand experience, pound for pound, yes, most people involved in the criminal justice system are scumbags who you wouldn't want as neighbors, so it's easy to just not care how we treat them- what snares we set up to line up with their lower-brow behavior types, to ensure they stay locked up or otherwise 'involved' in the system... But it's still totally wrong.
and World Peace
"Chicago Style Pizza" as classified by people not from Chicago is usually pan pizza- chiefly because that's how pan pizza gets marketed in ad campaigns whenever national chain pizzerias do a pan pizza product run- in spite of the fact that Chicago has a native thin-crust pizza that is more likely to be eaten by people who actually live in Chicago.
But isn't it marketed that way because the deep dish style was created in Chicago? I don't see how the native preferred pizza style has anything to do with it.
Chicago Style Thin Crust is more accurately characterized as "Chicago Style Pizza" since pound for pound, more Chicagoans in Chicago eat that type of pizza over the pan pizza, which has come to be termed "Chicago Style Pizza" by people not from Chicago- and not because it *is* Chicago style pizza, but because they watch a lot of TV and TV says it is. It's one of those falsehoods that has been accepted as fact by a larger group of people than those who actually know the truth.
Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?There was just no way this discussion wasn't going to be had once BG brought it up.And I think he knew this.
Don't worry. Sometimes, I hate logic too."Chicago Style Pizza" as classified by people not from Chicago is usually pan pizza- chiefly because that's how pan pizza gets marketed in ad campaigns whenever national chain pizzerias do a pan pizza product run- in spite of the fact that Chicago has a native thin-crust pizza that is more likely to be eaten by people who actually live in Chicago.Chicago Style Thin Crust is more accurately characterized as "Chicago Style Pizza" since pound for pound, more Chicagoans in Chicago eat that type of pizza over the pan pizza, which has come to be termed "Chicago Style Pizza" by people not from Chicago- and not because it *is* Chicago style pizza, but because they watch a lot of TV and TV says it is. It's one of those falsehoods that has been accepted as fact by a larger group of people than those who actually know the truth.
What makes "Chicago Style" thin crust pizza unique ? The reason that most people think that deep dish is Chicago style pizza is that it's different than what most people in most places eat and is more available in Chicago than it is in other places.Just because more people eat thin crust pizza in Chicago doesn't really make thin crust "Chicago Style" does it ?
But isn't it marketed that way because the deep dish style was created in Chicago? I don't see how the native preferred pizza style has anything to do with it.Is Chicago Style Thin Crust different than every other thin crust style?There was just no way this discussion wasn't going to be had once BG brought it up.And I think he knew this.
What makes "Chicago Style" thin crust pizza unique ? The reason that most people think that deep dish is Chicago style pizza is that it's different than what most people in most places eat and is more available in Chicago than it is in other places.Just because more people eat thin crust pizza in Chicago doesn't really make thin crust "Chicago Style" does it ?
You being faster is one of the reasons why you're KOOT and I was drubbed in the first round.