Is Online Poker Over?

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is online poker over in the US?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Yes, but only for a while

All the small sites seem to be pulling out. Paradise left just after saying it would continue serving US customers. Are sites like Pokerstars and Full Tilt also going to leave? Is this the end of online poker in the US?

no:the small sites were treading water anyway. If big sites like Stars, UB, Bodog, and FullTilt are steadfast through this, online poker is not done...the choices of where to play it will just be smaller.

Not at all. I'm not entirely sure what the bill details, but I don't think it makes online poker 100% illegal. It just creates some obstacles, e.g. no credit card deposits. Regardless, there's such a high demand for online poker that there is no way you could wipe it out in the U.S. simply by making it illegal. Hey, news flash, downloading music on the internet without the artists consent is illegal....and movies....and almost everything else. Hmmm, look at the trends, people want something, the internet is there, big deal.I suspect a couple examples will be made out of online players, but realistically there is no danger in continuing to play online poker in the U.S.Anyway, join the online poker alliance http://www.pokerplayersalliance.org/It's $20 to join and is hugely important to protecting poker players rights.

no:the small sites were treading water anyway. If big sites like Stars, UB, Bodog, and FullTilt are steadfast through this, online poker is not done...the choices of where to play it will just be smaller.
if i had the money i would be buying all the Party shares i could right now...increased revenue is going to offset any short term "skyisfallingism"EDIT: i did just see that Party was pulling out, gimmie 6 weeks and then start to buy :club: maybe
if i had the money i would be buying all the Party shares i could right now...increased revenue is going to offset any short term "skyisfallingism"
Last I heard, the stock has "only" fallen 60%. Considering 80% of party's customers are from the U.S. it probably has some more to fall before it goes back up.
and the methods of transferring money......curse you firepay !
Last I heard, the stock has "only" fallen 60%. Considering 80% of party's customers are from the U.S. it probably has some more to fall before it goes back up.
ya, I really believe that this law has a chance to be shot down if someone or an alliance takes it all the way, atleast for the poker part of it. There is a school in Ontario if i'm not mistaken trying to develop software to keep youngins out. In theory it would be great, probably multiple years to get it up and running.It to will go back up..for anyone who knows the Canadian market, can tell if Nortel can make it back from almost being delisted to 10$ a share then something as fun as gambling can too!
There is a school in Ontario if i'm not mistaken trying to develop software to keep youngins out. In theory it would be great, probably multiple years to get it up and running.
It better take at least two years although it seems like something like that would be easy enough to bypass.

I just feel that sites like Party, Pacific and others are making a mistake. The bill only bans transfer of money directly from a US based institution to an online gambling company. There are ways around this, mainly NETeller, and I'm sure a few more options will present themselves as soon as the bill passes.

Not over by a long shot but it will be changed. Just the simple fact that the largest site has exited the US market makes that obvious. Plus I expect many of the smaller sites to go away - even those that haven't yet - and we'll end up with 3 or 4 sites accessable to the US players that get any sort of traffic. I wouldn't be surprised to see some acquisitions in 6 months or a year - FT, UB would be prime candidates.