what is everyone reading right now?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOLI imagine this will not mean anything to you but I just finished reading Steve Waugh's "Out of my Comfort Zone".I enjoyed it. :-)

LOLI imagine this will not mean anything to you but I just finished reading Steve Waugh's "Out of my Comfort Zone".I enjoyed it. :-)
Was it good? I've been interested in getting it, but haven't yet.
I enjoyed it, but I'm a Cricket tragic.

had to read Novel Without a Name for school. pretty good, about a Vietnamese soldier during the Vietnam war and all they went through...interesting cuz the guy is extremely likable and there isnt much stuff about "the other side." also, unlike Americans, when the Vietnamese signed up for war, they were in it for the duration. this guy was in for 10 years, gave up marriage, etc etc. not much about actual war, just a bunch of journeys. i was happy to read it, though

had to read Novel Without a Name for school.  pretty good, about a Vietnamese soldier during the Vietnam war and all they went through...interesting cuz the guy is extremely likable and there isnt much stuff about "the other side."  also, unlike Americans, when the Vietnamese signed up for war, they were in it for the duration.  this guy was in for 10 years, gave up marriage, etc etc.  not much about actual war, just a bunch of journeys.  i was happy to read it, though
sounds similar to The Sorrow of War by Nao Binh. Phenomenal book written by a north vietnamese soldier. Nam war lit is one of my favorite genres.

I just finished the book A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. He wakes up on a airplane, with a hole in his cheek, and no idea where he is or what happened to him. For the sake of his family, he goes to an alcohol clinic, and tells the story of what happened to him during his stay in rehab. True shitIt's brutal. I'm a drunk, so it scared me nearly to death. If there's a God, he'll probably put me in a situation like that, someday. Also, the best new book I've read in the last 2 years is "The Kite Runner." Tough to explain, but the sparse prose and strong writing make it a real real real real winner. I'm not a "literature snob" at all. Stephen King is my favorite author and I think James Joyce eats squirrel jizz. But both of these books are very well written, very easily readable, and very worth reading.Wang

also, i had to read another surprisingly good book for school, this one i really enjoyed. its called the Farming of the Bones by Edwidge Danticat. I just love this book. its about a Haitian immigrant in the Dominican Republic. I highly recommend this one, its really well-written. P.S. the author of Novel Without a Name is Duong Thu Huong. sorry!one other book i read is Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich. as a social work major, this hit close to home. this lady is a professional woman making lots of money (cant remember if shes a social work supervisor or something human services related) and she leaves her job temporarily for 4 months i believe. forgive me, its been awhile. anyway she leaves her job to take on "meaningless" full-time minimum wage range jobs, 1 each month, in different parts of the country to prove how hard it is just to survive on her own, let alone raise a family. she is a merry maid, she works at walmart, she is a waitress, and she does something else like that.really interesting and makes the reader feel grateful for what they have, no matter what that may be. it is awesome.

In Cold Blood by Capote. It was good. Very Different.
I piss on that book.Also, I fucked his great-niece. Or 2nd cousin. Something like that. True story.I actually don't hate the book, I just used to live in Kansas, and it gets talked about a LOT there.Wang

"The game of their lives" It is a quick read about the 1950 world cup soccer upset of England by the United States. It goes back and forth between the game and the lives of the players before and after the game. If you are a soccer fan it is worth reading.The Penny

Was it good? I've been interested in getting it, but haven't yet.
I enjoyed it, but I'm a Cricket tragic.
I love cricket too, but i actually heard from someone that it wasn't that great, but i think i'm going to check it out anyway.

IN cold blood!! Love that book!! I'm looking forward to seeing the capote movie...How the irish saved civilization, huh? I didn't know potatoes were used in making peniclin... j/king.. I know the story.. go monks.. monks rule, priests blow ( save your jokes..)I'm reading Surviver , by Chuck Palachunk, the author of fight club.. hit and miss. very cynical, and I like that.. but a little.. lacking...Also will use this space to plug Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. Best book ever..

I jump around...a lot.Book I'm currently reading:Just Checking by Emily Colas A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave EggarsTake the Cannoli : Stories From the New World by Sarah VowellDress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David SedarisOh, and if you liked A Million Little Pieces, read Frey's follow-up, My Friend Leonard.

I read "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson. Excellent nonfiction book, it's about John Chatterton and Richie Kohler (the guys from Deep Sea Detectives on the History Channel) and how they discovered and identified a WWII U-Boat off the coast of New Jersey. It's also about the men themselves, and how obsessed the became over the project and how it affected their lives. Awesome book, I highly recommend it. Made me want to take up deep sea diving.

I'm reading ''the Wheel of Time'' serie by Robert Jordan. Something like LOTR but ten times better.And I've got The Professor, The Banker and the suicideking waiting to be read.
If by ten times better you mean rambling, inhorent, melodramatic soap opera. WoT is about the worst thing I've ever read I started reading it as a youth, and as I've gotten older, My tastse have change, but I for some reason couldn'g stop reading the series untill like book five. The book is so long, so bloated it takes forever for it to actually go anywhere. Just book after book, after book of filler. It's truly awful.
I'm reading ''the Wheel of Time'' serie by Robert Jordan. Something like LOTR but ten times better.And I've got The Professor, The Banker and the suicideking waiting to be read.
Ummm, yeah, not possible. I intend to pick up My Life by Bill Clinton over the holidays. It's been sitting on my coffee table forever, patiently waiting. Like Doucheclown or DN or whoever is waiting this time.I just finished SSHE again. 2nd time through.Also gonna try to get through Does It Matter by Alan Watts. I've been trying to read this one for ages but just can't seem to get in the right frame of mind for a philosophical discussion on materialism.