How Would You Play Pocket 22 Here ?

Blinds are 2000/1000 500 ante 20min rounds I am in HJ+1 9 handed it folds around to me and I raise 5500 get called only by BB I have 45,000 and BB has me covered just by a couple thousand.

Board Kh 8h 3d 7h 9s

Flop - BB checked in the dark I checked (check dark frooze me)

Turn - BB leads out for 7,000 I call

River - check check showdown

BB = Q9 rivers 9 to scope pot

I am pretty sure I played this hand bad just looking for some insight for the best line to take. This player was the type to defend his BB and it messed with his ego when you raise him very emotional player he was on the loose side but nothing to the extreme and the same with his aggressiveness thanks for any help!!

It's not terrible all around. I default to betting flop because its a very uncoordinated board so he likely won't be floating due to stack sizes.

As played, though, calling turn and checking river is fine once you have checked the flop. I'm firing that flop a LOT though.

KJ9hh I'm prob checking.

KQ7hh I'm probably still checking but it's closer.

K83hh fire away.

Also, with your stack sizes, you can probably get away with raising less. If blinds call you liberally when you do that, then punish them postflop since they will be put in tougher spots.

A raise to say 4400-4700 accomplishes the same thing preflop as 5500 (as evident by him calling with Q9) and it gives you WAY more maneuverability postflop since your stack:pot ratio increases.

Fargo's got a good post,

first... I think your raise is too large pre and you could save some chips preflop, which lets you cbet a little cheaper to find out where you are...

second... absolutely fire the flop 100% on a check dark... unless you have KK lol

imo, once you don't cbet the flop, I shut down on the turn... I don't see much value in calling that turn... especially with 3 hearts on it. I let him take the pot...

So in light of all that I also suggest thinking ahead in this spot... if I'm not gonna cbet with a hand like 2's then I'm probably going to take it out of my preflop raising range...

With around 15bb I would probably of gone with the jam pre and just collect the 7,500 chips that are out there. Even if the big blind is a loose player your beating quite alot of his range.

The other option i like is just limp in late position and then take advantage of your position post flop by betting on any uncoordinated boards.

The problem you have with raising pre when the effective stacks being so short is that players will just start re jamming you and your forced to a decision and you may just have to give up that 5500. Do that a couple times and next thing you know you have 5-6bb left.

In saying that i think the line you took pre flop is fine but i think the raise is abit big id probably just go with a min raise or a 2.5x raise.

You defiantly need to fire that c bet on the flop. when players check dark usually is a sign of weakness.

On the turn i am probably folding, after checking back that flop i am not representing much and after he bets that turn our pocket 2s are basically a bluff catcher especially if we call the turn and then he decides to go for thin value on the river.

Because our stack being so short id just save that extra couple bbs for a better spot.

Hope that helps :)

With around 15bb I would probably of gone with the jam pre and just collect the 7,500 chips that are out there. Even if the big blind is a loose player your beating quite alot of his range.

The other option i like is just limp in late position and then take advantage of your position post flop by betting on any uncoordinated boards.

The problem you have with raising pre when the effective stacks being so short is that players will just start re jamming you and your forced to a decision and you may just have to give up that 5500. Do that a couple times and next thing you know you have 5-6bb left.

In saying that i think the line you took pre flop is fine but i think the raise is abit big id probably just go with a min raise or a 2.5x raise.

You defiantly need to fire that c bet on the flop. when players check dark usually is a sign of weakness.

On the turn i am probably folding, after checking back that flop i am not representing much and after he bets that turn our pocket 2s are basically a bluff catcher especially if we call the turn and then he decides to go for thin value on the river.

Because our stack being so short id just save that extra couple bbs for a better spot.

Hope that helps :)

1. He has 22.5BB not 15BB

2. For the bolded....NONONONONO. Do NOT limp. That is just awful awful awful. Now you are going to see 3 overcards come every time unless you flop a set. Just no. Your best chance is to take it down pre, and if they DO call, you are still in position with it being relatively cheap.

3. For underlined, yes it likely means they don't have a strong hand, but flop texture is VERY important to consider. Just because they check dark and flop comes JT9 doesn't mean you should bet it because you are being crushed by a lot of dark-check hands.

Just no.

• 1 month later...

2 Options for ya.

1) Preflop fold. Unless you hit your set, you will be lost on the turn and river. Your implied odds with only 22 BB.

2) Play aggresively. I like your preflop raise size, but with 2 H's on the flop you must bet 75- 100% of pot. If he calls you are check folding rest of hand unless of course another 2 shows up.

• 1 month later...

I just ignore players when they "check dark". It's meaningless, and I'm pretty sure most players just do this because they like to hear themselves talk. It's standard for blind defenders to check to the raiser, so what does it change? The best thing to do is just ignore the statment and play the hand as you normally would have.