Blog Post About Dn's Br, $1 Million Loss!

Ahem... here goes..."OMG DN's BR cant stand a million dollar loss and he is playing 4k-8k?? How much do you think his BR is? See, I have NO CLUE how to use the search function to see if there are already gachillion threads about this, nor do I even realize that there is a seperate forum for his blog posts!"I think I just saved us 10 new threads by posting this one...Sorry it had to be done. That is all.

Ahem... here goes..."OMG DN's BR cant stand a million dollar loss and he is playing 4k-8k?? How much do you think his BR is? See, I have NO CLUE how to use the search function to see if there are already gachillion threads about this, nor do I even realize that there is a seperate forum for his blog posts!"I think I just saved us 10 new threads by posting this one...Sorry it had to be done. That is all.
It really didn't. That is all.

i think players in the big game have diffrent br management then us commoners. DN has said in the past that most big game players are sitting with close to all of there liquid assets on the table. pretty sick but it takes a sick person to play those stakes.

i think players in the big game have diffrent br management then us commoners. DN has said in the past that most big game players are sitting with close to all of there liquid assets on the table. pretty sick but it takes a sick person to play those stakes.
Hook, line and sinker

To me a night where a poker players loses 100+ BB is beyond excusable. He must not have had good discipline. I think this goes to show many that it may be DN's ego causes him to play that big. from what he has reported on the forum he is a big winner in the 1k/2k game. There should be no shame in playing those stakes. those are still unfathomable to myself. But whatevk who knows his income besides poker playing? I wouldnt be surprised if he has tons of residuals.

To me a night where a poker players loses 100+ BB is beyond excusable. He must not have had good discipline. I think this goes to show many that it may be DN's ego causes him to play that big. from what he has reported on the forum he is a big winner in the 1k/2k game. There should be no shame in playing those stakes. those are still unfathomable to myself. But whatevk who knows his income besides poker playing? I wouldnt be surprised if he has tons of residuals.
Half the night we were playing PLO with a $150,000 cap. Do you realize how big that game is? Caps happen rather often, and if lose five hands that would equal $750,000. It's not that many bets when you look at it correctly.
Half the night we were playing PLO with a $150,000 cap. Do you realize how big that game is? Caps happen rather often, and if lose five hands that would equal $750,000. It's not that many bets when you look at it correctly.
Ahh what do you know! Stick to golf us 27 hcp'er need to stay on the course!
Ahem... here goes..."OMG DN's BR cant stand a million dollar loss and he is playing 4k-8k?? How much do you think his BR is?
Prior to that night he said he had won over half a million. Confidence is a big factor and taking a break won't hurt. His bankroll can certainly stand a million dollar loss but I do believe that 1mill is the most he's ever lost in one session.I remember reading about how Mike Sexton last year said that DN will probably have to stop on the heads up matches if he's down about 4-5 matches (2-2.5million)He's admitting that he doesn't want to go broke and taking some time off from the big game. Wise decision.

If he was up 1.6 in the big game before that night, and he lost "a little over $1M", then he's still in the positive, and was playing the big game before that. I can't understand how this was bad enough to make him drop down in limits.

I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion of Daniel's "annoncement" that he will not be playing in the big game in the near future. I would have thought such a statement would lead to all kinds of comments.I respect him for being honest with himself -- and with us -- about the need to step back a little, rebuild his bankroll, etc. He seems to be setting a good example to the blog readers by acting responsibly and sensibly. Some people don't have the discipline and good sense to do that. Their egos keep them at their version of the "big game" and, I suspect, keep them sitting at that table until they go broke.Someone had to say it ... So, I thought it would be me this time. (And no, I am not just sucking up. It needed to be said.) :club:

In High Limit Poker, you will find that most pros do not keep that much money behind them as a Playing Bankroll, the reason being that the money sitting behind them as supposed bankroll can be used to invest in real estate, investments and other business ventures instead of sitting in a bank account not accumulating much interest. Because of this, often times pro's will keep maybe 100 or so Big Bets in their playing bankroll and borrow if they happen to bust. Pros will go cash short from time to time, but usually they're still fine overall when you add up all their assets.

Do you play every hand in the big game too?
Come on Daniel you must have went in with the worst of it overe half the time..right

I would presume DN would not play for stakes he could not afford to lose. I suspect he would probably not like or afford to make a habit of $1 million losses. That's big money for pretty much everybody. I suspect he won't retreat, he'll reload.

1 million is alot in one session, but i think that his br can handle it. I mean, you never know how much he really has and it could be much much much more than we think or even less than we think. You just dont know. I certainly dont know how it works at those limits. For example, i have a buddy who's bankroll is around 200k and only plays 30/60 limit and 4/8 no limit. And then i have another buddy who's bankroll is around 10k or so and he plays 1000max buy in no limit.I think it varies by the player how they manage their bankroll. I assume that daniel has plenty to cover the million dollar loss, just b/c of his reaction on the vblog, but when i see shaun skekian losing 100k on high stakes poker on GSN it seems like he is playing above his bankroll when he plays on that show.I dont know, i am just speculating.

From Daniel's Blog -

As for the big game, I probably won't be playing in the game any time soon. In my last play, before the main event at the WSOP, I lost over a million in one play, and that took up a significant part of my playing bankroll. I have no plans of going broke any time soon, and it's not all that hard to lose a couple million straight playing at those stakes.
I recently saw a show on TV about Stuey "The Kid" Ungar. Despite winning millions at Poker Stuey ended up dying in a cheap motel with something like $800 to his name. Mike Sexton, evidently a friend of Stuey's, commented at the end of the show something to the effect of, 'The goal of a professional poker player is to build his bankroll so he can provide for his family. Stuey never seemed to understand that idea.'It looks like Daniel "Kidpoker" Negreanu does.PairTheBoard :club:

Is this how players in the big game actually make a living? Just passing around each other's cash until one of them loses enough that s/he's forced to drop out and reload against lesser players?Wouldn't it make more sense just to stay at a level where they could consistently win? Or is this more about the action than pure economics.

My other question is why would everyone agree to playing PLO half the time just because Farha is in town and that's what he likes to play? By all accounts, the guy is a sick PLO player, especially short-handed. Do they feel they have such an edge over him in other games (and because he gives so much action, they think that's an equalizier) , or does everyone think he/she has an edge over everyone other than Farha in PLO?

My other question is why would everyone agree to playing PLO half the time just because Farha is in town and that's what he likes to play? By all accounts, the guy is a sick PLO player, especially short-handed. Do they feel they have such an edge over him in other games (and because he gives so much action, they think that's an equalizier) , or does everyone think he/she has an edge over everyone other than Farha in PLO?
Sammy is a good guy to play with, regardless of the game. When he comes to town, whatever he says goes pretty much...
I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion of Daniel's "annoncement" that he will not be playing in the big game in the near future. I would have thought such a statement would lead to all kinds of comments.I respect him for being honest with himself -- and with us -- about the need to step back a little, rebuild his bankroll, etc. He seems to be setting a good example to the blog readers by acting responsibly and sensibly. Some people don't have the discipline and good sense to do that. Their egos keep them at their version of the "big game" and, I suspect, keep them sitting at that table until they go broke.Someone had to say it ... So, I thought it would be me this time. (And no, I am not just sucking up. It needed to be said.) :club:
When and where did these statements take place??? I never heard this. Was this on the VLOG? I dont remember it. Also, I wonder why his $1MM loss isn't reflected in his "2006 cash game results"?