How it started:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z-kzE1eHls&fmt=18Joaquin on Letterman last night:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpYk7WGN5Y&fmt=18(the complete interview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAQ4x7rgS6I&fmt=18 )Some people are saying this is all an act for a mockumentary he's doing, others maintain he's always had a substance abuse problem and this is just him losing his mind.I've always thought he's a bit eccentric, but this seems like it's a little too over the top to be real.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was awesome. My vote is Andy Kaufman. He obviously doesn't care about his career. (not that something like this would hurt such an amazing actor) So now is the perfect time to have some fun with people.

100 percent Kaufman, and I fcking love it. Absolutely love it. Hollywood takes itself so seriously, and so many people are taking him at face value, it's killing me. I've never been a big Joaquin Phoenix fan before this, but his appearance on Letterman has just sealed the deal for me. He's a genius

100 percent Kaufman, and I fcking love it. Absolutely love it. Hollywood takes itself so seriously, and so many people are taking him at face value, it's killing me. I've never been a big Joaquin Phoenix fan before this, but his appearance on Letterman has just sealed the deal for me. He's a genius
I've always liked him and for some reason I love it whether it's real or not.

I think he's got issues but is probably playing it up cause he's enjoying it. Call it fake, call it real, whatever... I think he's just tired of the whole hollywood scene but at the same time is enjoying everyones reactions.

I would think this is genius except for the fact that he grew up in a sex cult, and the people that have come out of that are insane to at least some degree. They also tend to manifest that pain in creative ways such as music. So I would believe anything when it comes to Joaquin Phoenix.

I would think this is genius except for the fact that he grew up in a sex cult, and the people that have come out of that are insane to at least some degree. They also tend to manifest that pain in creative ways such as music. So I would believe anything when it comes to Joaquin Phoenix.
Some people are just born lucky.
Okay, him being a genius, him being insane, and this being a joke aren't all mutally exclusive. Andy Kaufman was bat shit crazy, but also a genius.
Okay, him being a genius, him being insane, and this being a joke aren't all mutally exclusive. Andy Kaufman was bat shit crazy, but also a genius.
I agree, just saying that if he's serious it wouldn't surprise me at all b/c he is crazy. Definitely could be genius, b/c if he is joking it is genius, in addition to being crazy. I don't know if I said what I wanted. Oh well.

I'm sure its a level but I wouldn't bet my house on it.I don't get to see Letterman an often lot but it seems like a tightly run ship. I doubt if he was serious he would have ever been let on.

I'm sure its a level but I wouldn't bet my house on it.I don't get to see Letterman an often lot but it seems like a tightly run ship. I doubt if he was serious he would have ever been let on.
They preinterview just about everyonealthough train wrecks are always good for ratingsplus he seems like he can turn it on and off - he still makes his movies successfullyI'm betting that after 30 years he's sick of acting and was committed to do one last promo job for this movie - and did it half heartedlyHe may be serious about the hip hop thing and all this just amps up the curiousityNevertheless dude has been through a lot in his life - remember it was him who had to make the 911 call when River was dying
I'm betting that after 30 years he's sick of acting and was committed to do one last promo job for this movie - and did it half heartedlyHe may be serious about the hip hop thing and all this just amps up the curiousity
I haven't seen the Letterman clip, but he retired from acting back in October and said he wanted to concentrate on his music.Old link about retirement

whats missing in all of this is Lettermans ability to keep the interview going and the apologies to Farrah Fawcett line at the end was hilarious . At the end of the interview he takes off his glasses and must have said something to Dave to smooth it over.Letterman is still pretty sharp after all these years and made the interview what it was, I think Jimmy Kimmel would have done a great job as well.

whats missing in all of this is Lettermans ability to keep the interview going and the apologies to Farrah Fawcett line at the end was hilarious . At the end of the interview he takes off his glasses and must have said something to Dave to smooth it over.Letterman is still pretty sharp after all these years and made the interview what it was, I think Jimmy Kimmel would have done a great job as well.
Letterman had to know what he's up to. He had Andy kaufman on his show like 20 times.