online poker - seeing other players' hands

I saw a demonstration on Monday by a very bright young man who was servicing my friend's computer that blew me away. He said it was relatively easy to play poker online and see the pocket cards of other players at the table and when I pressed him (in disbelief) he demonstrated. He used my friend's wireless network and positioned 2 computers side by side. He had me log onto any poker site I played at (I chose Party Poker) and sit at a table of my choosing. I chose a $1-$2 Limit Hold-Em table and began playing. As I played he used the 2nd computer to access his own computer at home. He then used what he said was a Microsoft utility to identify the IP address of each player at the table. He then used his computer to access the IP address of 1 of the player's computers and get past the firewall (he said Norton's firewall was good - it would take him an extra 60 seconds to get past that - groan) and plant a utility of some sort on that player's computer. He then started typing (code? I'm no techie) like crazy and soon the 2nd computer sitting beside the one I was playing on showed the PP table and the players. Beside the name of player whose system he invaded were his 2 pocket cards! We watched long enough for that player to complete a few hands to a showdown to confirm that the pocket cards had been accurately displayed at the start of each hand. He then quickly shut everything down. This is an honest young man and he knew that he had done something inappropriate but he sure as hell proved to me that it could be done! No, he would NOT show us how to do it :)He says that he's been told it can take up to an hour at the high limit tables for PP to identify this type of activity with their investigatory systems, and even more if the perp is smart about how he plays to avoid triggering any of PP's security tracking devices. One could easily pocket some handsome change in that time period. I apologize for using a "dummy" ID to post this but I want to avoid any retaliatory action by PP.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, you can do this. not only is it against the rules of every site, it will get your ass arrested.
When do we start?lets go rob DreamClown and crew....Is this an alternate universe?Trace the OP IP and have him arrested.

Yes, arrest me for disclosing that this can happen to you, me, or anyone. Granted at the modest stakes I play it's unlikely I'll ever run into it. As to the legal ramifications I guess I'd wonder how much attention US authorities would pay to a report from a foreign gaming site? Certainly the cheater's IP address and personal information would be used to block him/her from the site but that's no comfort to those who were cheated!

I actually have no trouble at all believing that this can and does happen, but not on a regular basis. It's not terribly difficult to sniff out an IP address, and once you have it a talented cracker would be able to seize root access on the users computer and see everything the other user sees. Technically possible, but I don't think it's a widespread problem. And yes, you would absolutely get arrested for doing this. Regardless of the legality of the business in question, computer hacking is universally illegal.

Just because its "theoritically" possible doesnt mean it happened......... I'm calling his bluff; the story is total BS; especially for a first post :roll:
This coming from the guy who has 36 posts. Apparently with 35 more posts he will know what he is talking about . Is that what you are saying with this comment?
It's not terribly difficult to sniff out an IP address
I hate people who make wildly crazy statements like this offhandedly and then base an argument on it. How do you figure out someone's IP address who is playing on a poker site? You can't, you just can't. The only way would be to ask them, and most people, were they to for some reason want to tell you, couldn't tell you anyway. You just can't "sniff out" an IP address of a random person on a poker site.Now having said that, the rest of this post is possible. If you DID have someone's IP address (like if you were in the same room with the person and could look it up), then this would be possible, if you are running some sort of operating system that's not up to date with security patches, and if you don't have a good firewall set up, etc. I have no doubt this goes on, but the trick is getting the spying software on the person's machine to begin with, which is not near a trivial feat.
.... I'm calling his bluff; the story is total BS; especially for a first post :roll:
The OP inferred that he created this account just to make this post. Go get a cup of coffee. Try again.

I doubt someone could do that to me. For one, I don't use Norton Firewall. I've heard it's pretty difficult to break into someone's computer even if it isn't up to date on the patches. This is a BS post. However, I believe that if you had cable internet and someone on the same network as you was also playing poker, you might be able to see their cards and also their desktop screen. I've only heard this. You use a packet sniffer or something and do it.

.... I'm calling his bluff; the story is total BS; especially for a first post :roll:
The OP inferred that he created this account just to make this post. Go get a cup of coffee. Try again.
Sounds like a great cover to me.Does it take a friggin rocket scientist to realize that OP is really bored and wants to watch this topic blow up into a huge debate?I got 2-1 that says he's avid poster on these forums under a different name...... a mod can check this with a click of a button.
Sounds like a great cover to me.Does it take a friggin rocket scientist to realize that OP is really bored and wants to watch this topic blow up into a huge debate?I got 2-1 that says he's avid poster on these forums under a different name...... a mod can check this with a click of a button.
Huh? What just happened here?
It's not terribly difficult to sniff out an IP address
I hate people who make wildly crazy statements like this offhandedly and then base an argument on it. How do you figure out someone's IP address who is playing on a poker site? You can't, you just can't. The only way would be to ask them, and most people, were they to for some reason want to tell you, couldn't tell you anyway. You just can't "sniff out" an IP address of a random person on a poker site..
This is pretty much the end of this debate.I am alwaysone for open theory, however, we all know, and heard directly from the horses mouth that these poker sites will log you in, and send you required info when needed, (hands, and flops)The security is so ridiculous that you would have to hack PP or Poker stars to gain the info....and further more, if you had that info, why on earth would you waste your time playing them in poker, why wouldnt you get their account info, and simply chip dump their money to another account. etc....i rest my case