Betting And Raising The Limit !

if this blog has something todo with ram playing golf with phil and ram losing 900k during Aussie millions at capital golf course.I talked with Ram that evening after it happened ~ it was the same day (jan 13th) that erik won a 400k pot with AQ in the side game.Ram's issue is that Phil's partner was/is a semi pro.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if this blog has something todo with ram playing golf with phil and ram losing 900k during Aussie millions at capital golf course.I talked with Ram that evening after it happened ~ it was the same day (jan 13th) that erik won a 400k pot with AQ in the side game.Ram's issue is that Phil's partner was/is a semi pro.
marc goodwin wrote an article on his side of the story a couple of months ago on blondepoker.comon the blondepoker home page scroll down and go to news archives his article is on page 9 under the heading "ivey the hustler?"

there is a little more to it then what is being reported !i talked to Ram maybe 5 hours after golfing with Phil and lets just say it doesnt look good on phil

there is a little more to it then what is being reported !i talked to Ram maybe 5 hours after golfing with Phil and lets just say it doesnt look good on phil
Of course Ram's side doesn't make Phil look good. As I'm sure Phil's side of the story doesn't make Ram look good. I forget all the details of this and don't feel like rereading things but if I remember correctly most if not all the participants were upset after the front nine but still continued on or came back later and played the back nine at the same stakes. If they felt they were being hustled than why play the back nine? Why not leave? It sounds like the were upset but were to stuborn and felt they could "get even". If you are being hustled and feel strongly as though this is the case you stop the competition right there, you don't continue on with the intent to either get lucky or refuse to settle your debt.
So, it appears that all of the players are Phil Ivey, his partner (any guesses?) vs Ram Vaswani (Mar Wasvani) and (Clark Badmin). My guess for Clark's real name is Ross Boatman. This makes sense since both Ross and Ram are both Hendon Mob & Full Tilt guys. Pretty pathetic that they haven't paid. If you agree to make a bet and lose you have nobody to blame but yourself even if you were hustled. Use it as a lesson to never let it happen again. Back in Doyle's earlier days those two would be pushing up daisy's by now. I hope the gambling community ostracizes them from future bets until they settle up.
(Clark Badmin). My guess for Clark's real name is Ross Boatman. This makes sense since both Ross and Ram are both Hendon Mob & Full Tilt guys.
Clark Badmin is Marc Goodwin.

Well this is clearly an issue where none of us, and I mean NON, can really tell who's right or wrong, we weren't there and no one except the guys on the course will probably know exactly what happened.

Clark Badmin is Marc Goodwin.
:club: Yeah that makes way too much sense now that I look at it. My educated guess was pretty bad except for maybe the Hendon Mob connection.
:club: Yeah that makes way too much sense now that I look at it. My educated guess was pretty bad except for maybe the Hendon Mob connection.
lol well i did say heres "marc goodwins" responce

Ok, so they claim they shouldn't have given Phil 10 shots, but they lost 14 holes. So does this mean, being men of honour, they have paid up for the 4 holes they feel they should have lost by and are just haggling over the rest?In my experience Phil was asking for trouble gambling with a Double glazing salesman from the West Midlands.....

Ok, so they claim they shouldn't have given Phil 10 shots, but they lost 14 holes. So does this mean, being men of honour, they have paid up for the 4 holes they feel they should have lost by and are just haggling over the rest?In my experience Phil was asking for trouble gambling with a Double glazing salesman from the West Midlands.....
from what i know ram and marc have been mates with phil for yrs - playing golf all over the world together for big money. wasnt just a one off where he bimped into a an ex double glazing salesman on the course and they had a round

You got me again Daniel. I thought to myself I had know idea Daniel could become such a douchebag welching on a bet he agreed on. Those guys should have walked off the course as soon as they got to the point where they couldnt afford to pay instead of burying themselves deeper. In gambling your word is your credit and these guys are bankrupt. Even if they pay a portion of what they owe they should never be trusted again.

You got me again Daniel. I thought to myself I had know idea Daniel could become such a douchebag welching on a bet he agreed on. Those guys should have walked off the course as soon as they got to the point where they couldnt afford to pay instead of burying themselves deeper. In gambling your word is your credit and these guys are bankrupt. Even if they pay a portion of what they owe they should never be trusted again.
I agree, and I think this why we'll see them either make the full payment or nothing (I'd bet on nothing). Although I'd think 1.8M is the type of money 'someone' might consider sending a collector over.
I agree, and I think this why we'll see them either make the full payment or nothing (I'd bet on nothing). Although I'd think 1.8M is the type of money 'someone' might consider sending a collector over.
these guys have money both are multi millionaires made from poker and sports betting. they have the money they just chose not to pay it for resons stated in the article that marc goowin wrote. although id say theres abit more too it than both sides have said. everything will be settled one way or another when they all meet up for the $25k tourney at the bellagio this month

I think based on what Goodwin wrote in that article, anyone who claims they owe Ivey ANYTHING is being ridiculous. Lying about your handicap destroys any previous agreements they had, and the fact that they chose to continue the game despite losing badly (probably to gain even) is not a reason for them to pay. They were under the impression at the time that something was fishy but they still didnt know the Lindgren doesn't give any shots to Ivey. Seeing as Goodwin is the only real part involved in this incident to speak out and share their version of events, I think he is the one we should believe now and that him and Vaswani owe Ivey nothing.There's a difference between hustling or angleshooting and actually LYING. Ivey crossed the line assuming Goodwin's account is accurate.

That was not his issue.
I think based on what Goodwin wrote in that article, anyone who claims they owe Ivey ANYTHING is being ridiculous. Lying about your handicap destroys any previous agreements they had, and the fact that they chose to continue the game despite losing badly (probably to gain even) is not a reason for them to pay. They were under the impression at the time that something was fishy but they still didnt know the Lindgren doesn't give any shots to Ivey. Seeing as Goodwin is the only real part involved in this incident to speak out and share their version of events, I think he is the one we should believe now and that him and Vaswani owe Ivey nothing.There's a difference between hustling or angleshooting and actually LYING. Ivey crossed the line assuming Goodwin's account is accurate.
There is a huge difference between sandbagging and being a sandbagger. One is completely acceptable in the poker world the other is completely frowned upon in the golfing world. I doubt that Ivey would stoop that low on the golf course but hey I don't know the guy and have to rely on all the incredibly positive things other pro's say about him. If he was being a sandbagger then I wouldn't pay him either BUT....1) People can have 'the round of their life" on any given day2) If they are used to playing him and saw that he was playing better than normal, why keep playing and betting?If #2 is accurate then I still say they don't have a case against not paying off the bet.
Its funny, because i don't ever see Phil or more importantly Erik, making any public comments about this situation. So i'm thinking this is just gonna go in circles until it dies.
There is a huge difference between sandbagging and being a sandbagger. One is completely acceptable in the poker world the other is completely frowned upon in the golfing world. I doubt that Ivey would stoop that low on the golf course but hey I don't know the guy and have to rely on all the incredibly positive things other pro's say about him. If he was being a sandbagger then I wouldn't pay him either BUT....1) People can have 'the round of their life" on any given day2) If they are used to playing him and saw that he was playing better than normal, why keep playing and betting?If #2 is accurate then I still say they don't have a case against not paying off the bet.
thing is, even DN has posted that Ivey's game has improved a ton. by not telling them his real handicap to gain an edge is pretty low class.
thing is, even DN has posted that Ivey's game has improved a ton. by not telling them his real handicap to gain an edge is pretty low class.
If you spend 3 months practicing and recieving the finest coaching - BUT DO NOT PLAY AN ACTUAL ROUND OF GOLF - your handicap remains the same. His "real" handicap would have been his handicap BEFORE he improved, with absolutely no way to get a new one without logging many more rounds. He only has the handicap, or the "strokes given" from any matches played previus to his improvement.

If you agree to a bet, even if you decide better of it later BUT keep playing, you only have yourself to blame for not speaking up sooner. And it's on you to make good or risk permanent reputation damage. Gonna be interesting to see how this one plays out

Even if Ivey lied, which is not the case at all, you could call him a scumbag, call him a hustler, call him whatever... but you'd still owe the money. Plain and simple. Ivey didn't lie though, not at all. At the time they played their match Lindgren did give him 10 shots. After that match, Ivey improved so much that he beat Erick repeatedly, so Ivey "threw him a bone" and played him a round even. This was AFTER the match with those two!

One other thing: Phil told me they played terrible, well below their average. They didn't make even one 10 foot putt, and Phil was winning holes with 6's and 7's. When you play worse than your average and the other guy putts like a machine, you are supposed to lose.